[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Galileo THANX! :D

6360545046744624101174412579_write%202.g

No idea whether it's related, but I'm getting this odd texture weirdness at gas giants:

K9YFN3l.png

Only appears at certain angles. I do have the updated Kopernicus .dll, and the ring shadow at Tellumo looks fine (and awesome!). I noted the brown gas giant inward of Gauss here (I forget the name, the one with the big moon/planet that has a moon too) didn't have a ring at all, is that right?

@JadeOfMaar Confirmed, in 6.4 RA-100 works out to Gauss, not Leto. Not sure where it cuts off in between.

This issue was fixed in the latest update. You need to delete the scatterer and GPPVE that came with 1.2.0 and just install a fresh copy of Scatterer

@Galileo and @JadeOfMaar

Galileo Sorry dodn't seen your replay yesterday but i will go for it today in the evening to provide Koordinates and some more pictures. Like mapview for ComNet.

JadeOfMaar i dont Think it is the KSC2 because on Picture im at max 500m away (You can See some trees there?) And the plane didn't have Signal to the "thing" only too 2 satelites around Iota. KSC2 provide "Baikobanur"?

And ty for commentar. This Beauty is Perfect way to search for anomalies. LS and hab time for 1/2 Year, Energy is good for 32 Years and "Infinite" fuel:D. Some tweacking and i Think i have a SSTA.

Funny Kabooms

Urses.

PS: i found this "thing" in 1.2 have to look if it is present in 1.2.1

Edited by Urses

2 minutes ago, Urses said:

@Galileo and @JadeOfMaar

Galileo Sorry dodn't seen your replay yesterday but i will go for it today in the evening to provide Koordinates and some more pictures. Like mapview for ComNet.

JadeOfMaar i dont Think it os the KSC2 because on Picture im at may 500m away (You can See some trees there?) And the plain didn't have Signal to the "thing" obly too 2 satelotes around Iota.

And ty for commentar. This Beauty is Perfect way to search for anomalies. LS and hab time for 1/2 Year, Energy is good for 32 Years and "Infinite" fuel:D. Some tweacking and i Think i have a SSTA.

Funny Kabooms

Urses.

PS: i found this "thing" in 1.2 have to look if it is present in 1.2.1

Well, the maps didn't change so it probably still exists. I'll wait for your coordinates so I can apply a fix. Thanks for bringing it up.

11 hours ago, slubman said:

Hello,

A brand new installation, where I just downloaded KSP 1.2.2.

Started the game once.

Installed the newest GPP 1.2.1 and kopernicus 1.2.2-5

I go in the main menu and try to create a new career, but flags appear in double (the GPP ones, and some but not all squads one):

FlDfT3x.png

LxQF6GJ.png

zDwsqqs.png

If I try to create a new career before installing kopernicus and GPP, no flag in double.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

No you aren't doing anything wrong here, I have seen it once before but the issue went away. What I did to fix it escapes me at the moment. I may have done nothing and the issue have fixed itself, I can't quite remember. @JadeOfMaar have you seen this issue before? What could be causing it? The decals maybe?(hopefully not)

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge issue but it is something we will look into.

Edited by Galileo

I have a small problem with the included Delta-V-Map:

I just tried to send my first interplanetary satellite, destination Hox (first transfer window in a new game). The Delta-V-Map says I need 1.730 Delta-V to get an intercept, but planning the Hohmann transfer right after leaving Gaels SOI gives me much higher numbers (somewhere around 4.000).

For Iota and Ceti the map was fine, but I don't know where the difference comes from... Its statet that the numbers in the map are given for normal Hohmann transfers, so I guess they don't include slingshots or similar tactics.

The same for Niven, according to the map its only 90 Delta-V for an intercept, but just getting the PE down to its orbits takes a couple of thousand Delta-V, too.
Am I doing or interpreting something wrong? Are those Numbers meant to be used for a direct intercept burn at Gaels PE (without leaving Gaels SOI first and THEN planing the transfer)?

PS: Its my first save without using mechjeb doing everything and heavily overengineering my crafts, and I never really used the Delta-V-Map for the stock system, so I cant compare :/

Edited by Keranolist

10 minutes ago, Keranolist said:

Its my first save without using mechjeb doing everything and heavily overengineering my crafts, and I never really used the Delta-V-Map for the stock system, so I cant compare :/

If i understand your problem right.

The Stats in the map are the Stats from a point to next point. Like Ciro Orbit to Hox intercept need 1730. But you need all the steps to go to Ciro Orbit too. Gael LKO to Gael Escape to Ciro orbit and than HOX intercept. Thus means you need to Add all thw steps before from your Start to your target. I hope this helps.

Funny Kabooms

Urses

Edited by Urses

I understand this :wink:

I have my craft already outside Gaels SOI and in an circular orbit around the sun (PE and AP roughly 14GM) . From there I wanted to intercept, but I need the 4.000 dV for just getting the AP up to the Hox Orbit of 427GM.

14 minutes ago, Keranolist said:

I understand this :wink:

Would not be patronising:blush: But Meet the problem some times, the first though was the right one.

Maybe it would be helpful to See your maneuver plot and to know if you play rescaled.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses.

PS: for me it feels like you burn retrograde or on the start window calculation is something fishy.

With your numbers one of the math Cracks can help you than.

Funny Kabooms

Urses

2 hours ago, Keranolist said:

I just tried to send my first interplanetary satellite, destination Hox (first transfer window in a new game). The Delta-V-Map says I need 1.730 Delta-V to get an intercept, but planning the Hohmann transfer right after leaving Gaels SOI gives me much higher numbers (somewhere around 4.000).

What you appear to be overlooking from the dv map is the 820 dv for the plane change to Hox's orbit, but that doesn't get you up to 4K dv.  Are you sure you're planning the burn at the optimal time for a Hohman transfer?

I'm not sure how the dv map's numbers were done, but be aware that doing multiple burns (i.e., first getting to a circular solar orbit, then transferring to hox) should be less efficient than a direct burn from low Gael orbit to intercept Hox.  Note that this isn't always true, as sometimes it's more efficient to do plane change burns separately, but usually doing multiple large burns is less efficient.  The maps numbers may have been determined with a more efficient strategy.

Furthermore, the game-year at which you do the transfer matters, because the destination's position changes.  The distance from Cirus (periapsis vs. apoapsis) doesn't matter that much, but its distance above or below the ecliptic plane matters a LOT.  That determines how much of plane change your ship will need for the rendezvous.  Catch Hox while it's near its ascending/descending node with Gael and it will take a lot less dv to reach than when it's 90 degrees further along in its orbit.

FWIW, TWP (Transfer WIndow Planner) around day 0 shows an intercept (for a flyby) from a 100 km Gael orbit to hox as needing 2820 dv for a 7 year trip.  That includes the 935 to reach Gael's SOI, so about 1900 dv should be close near the beginning of the game.  Note that TWP doesn't always pick good defaults for the transit time boundaries, so if it puts the "best" result right at the top or bottom of the porkchop plot, you should extend its search limits.

Also note that the optimal transfer for going into orbit isn't always the best for a flyby.  If you want to go into a 100 km Hox orbit, the optimal ejection burn from Gael increases by several hundred dv, but you save it on the other end when you do the Hox orbit insertion.  And the trip is 19 years instead of 7.

Using Mechjeb gives similar results.  From a 100 km Gael orbit, it gives a 2822 burn around day 248 that intercepts Hox in year 14.  It then needs about a 2500 dv insertion burn.

Thanks for the explanation, AG5BPilot!

For now, I don't care that much about how much dV I need in the end, I just want to know it in advance to build the spacecraft accordingly (doing it in the most efficent way will be a thing for later flights :)).

Since the stats in the map seem to be the very best cases I won't refer to them so strictly but instead use TWP to choose my own tradeoff between efficency, launch time and transfer time.

Aww... Jeb will hate me for planning ahead and not just "aim and thrust!" :wink:

3 minutes ago, Keranolist said:

Aww... Jeb will hate me for planning ahead and not just "aim and thrust!" :wink:

Use LS than is he more patiently:wink: No Plan no Snacks!

I am Not realy Sure (Not on PC at the moment) but aren't there flighttimes by the dV Numbers too? Maybe you chose a faster arrival as estimated in the Map?

Urses

3 hours ago, Keranolist said:

For Iota and Ceti the map was fine, but I don't know where the difference comes from... Its statet that the numbers in the map are given for normal Hohmann transfers, so I guess they don't include slingshots or similar tactics.

The same for Niven, according to the map its only 90 Delta-V for an intercept, but just getting the PE down to its orbits takes a couple of thousand Delta-V, too.
Am I doing or interpreting something wrong? Are those Numbers meant to be used for a direct intercept burn at Gaels PE (without leaving Gaels SOI first and THEN planing the transfer)?

PS: Its my first save without using mechjeb doing everything and heavily overengineering my crafts, and I never really used the Delta-V-Map for the stock system, so I cant compare :/

The delta-v numbers assume you are burning from low Gael orbit on a direct transfer. Essentially, you can use the velocity you need to escape Gael as part of your transfer burn. What matters is your velocity when you leave Gael's SOI - this velocity increases rapidly as you exceed escape velocity. An extra 1 km/s in LGO (getting you to about 4.2 km/s) will have you leaving Gael's SOI with something like 3 km/s, not 1 km/s - you "save" 2 km/s. If you time it right, that 2 km/s will give you half of what you need to get to Hox. In fact, you can get ALL of the required velocity (including the plane change) in ONE burn from LGO - the delta-V for that burn would be equal to adding up the values on the chart. 

What you are doing is the following:

1. Burn to escape Gael. Just barely make it out, losing all your velocity to Gael's Gravity. Cost: ~ 1 km/s

2. Raise your AP while in Solar Orbit. Cost: ~4 km/s

3. Correction Burn(s) to encounter Hox. Cost: <1 km/s

What you should do:

1. Burn to escape Gael from about the evening terminator. Give it some extra push, so you end up leaving Gael's SOI with about 4 km/s. This will have your solar orbit AP at Hox's orbit. Cost: About 2700 m/s (You start at about 5 km/s, lose one as you fly out due to Gael's gravity)

2. Correction Burn (if you can't plot a plane change as part of your ejection burn). Cost: < 1 km/s

You save a LOT of fuel this way. 

I didnt check how long the trip would have been at the first attempt, but the map gives a tedious 30 years for the transfer with only 1.730 dV.

15 minutes ago, Urses said:

Use LS than is he more patiently:wink: No Plan no Snacks!

I am Not realy Sure (Not on PC at the moment) but aren't there flighttimes by the dV Numbers too? Maybe you chose a faster arrival as estimated in the Map?

Urses

I didn't check the duration of the first attempt, but I'm pretty sure you're right. The map with its 1.730 dV gives a tedious 30 years for the transfer.

9 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

What you should do:

1. Burn to escape Gael from about the evening terminator. Give it some extra push, so you end up leaving Gael's SOI with about 4 km/s. This will have your solar orbit AP at Hox's orbit. Cost: About 2700 m/s (You start at about 5 km/s, lose one as you fly out due to Gael's gravity)

2. Correction Burn (if you can't plot a plane change as part of your ejection burn). Cost: < 1 km/s

You save a LOT of fuel this way. 

Since It's my first attempt to plan it by myself beforehand, instead of mechjeb-button-pushing, I tried to do it step by step first. I'll give it a new try with a direct transfer this evening and will see how it works :wink:)

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ckan is fine for EVE and Scatterer now

Ok, fresh install of EVE & Scatterer, still getting the weird texture thing:

IRCe7Ms.png

39YZNXF.png

Log here if it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrt61pyyakwbxzs/KSP.log?dl=0

@JadeOfMaar Also, confirmed, weak but usable signal with RA-100 @ Nero in 6.4x :D 

22 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ok, fresh install of EVE & Scatterer, still getting the weird texture thing:

IRCe7Ms.png

39YZNXF.png

Log here if it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrt61pyyakwbxzs/KSP.log?dl=0

@JadeOfMaar Also, confirmed, weak but usable signal with RA-100 @ Nero in 6.4x :D 

Post your MM cfg please. 

Edited by Galileo

@RoverDude - I see you're playing with the 2.5x Rescale config. If you are using the stock CommNet, which I'm sure you are, that config multiplies the antenna power values by a factor of 2.5. If you install the Custom Barn Kit mod by Sarbian also, the DSN power values will also be multiplied by that same factor, thus giving you the performance of the antennas in proportion to the stock sized system.

Just thought you may like to know. Also anyone else using a rescaled system, I recommend installing the above referenced mod. :D 

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

@RoverDude - I see you're playing with the 2.5x Rescale config. If you are using the stock CommNet, which I'm sure you are, that config multiplies the antenna power values by a factor of 2.5. If you install the Custom Barn Kit mod by Sarbian also, the DSN power values will also be multiplied by that same factor, thus giving you the performance of the antennas in proportion to the stock sized system.

Just thought you may like to know. Also anyone else using a rescaled system, I recommend installing the above referenced mod. :D 

And if you've installed Strategia via CKAN, you already have Custom Barn Kit!

14 hours ago, Galileo said:

Well, the maps didn't change so it probably still exists. I'll wait for your coordinates so I can apply a fix. Thanks for bringing it up.

@GalileoStatus report.

first at all if you take staelite Comlines as Navigationhelp don't forget... they move....(facepalm). i does 2 cirumnavigations till now at equator and at 10 degree south till now.

Why there?

Spoiler

7228SgQ.png

This 2 Comrays was the hint to look for me why they are go there and i don't have any Anomalie Scannings there.

The Comstation in backgroumd is the Harvester Mastiff on other side of the planet and is NOT on a line. The Comlines go direktly to center of Gael

HZ7idss.png

the both comlines are only present if Iota is on this side of Planet(kGSC) and i though i can find the "Glitch"-Mountain this way.

my next though was maybe this thing is somehow time or line bound. like Only if Iota is above a special point. But i don't have the time of my contact and no coordinates. I hope it was from a mod conflict with 1.2.

my actual Stand "the glitch is not present anymore"

3 minutes ago, Urses said:

@GalileoStatus report.

first at all if you take staelite Comlines as Navigationhelp don't forget... they move....(facepalm). i does 2 cirumnavigations till now at equator and at 10 degree south till now.

Why there?

Hide contents

7228SgQ.png

This 2 Comrays was the hint to look for me why they are go there and i don't have any Anomalie Scannings there.

The Comstation in backgroumd is the Harvester Mastiff on other side of the planet and is NOT on a line. The Comlines go direktly to center of Gael

HZ7idss.png

the both comlines are only present if Iota is on this side of Planet(kGSC) and i though i can find the "Glitch"-Mountain this way.

my next though was maybe this thing is somehow time or line bound. like Only if Iota is above a special point. But i don't have the time of my contact and no coordinates. I hope it was from a mod conflict with 1.2.

my actual Stand "the glitch is not present anymore"

Thanks for looking. I will keep my eyes open for something like this

I finally got to start the Catullus Spaceplane. Because it has so few wings and always has fallen down, I have used a completely new (at least for me) way to get it in the air.

pzQw4S6.jpg

After 3598 attempts I finally brought it into the orbit.

CIoG5f2.jpg

On Catulluss, this performs much better than on Gael.:confused: