[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

9 hours ago, Keranolist said:

I have a small problem with the included Delta-V-Map ...

You've already gotten some good replies on this issue, but since I'm the one who computed the numbers in the ∆v map, I figured I might as well jump in.  As others have explained, burning just enough to escape Gael's SOI, waiting until you leave Gael's SOI, and then performing the transfer burn from solar orbit is very inefficient.  This is a big part of the reason your ∆v is much higher than the map says.  The 1730 m/s given for Hox (and 90 m/s for Niven) assumes that you are performing a combination burn from low Gael orbit that provides the velocity to both escape and to put you on a transfer trajectory to your target.  From low Gael orbit, a transfer to Hox should cost you a minimum of 935 + 1730 = 2665 m/s.  That number is for a Hohmann transfer with no plane change.

It's likely you're also going to have to perform some amount of plane change, so this ∆v must be added.  The Hohmann transfer ∆v assumes that you start from an equatorial orbit (inclination = 0) around Gael, but because of the latitude of the launch site, it's not possible to insert directly into an equatorial orbit.  If you insert into orbit and then perform a plane change to lower the inclination to 0, that will take 345 m/s.  Depending on the details of the transfer burn, it might be possible to incorporate some or all of the plane change into the transfer burn, which can potentially save you quite a bit.  The 345 m/s is the worse case.  You'll probably also have to perform some sort of plane change to reach the target planet.  The plane change ∆v shown in the ∆v map assumes that the plane change is performed as a mid-course correction 90 degree from target intercept.  This technique is illustrated below:

fig5-05.gif

I chose to list the ∆v in this way (Hohmann transfer + mid-course plane change) because it was easy to compute numbers - trying to do it any other way introduces way too many variables.  The plane change ∆v listed assumes the maximum amount of plane change.  The real answer could be anywhere between 0 and the amount listed.  Although you can perform the interplanetary transfer as shown in the figure above, it's also possible to perform the plane change in combination with the transfer burn in low Gael orbit.  In this case your interplanetary transfer looks something like this:

fig5-06.gif

Whether you perform the transfer as shown in Fig 5.5 or 5.6, the total ∆v will be about the same.

So the maximum ∆v that it takes to reach Hox (assuming it's done at a launch window) is about, 935 + 345 + 1730 + 820 = 3,830 m/s (not counting launch to Gael orbit).  The reason you're higher than this (4 km/s) is almost certainly because of your technique, i.e. performing the transfer burn from solar orbit rather than low Gael orbit.

Edited by OhioBob

@Galileo

I am also still seeing that scatterer glitch. GPP 1.2.1 and fresh installs of EVE and Scatterer, and the new Kopernicus dll you linked. I deleted my mm config cache after install just to be sure.

Here is my MM cache and a copy of the GPP_Scatterer.cfg that is in my install (I changed the sunflare stuff because I'm using a different one but that is all I changed).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4j0xbhpxtetx2fy/AACsnM5todn2xjPeBogCKUnJa?dl=0

Also a link to an album but you already know what it looks like lol

Hey look at that imgur albums are working again!

11 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

@Galileo

I am also still seeing that scatterer glitch. GPP 1.2.1 and fresh installs of EVE and Scatterer, and the new Kopernicus dll you linked. I deleted my mm config cache after install just to be sure.

Here is my MM cache and a copy of the GPP_Scatterer.cfg that is in my install (I changed the sunflare stuff because I'm using a different one but that is all I changed).

Does this occur on an install where you have installed GPP 1.2.1 over the top of an older GPP 1.1.* or 1.2.0 install, or is it occurring on a brand new, clean GPP 1.2.1 install?

As the directory and file structure drastically changed, I'm wondering whether you have any rogue, residual scatterer configs laying around that shouldn't exist anymore.

16 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

You've already gotten some good replies on this issue, but since I'm the one who computed the numbers in the ∆v map, I figured I might as well jump in.  As others have explained, burning just enough to escape Gael's SOI, waiting until you leave Gael's SOI, and then performing the transfer burn from solar orbit is very inefficient.  This is a big part of the reason your ∆v is much higher than the map says.  The 1730 m/s given for Hox (and 90 m/s for Niven) assumes that you are performing a combination burn from low Gael orbit that provides the velocity to both escape and to put you on a transfer trajectory to your target.  From low Gael orbit, a transfer to Hox should cost you a minimum of 935 + 1730 = 2665 m/s.  That number if for a Hohmann transfer with no plane change.

It is worth noting that you will almost always be at least slightly off the ideal trajectory - porkchop plots for these kind of transfers have a global minimum (per periodic cycle), a couple local minima (corresponding to different kinds of transfer orbits) and a whole lot of slightly suboptimal solution space surrounding them. You will likely need a little more delta-v on ejection, especially if your orbit is a little more inclined than the minimum possible from your launch site. 

Also, small errors on ejection can lead to BIG differences in capture requirements, especially for highly eccentric transfer orbits. Going slightly too fast leaving Gael's SOI (then correcting your orbit to still hit Hox) will result in a lot more excess velocity on Hox SOI entry, as you are close to a solar escape trajectory. Thalia and Icarus are also difficult in this respect, especially since the Oberth effect can't bail you out like it can for Tellumo (or even Gratian/Niven - these both have decent gravity). 

I recommend using Mechjeb to start out - planning interplanetary transfers on your own is not THAT hard, but planning GOOD ones is much, much harder. I still can't do it - I just overdesign my rockets to make up for my limitations. 

Public service announcement: 

If you just copied 1.2.1 over 1.2.0 you will still get the scatterer issue on gas giants. It's never a good idea to just overwrite mods when an update comes out. It's good practice to remove old versions completely and reinstall everything from scratch. Never assume the changes were minute.

for those of you still experiencing the scatterer issue: wipe your gamedata of any mod that came with GPP and reinstall it. This goes for GPP itself. A LOT changed from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1, even if it doesn't look like it in the change log. 

48 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Does this occur on an install where you have installed GPP 1.2.1 over the top of an older GPP 1.1.* or 1.2.0 install, or is it occurring on a brand new, clean GPP 1.2.1 install?

As the directory and file structure drastically changed, I'm wondering whether you have any rogue, residual scatterer configs laying around that shouldn't exist anymore.

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Public service announcement: 

If you just copied 1.2.1 over 1.2.0 you will still get the scatterer issue on gas giants. It's never a good idea to just overwrite mods when an update comes out. It's good practice to remove old versions completely and reinstall everything from scratch. Never assume the changes were minute.

for those of you still experiencing the scatterer issue: wipe your gamedata of any mod that came with GPP and reinstall it. This goes for GPP itself. A LOT changed from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1, even if it doesn't look like it in the change log. 

Yeah I never just install over top of something, been doing this long enough to know that is just asking for trouble lol. I deleted everything from GPP when I installed 1.2.0 and again when installing 1.2.1

I'll try it in a new install with just GPP and dependencies and see if it happens there.

18 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Yeah I never just install over top of something, been doing this long enough to know that is just asking for trouble lol. I deleted everything from GPP when I installed 1.2.0 and again when installing 1.2.1

I'll try it in a new install with just GPP and dependencies and see if it happens there.

I believe you but i thought this might be an issue so i may as well just let others know.

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I recommend using Mechjeb to start out - planning interplanetary transfers on your own is not THAT hard, but planning GOOD ones is much, much harder. I still can't do it - I just overdesign my rockets to make up for my limitations. 

QFT. Especially with the forced inclination of launching away from the equator, I can't recommend MJ's porkchop transfer planner enough for planning interplanetary flights. Otherwise it's a lot of math and plain ol' trial and error. Which is cool, if you're, y'know, into that sort of thing.  <_<

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Is this the kind of thing that would show up in the MM cache? Like the other guy, I'm 90% sure I wiped everything. But it's like 8000 patches, so...

Currently trying to get my 11000 ton Thalia mission into orbit - the emancipator nuclear engine lets me get to Thalia if I can just put 1000 tons into orbit.

Issue is, my last two launch attempts led to my crew pod being Kraken swat into a 938 km/s solar escape trajectory. 43 Vectors is not the most stable sustainer configuration - lesson learned.

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I've got the same graphical issue on a new clean GPP 1.2.1 install.

Edited by Shnyrik

9 hours ago, Akira_R said:

@Galileo

Also a link to an album but you already know what it looks like lol

Hey look at that imgur albums are working again!

@blackrack I don't actually experience this in my game, but it seems some people are still seeing this even after i applied what fixed it for me. Maybe you can take a look and see something i cant

5 minutes ago, Shnyrik said:

I've got the same bug on a new clean GPP 1.2.1 install.

Will you post your output log for me? so maybe @blackrack can take a look....

@Galileo @blackrack

I have narrowed it down to texture replacer. 

New install of KSP, install GPP and all dependencies plus EVE and Scatterer and there is no issue, put Texture Replacer in and I get the issue.

Edit: Here is a link to the out put log in case that is useful.

Edited by Akira_R

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

@Galileo @blackrack

I have narrowed it down to texture replacer. 

New install of KSP, install GPP and all dependencies plus EVE and Scatterer and there is no issue, put Texture Replacer in and I get the issue.

Edit: Here is a link to the out put log in case that is useful.

Delete all of the small pink textures in the default folder and see if that fixes it. I JUST realized i deleted mine and that may be why im not seeing this issue. I swear, if that's the issue I'm gonna punch myself in the face....

EDIT: I can confirm that is the issue.... ow...ow...ow...ow...ouch...ow...ow

in an attempt to save everyone some ram, I caused a headache. Sorry guys. Just delete those textures an the issue goes away

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a bighter note, I have City Lights for Gael again if anyone is interested.

GPP_CityLights

Requires EVE

Drop into your GameData and enjoy

Edited by Galileo

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I swear, if that's the issue I'm gonna punch myself in the face....

EDIT: I can confirm that is the issue.... ow...ow...ow...ow...ouch...ow...ow

Don't do it we need your Head clear!:wink:

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

GPP_CityLights

Requires EVE

Drop into your GameData and enjoy

Thank You! Nightflight is no more Black in Black :D

Funny Kabooms

Urses

Edited by Urses

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Delete all of the small pink textures in the default folder and see if that fixes it. I JUST realized i deleted mine and that may be why im not seeing this issue. I swear, if that's the issue I'm gonna punch myself in the face....

Sounds like scatterer is using default planet textures for some effects then, something that doesn't seem too relevant in a system without the stock planets that doesn't use those resources itself. Hard to keep track of dependencies outside of your own project  :confused:

24 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Galileo Yup, can confirm, deleting the pink textures fixed the issue. :D

Also, I notice Rald isn't quite where I left it. IIRC you changed something with when the game "starts" that might move stuff, was anything changed that would affect orbits as well?

When you gave me your files you didn't give me your kopernicus cfg for Rald, so I had no idea where you had it. I just used the inner moon cfg from the Rald download. So it probably did change from where you had it. 

I'm working on adding some color to Gaels desert. 

uwV7NgR.png

I23JIMU.png

Also, I will try to get a small update out soon that includes the new color map and removes those darn texture replacer textures. 

Another thing, I think I found a small bug with Sigma Binary in which you cannot tab to or select a body outside of the Gauss system. For the time being, I am removing the sigma binary code from the Catullus cfg. 

Maybe @Sigma88 can shed some light on the issue.