[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

19 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

While flying I went into the KSP settings to see if any tweaks had any impact. After having pushed accept, *poof*, back to max fps. unfortunately the slow degradation continued. but it seemed as if some re-initialization or garbage dumping were made engine-wise. IDK.. :blink:

14 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Call this weird. Maybe its just me, but for some reason flashing the flight log ( F3 ) always gives me an FPS boost. Im not sure why, but ive been doing it for a LONG time and it helps. It seems to be the same effect SkyKaptn mentioned above.

You guys should check to see if this happens in stock and if it does, make a bug report. That is certainly weird 

22 hours ago, Senzipo said:

Quick question concerning the gas giants atmo curves here-  I warped a rigid airship quite capable of flying at Tellumo to Nero.  I wasn't surprised to find no visible atmosphere changes aside from rentry heating as I descended with massive heat shields to it's core- I'm guessing it was made to be more deadly than stock Jool, and not ultimately intended to be survivable.  However, I was quite confused to find the airship wasn't buoyant at any altitude, eventually crashing quite slowly into the 'ground'.  Given the planet's lighter gravity and larger ASL pressure, this is confusing.  Even if you weren't anticipating space zeppelins, the atmo and gravity should have been more than sufficient to keep the sucker afloat.  Are you sure Nero's lower atmosphere curve is working correctly?  Or am I misinterpreting something fundamental about the atmosphere model here?  Or maybe it's bad buoyancy modelling on the airship mod's part?

First, the atmospheres of the gas giants in GPP weren't made to be any more or any less deadly than Jool.  In fact, they weren't made with Jool in mind at all.  The atmospheres were developed completely from scratch based on the physical characteristics of each individual planet and using the ideal gas law.

Second, it's not surprising your airship sank.  Nero's atmosphere is predominately hydrogen, so there is no way an airship can attain the buoyancy needed to say aloft.  Your airship may be "lighter than air" on Gael and Tellumo, but not so on Nero.  Hydrogen is the lightest gas, so there's nothing you can put in your airship that will make it float in an atmosphere of hydrogen.

I realised this morning that GPP in 3.2x is going to change how I handle science labs... Normally I just heft one into LKO at the equator and rendezvous all returning ships with it there, but with Ceti being miles out and on an inclination, that could be a heck of a lot of extra fuel required (over 1700m/s if I don't use aerobraking to drop the AP).

Instead I think I'm going to have to punt the lab all the way out to Ceti. Since it's much smaller than Gael and returning landers have to establish local orbit anyway, doing the rendezvous there will need a lot less additional fuel. 

But having established that... it might as well be a fuel station, and there might as well only be one lander that just dips down and taps up every biome in turn and quite possibly never returns to Kerbin at all.

Which is going to change the research priorities away from nervas and towards docking ports and RCS and possibly the 2-3 kerman command capsules.

Unless I completely abandon kermanned exploration for a while and shoot things for distant planets in the hopes of getting some decent science returns there.

MY BRAIN WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS PROBLEM! I love it :) 

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

*snip*

I'm putting a station (lander, fuel, science in one) around Ceti after I'm done with collecting science with planes. My plan was to do one around Gael, but due to the inclination I can get heavy fuel losses. With an engine-part I could mobilize the station, so I have one for missions outside of the Gael system.

Love it so far.

Thnx Galileo and others for this wonderful mod, haven't seen a better planet pack in my 3,5 years playtime. (and I played many, MAAAANY planet packs.)

Edited by DarkFighter

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Erg... I hate to be "that guy" but are DOE and PlanetShine still bundled with the new release?

Yes, look in Optional Mods/Extra Visual Mods/GameData/.

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Gotch, will check again, I wasn't seeing the config buttons. 

Also, I noticed Texture Replacer won't let me remove a helmet on Gael, no breathable armor?

Are you using the texture replacer included in GPP? Works perfectly for me. 

Just played GPP for the first time.

I'm... I'm at a loss for words. This is the most epic thing I've ever seen. Also, I think this has been the first time in months that I have actually played KSP, and GPP delivered. Landed on Iota and Ceti within 50 in-game days, both missions went just right. Surprising, as I used to be terrible at KSP...

But right now there are only two questions on my mind:

Spoiler

1. How the heck did you make those textures?! :0.0: Mother of mercy, those are absolutely gorgeous!

2. How am I ever gonna make something that is at least comparable to this?! :0.0::0.0::0.0:

Holy cow did this pack deliver. It blows up my laptop (it actually crashed the thing... but then again it's an Intel i3-3110M dual core processor plus an Intel HD Graphics 4000, so that's not enough power for this pack by far), but on my desktop it works like a charm. Never has KSP looked this absolutely breathtaking.

I salute you, @Galileo. You're an absolute god, man. :confused: *Faints of epicness*

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Second, it's not surprising your airship sank.  Nero's atmosphere is predominately hydrogen, so there is no way an airship can attain the buoyancy needed to say aloft.  Your airship may be "lighter than air" on Gael and Tellumo, but not so on Nero.  Hydrogen is the lightest gas, so there's nothing you can put in your airship that will make it float in an atmosphere of hydrogen.

Oh man, of course, thanks. Based off my bad reading of the Nero config files, I guess I was under the impression that the lower atmosphere would be a denser hydrogen gas, compressed by the upper atmosphere.  

I don't know IRL gas giant atmospheres work, and didn't suspect both GPP and HLA airships would model densities off the real density of hydrogen.  I expected it either to drop like a stone or stay buoyant, not to act like an air-filled balloon in a normal air environment.

@Poodmund & @Galileo...you two are seriously costing me money...I broke down and bought a new graphics card today just so I could fully experience all your work. I think a GTX 980 Ti should cut it, so bring on your sandstorms, your moon dust and your clouds!!  :)

Edited by Tyko

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CattyNebulart That's a normal bug feature of Scatterer and its ocean shader. :P Now I'm curious about your Gas Mapper craft.

It's just a probe with 2 scansat sensors (terrain and biome) on the way to the first gas giant to map it and maybe its moons if it has enough DV. Candle nuclear engine on the final stage.

37 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Poodmund & @Galileo...you two are seriously costing me money...I broke down and bought a new graphics card today just so I could fully experience all your work. I think a GTX 980 Ti should cut it, so bring on your sandstorms, your moon dust and your clouds!!  :)

Sorry...  glad that what we have put together here is worth such upgrades. Makes us feel good

Really loving this new update. the new texture for OTHO is a huge improvement and it looks really nice. I was wondering, have you considered making one of the gas giants a "hot Jupiter" as they are quite common in our galaxy. It would be a rather sudden, massive change if implemented but I was wondering about your thoughts on it. If not this wonderful pack are there any that have a "hot Jupiter"?

Tyler

45 minutes ago, Tyko said:

:D I run with a 980Ti too with a 3770k @ 4.3GHz, Seems to cope just fine.

49 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Really loving this new update. the new texture for OTHO is a huge improvement and it looks really nice. I was wondering, have you considered making one of the gas giants a "hot Jupiter" as they are quite common in our galaxy. It would be a rather sudden, massive change if implemented but I was wondering about your thoughts on it. If not this wonderful pack are there any that have a "hot Jupiter"?

Tyler

I haven't thought about adding. Moving one of our gas giants that close would be hard because it would move all of its moons with it and we would have reparent them. That's just a whole lotta work like you said.

I don't know of another pack that has one.

if you wanted to mess with the configs and do it yourself, be my guest. Just change the SMA in the cfgs and repartent the moons by hanging their reference bodies, and you should be good. The hard part would be adjusting the atmosphere and I have no idea what that would look like.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Senzipo said:

I don't know IRL gas giant atmospheres work, and didn't suspect both GPP and HLA airships would model densities off the real density of hydrogen.  I expected it either to drop like a stone or stay buoyant, not to act like an air-filled balloon in a normal air environment.

KSP provides some pretty good tools for modeling atmospheres.  If one knows how real atmospheres behave and understands how to use the available tools, very lifelike atmospheres can be produced.  The atmospheres in GPP are about as lifelike as they can be made.

51 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Trying to turn GPP into a system with a hot Jupiter would totally disrupt everything we've done for the last few months.  Atmospheres, environments, and even textures have been customized to fit the system as it now exists.  If we want a system with a hot Jupiter, the better option is to start from scratch and design an entirely new system with that specifically in mind.  I've actually considered doing that myself, but if I do, it's still a far way off.

1 hour ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Tyler

Not one for advertising my own stuff, but I've made a planet pack called 'Planet Cyran' that adds something between a brown dwarf and hot jupiter planet. The planet actually emits heat. Is that what you're looking for?

Is it correct that ships near Thalia get overheated very easily when not doing anything (no engines on, nothing) or is this a bug?  I recognize that it could make sense to get a lot of heating from being in close to Ciro, but what I'm seeing is that a probe in orbit around Thalia is fine when in orbit high over the planet, but as soon as I try to get in close to the surface, everything on the vessel starts heating up like mad as if Thalia was emitting heat (it's not atmospheric heat - Thalia has no atmosphere).  Is this correct behavior for GPP or is something wrong?

If it's correct I'll try compensating with radiator panels.  If it's not correct consider this a bug report.