[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

The scenery in this mod is ALMOST enough to make me buy a better computer. Sadly, I can't afford one at the moment, not at the level I would need to do this planet pack justice. Maybe a university server...

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

I still dont know what you are talking about. Im not getting this issue. I just tried with the alternate cfg on version 1.1 and have zero issues.

Well is there a way to edit the config to change the ambient lighting on Thalia's surface then?

UPDATE

Changelog:
v1.2.0

Moar compatibility edition

• Support for Scatterer v0.0300 and renamed bundled SVE to GPPVE to cure chronic Stock Visual Confusion.

• Removed Medium SVE/GPPVE option to save on download size. The difference between Medium and High was minimal in-game.
  • Reduced the following into MM patches, simplifying things overall and saving more on download size:

• Distant Object Enhancement; Strategia; Planetshine; Waypoint Manager; Sunflare toggle for whether Scatterer is present or not.
  • Enabled MechJeb to acknowledge KSC default location.

• KSPedia implementation - With information on all major bodies!

• Catered for new 'big' sticker in Decal Stickers mod.

• Far-reaching body updates:

• Simplified biome distributions on the noisier of biome maps.

• Optimized color textures to lose excess file size but keep all quality.

• Adjusted Scaled Space to PQS render height for much smoother transitions.

• Visual updates to Niven!

• Merged Gael and Tellumo cloud layers to consolidate textures.

• Implemented EVE eclipses. ALL bodies receive eclipses, with and without Scatterer.

• Optimized Nero color and biomes to match ring tilt.

• Added slight tilt to Otho and Gauss.

• Raised Lili's SOI to 40km to un-break Lili Orbital Survey contracts.

• Optimized terrain elevations so KER and the like can honestly tell where sea level is.

• Added anomalies to all bodies, and more PQSMod tweaks to some worlds. This includes fixes for terrain jitter and performance drain, especially at Tellumo.

• Improved texture details even more on some worlds.

• Changed Flight Globals to enable certain provisions and prevent a related issue.

• Added "Career Saver" as the Flight Globals change will cause other issues (specifically: break existing game saves).

• Strategia updates.

• Updated deltaV map.

• Full Kerbalism support.

• Gael updates:

• Lowered KSC island height and made shoreline friendly to enter/exit the ocean. Updated KSC++ and island biomes accordingly.

• Changed Initial Rotation to put sunrise at 01:30 UTC.

• Tuned Semi-major Axis so years are exactly 426.0 days long.

• Renamed the Kerbin World-Firsts Society to Gaelean Historians Collective.

• Minor adjustments to terrain and biome maps.

• Updated Texture Replacer.

• Custom loading screen!

• Other new bells and whistles. Some very small... Some very big.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Jimbo Jangles said:

Just for clarification, which version of KSP is this for? What dependencies do I need to dl beyond the most recent Kopernicus? Absolutely loving your creation for a few weeks now, totally stoked about the new update!

This is for KSP 1.2.2, but as long as Kopernicus works, GPP will work.

If you use any resource intensive mods then you must install Community Resource Pack. The dependencies haven't changed at all, really.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

Just for clarification, which version of KSP is this for? What dependencies do I need to dl beyond the most recent Kopernicus? Absolutely loving your creation for a few weeks now, totally stoked about the new update!

its for 1.2.2

the latest kopernicus is all you need, optional, yet recommended mods that are supported, are in the readme.

Edited by Galileo

12 hours ago, OhioBob said:

In the application that I was referring to, the 10.6257 factor would apply to resize.  It would give Gael the same gravitational parameter (and mass) as Earth.  Personally, I always like to use the same number for both resize and rescale and apply it globally.  That way everything (both sizes and distances) remains in its original proportions.

Gael has a 31.5 hour rotation period?  That shouldn't be.  At the 10x scale, it should have a rotation period of 18 hours.  And I don't agree that resizing Gael to Earth size will give it a 24 hour period.  Gael is not Earth, so there's no reason it's going to rotate at the same rate.  When I resize/rescale, I like to change the rotational period by about the square root of the resize/rescale factors.  This makes periods, travel times, etc. about the same in both the original and resized/rescaled system when measured in days.  For instance, in a 10X system we have, SQRT(10) = 3.162.  Therefore, Gael's rotation period should be 6 * 3.162=18.972 hours.  (I probably should have rounded off and made Gael's period 19 hours, but for other reasons I made it 18 hours).  By scaling in this way, Gaels' year will remain the same number of days, Iota's orbital period will remain the same number of days, and it will take the same number of days to travel between Gael and Iota.

Changing the length of days shouldn't have any affect on tidally locked bodies, at least not in KSP.  In real life the situation is far more complex.  For instance, Earth's current 24-hour period and Moon's current distance and orbital period are linked together because they are the result of the same tidal forces.

I adjusted the scale to 10.6257X and it sets the equatorial radius to 6,375km (Earth is 6400) but the rotation period is 17hrs, 57min, 40 sec, the same as 10X. Rotational speed @KSC is 612.5 m/s in 10.6257X vs. 576 m/s in 10X (Earth is 463.89m/s @ equator). So what would I need to adjust in the 10X cfg? The dayLengthMultiplier?

1 hour ago, doudou said:

This feature is enabled in GPP ?

- EVE cloud integration, scattering is now applied to clouds and they change colors at sunset 

No, because it breaks the gas giants cloud textures and any body that has clouds that are any color other than white.  We will have to wait patiently until blackrack returns to modding. He is aware of the issue. 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

I adjusted the scale to 10.6257X and it sets the equatorial radius to 6,375km (Earth is 6400) but the rotation period is 17hrs, 57min, 40 sec, the same as 10X. Rotational speed @KSC is 612.5 m/s in 10.6257X vs. 576 m/s in 10X (Earth is 463.89m/s @ equator). So what would I need to adjust in the 10X cfg? The dayLengthMultiplier?

I was thinking about this same thing, making Gael and Iota an Earth/Moon clone while leaving everything else at something like 10.5x.   I did calculate 10.6183 for the Resize and 10.74472 for the Rescale for Gael, haven't done the others yet, or tested them.   With all the issues I was having with 10x, I was thinking about starting over with 1.2 and playing on 6.4x.  

Hi, when I play on 3.2x scale, there is not a cloud in sight at the KSC, and although the stock (or stock + eve or whatever it is) KSC buildings are fine, the extra buildings that were added at 1x galileo (the floodlights for example, and all those warehouse areas) tried to scale up to 3.2x, so they don't line up with the still-1x normal VAB buildings etc.

I tried various numbers for EVE:clouds parameter in he config, and various numbers for building scaling, no luck, no matter what I put in I can't affect either of those outcomes. Tried lower cloud numbers, higher all the way up to 1, nothin. Buildings ignored the other parameter.

Note that the clouds looked perfect at 1x, so nothing wrong with the underlying cloud mod, so did the buildings.

Yes I used the visual enchancements that came bundled with GPP

Edited by Crimeo

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

UPDATE

Changelog:
v1.2.0

Moar compatibility edition

• Support for Scatterer v0.0300 and renamed bundled SVE to GPPVE to cure chronic Stock Visual Confusion.

• Removed Medium SVE/GPPVE option to save on download size. The difference between Medium and High was minimal in-game.
  • Reduced the following into MM patches, simplifying things overall and saving more on download size:

• Distant Object Enhancement; Strategia; Planetshine; Waypoint Manager; Sunflare toggle for whether Scatterer is present or not.
  • Enabled MechJeb to acknowledge KSC default location.

• KSPedia implementation - With information on all major bodies!

• Catered for new 'big' sticker in Decal Stickers mod.

• Far-reaching body updates:

• Simplified biome distributions on the noisier of biome maps.

• Optimized color textures to lose excess file size but keep all quality.

• Adjusted Scaled Space to PQS render height for much smoother transitions.

• Visual updates to Niven!

• Merged Gael and Tellumo cloud layers to consolidate textures.

• Implemented EVE eclipses. ALL bodies receive eclipses, with and without Scatterer.

• Optimized Nero color and biomes to match ring tilt.

• Added slight tilt to Otho and Gauss.

• Raised Lili's SOI to 40km to un-break Lili Orbital Survey contracts.

• Optimized terrain elevations so KER and the like can honestly tell where sea level is.

• Added anomalies to all bodies, and more PQSMod tweaks to some worlds. This includes fixes for terrain jitter and performance drain, especially at Tellumo.

• Improved texture details even more on some worlds.

• Changed Flight Globals to enable certain provisions and prevent a related issue.

• Added "Career Saver" as the Flight Globals change will cause other issues (specifically: break existing game saves).

• Strategia updates.

• Updated deltaV map.

• Full Kerbalism support.

• Gael updates:

• Lowered KSC island height and made shoreline friendly to enter/exit the ocean. Updated KSC++ and island biomes accordingly.

• Changed Initial Rotation to put sunrise at 01:30 UTC.

• Tuned Semi-major Axis so years are exactly 426.0 days long.

• Renamed the Kerbin World-Firsts Society to Gaelean Historians Collective.

• Minor adjustments to terrain and biome maps.

• Updated Texture Replacer.

• Custom loading screen!

• Other new bells and whistles. Some very small... Some very big.

DOWNLOAD

How would you recommend updating/using Scatterer v0.300 in GPP?  I think the bundle is using an older version.

I just don't want to go pasting and overwriting any files without your guidance because I'm worried about screwing up the config files.

9 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

That's an excellent point, I didn't think about the rotational velocity.  If you're trying to make Gael earthlike in all respects, then yes, the rotational period should be adjusted.  I think the best and easiest thing to do is to give Gael a 24-hour day.  To do that you just make Gael's (listed as Kerbin in the cfg) dayLengthMultiplier = 4.  This would make Gael's sea level equatorial velocity 464.97 m/s, compared to 465.10 m/s for Earth.**  You should also change Icarus' and Gratian's dayLengthMultiplier = 3.25970857593129 (i.e. SQRT(10.6257)) in order to preserve their resonances.

** You could try to make these numbers identical, but it seems like folly to me.  Gael is spherical while Earth is an oblate spheroid.  Therefore, no matter what you do, you won't be able to get the velocities to exactly match except for at one latitude.  I think the familiarity of a 24-hour day is worth more than an error of a tenth or two in m/s.

By the way, Earth's equatorial radius is 6378.14 km, and it's volumetric radius is 6371 km.  6375 km is calculated from using its gravitational parameter, 3.986005E+14 m3/s2, and a surface gravity of one standard gravity, go = 9.80665 m/s2.  That is,

Radius = SQRT(3.986005E+14 / 9.80665) = 6,375,417 m

Divide that by Gael's stock-sized radius and we get,

Resize factor = 6375417 / 600000 = 10.6257 

23 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

If it's resized to be the same as Earth, shouldn't it be 24 hours?

Norcalplanner, I guess it does make sense to use a 24 hours day, at least if your intention is to exactly mimic earth.  I really didn't think about the rotational velocity of the launch site.

It actually makes a lot more sense for stock-sized Kerbin/Gael to have a rotational period of 8 hours.  That's a much better match to Earth's 24-hour period when resizing/rescaling.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, PistonMiner said:

This may already be known, but the included PDF does not reflect Lili's SOI change.

Drat!  With all the changes being made it was hard keeping the documentation up to date.  Looks like I missed at least one.  I've made the correction, but we're not going to make a GPP update just for that.

Edited by OhioBob

2 hours ago, Tuko said:

How would you recommend updating/using Scatterer v0.300 in GPP?  I think the bundle is using an older version.

I just don't want to go pasting and overwriting any files without your guidance because I'm worried about screwing up the config files.

GPP bundles 0.0300 (latest version)

remove the scatterer file from previous installs and add the version in our download.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Crimeo said:

Hi, when I play on 3.2x scale, there is not a cloud in sight at the KSC, and although the stock (or stock + eve or whatever it is) KSC buildings are fine, the extra buildings that were added at 1x galileo (the floodlights for example, and all those warehouse areas) tried to scale up to 3.2x, so they don't line up with the still-1x normal VAB buildings etc.

I tried various numbers for EVE:clouds parameter in he config, and various numbers for building scaling, no luck, no matter what I put in I can't affect either of those outcomes. Tried lower cloud numbers, higher all the way up to 1, nothin. Buildings ignored the other parameter.

Note that the clouds looked perfect at 1x, so nothing wrong with the underlying cloud mod, so did the buildings.

Yes I used the visual enchancements that came bundled with GPP

Logs and a screenshot of your gamedata would be helpful bud

@Galileo What do you mean by:

12 hours ago, Galileo said:

and

11 hours ago, Galileo said:

PRETTY BROKEN. But, thats what the career saver cfg is for.

(with respect to what is career saver for?)

Sorry if I'm being particularly stupid!

39 minutes ago, theMinorMenace said:

@Galileo What do you mean by:

and

(with respect to what is career saver for?)

Sorry if I'm being particularly stupid!

If have already invested a lot of time in the previous version of ksp, and want to continue it without breaking it, You must use the career saver patch. If you are planning on starting a new career, disregard the career saver.

The FlightGlobalsIndex changed this update and that causes a lot of problems for preexisting careers.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

That's an excellent point, I didn't think about the rotational velocity.  If you're trying to make Gael earthlike in all respects, then yes, the rotational period should be adjusted.  I think the best and easiest thing to do is to give Gael a 24-hour day.  To do that you just make Gael's (listed as Kerbin in the cfg) dayLengthMultiplier = 4.  This would make Gael's sea level equatorial velocity 464.97 m/s, compared to 465.10 m/s for Earth.**  You should also change Icarus' and Gratian's dayLengthMultiplier = 3.25970857593129 (i.e. SQRT(10.6257)) in order to preserve their resonances.

** You could try to make these numbers identical, but it seems like folly to me.  Gael is spherical while Earth is an oblate spheroid.  Therefore, no matter what you do, you won't be able to get the velocities to exactly match except for at one latitude.  I think the familiarity of a 24-hour day is worth more than an error of a tenth or two in m/s.

By the way, Earth's equatorial radius is 6378.14 km, and it's volumetric radius is 6371 km.  6375 km is calculated from using its gravitational parameter, 3.986005E+14 m3/s2, and a surface gravity of one standard gravity, go = 9.80665 m/s2.  That is,

Radius = SQRT(3.986005E+14 / 9.80665) = 6,375,417 m

Divide that by Gael's stock-sized radius and we get,

Resize factor = 6375417 / 600000 = 10.6257 

Norcalplanner, I guess it does make sense to use a 24 hours day, at least if your intention is to exactly mimic earth.  I really didn't think about the rotational velocity of the launch site.

It actually makes a lot more sense for stock-sized Kerbin/Gael to have a rotational period of 8 hours.  That's a much better match to Earth's 24-hour period when resizing/rescaling.

Bob,

I guess I didn't explain myself very well, since the rotational velocity was one of my big concerns. Right now the included 10x config specifies a day length only 1.75x as long as standard, which is going to make landing on most airless worlds easier. On the other hand, landing on Lili will be even more difficult. I think I'll tweak the settings a bit and see how things actually affect both realism and gameplay.