[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am going to try and prune them down - I am sick and tired of KSP using more than 6 GB of ram. Also, does upscaling the system increase RAM requirements?

Nope it doesn't. 

Just remember, in KSP, if you are killing your CPU, it doesn't matter what the rest of your rig looks like. You could have 200gb of ram, the latest and greatest GPU, the fastest SSD available, and the game would still lag considerably. 

It sounds like your part packs are your biggest performance hog.

10 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The CPU usage is showing as about 40%, with the memory at 95%. I think memory is the first problem, CPU is second. 

Well, yes, because of GPP and all of its textures + Scatterer and the textures for EVE. GPP by itself with only the visual mods installed will use about 6gb of ram (roughly). Your part mods likely take up the rest of your ram, which is not much next to GPP. More ram will help, but I think pruning your part list will work wonders for you.

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I don't have scatterer installed lol. 

I was using it as an example 

out of your 8 gm of ram, GPP is definitely using the most of it

Edited by Galileo

7 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I meant that I am getting 6+ GB without most of the visual mods. Is there a way to de-res textures for some bodies? There are a few which I basically never go to. 

I could make a 2k version. That wouldn't be too hard

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Intel Quad-Core Q9400. I think my problem might be hard disk data transfer - windows flags that as being pretty bad. 

Definitely upgrade that CPU when funds allow. I jumped from an OC C2Q9550 to an OC i6600k last year, and it made a huge difference.

I have a PC with 8GB RAM and GPP alone causes all that RAM to be nearly filled up. :P Forget about parts and the visual mods. But the first thing anyone should look up upgrade (after RAM) is CPU. KSP sucks at multithreading so the more power an individual CPU core has means a lot more than how many cores you have. An SSD would help you with scenario switching and startup time but not with physics and phys lag.

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

I could make a 2k version. That wouldn't be too hard

A lot of prayers shall be answered this night. Lol.

Hi All, 

After a break from KSP for a few months, i returned to pick up my 1.2.2 save with GPP and all mods that basically Scott Manley uses in his most recent kerbal series. i found that a lot of mods had updated including GPP so i downloaded all mods to update and when i loaded a new game i had a 0 FPS rate with weird graphical glitches at the KSC so i reinstalled KSP fresh and re did the download using all the previous versions saved on my PC (FYI my log said something about an error and literately all it had was FFFFFFFFFFF#). To update GPP, do i simply follow the install method listed on page one again? the hot fix file on page 1 and should i download the hot fix file one page 1?

i have also read somewhere that there could be an issue with research bodies and GPP, something to do with either contracts configuration mod or custom barn kit, does GPP rely on one of these two mods and if yes, must they be updated to the newer version.  Sorry for all the questions, i just want to know how i can possibly void my FPS of death issue when i get home from work and reattempt at updating GPP :)

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have a PC with 8GB RAM and GPP alone causes all that RAM to be nearly filled up. :P Forget about parts and the visual mods. But the first thing anyone should look up upgrade (after RAM) is CPU. KSP sucks at multithreading so the more power an individual CPU core has means a lot more than how many cores you have. An SSD would help you with scenario switching and startup time but not with physics and phys lag.

A lot of prayers shall be answered this night. Lol.

It's at times like this (when I'm playing on my laptop not my super computer) that I miss the good old days with Active Texture Management, a (nearly) identical mod load out from pre 1.x would run ok on my laptop but will use up all of the available ram and crash out in 1.2

14 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

It's at times like this (when I'm playing on my laptop not my super computer) that I miss the good old days with Active Texture Management, a (nearly) identical mod load out from pre 1.x would run ok on my laptop but will use up all of the available ram and crash out in 1.2

All active texture management did was convert .png's to .dds's and the main reason this was important was because Squad was using .png's up until 1.0 (most mods were already using .dds's at the time). ATM hasn't been updated or necessary since 1.0 sooooo :huh:

42 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

I must be doing something strange then, because I use GPP with a ton of mods (including all the visual ones) and windows task manager says I'm never using more than about 4.5 GB. Where are people looking to see how much memory is being used? Or does a lot of the game reside on my 4 GB video card, and that number isn't included when windows is reporting memory use?

29 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

All active texture management did was convert .png's to .dds's and the main reason this was important was because Squad was using .png's up until 1.0 (most mods were already using .dds's at the time). ATM hasn't been updated or necessary since 1.0 sooooo :huh:

I'm pretty sure the aggressive version also down-scaled most of the texture files as well, doesn't change the fact that with nearly identical mod setups I will crash out with full RAM in post 1.0 but pre 1.0 with ATM it loaded and ran fine (fine here being relative lol)

@Norcalplanner, this actually wasn't with GPP, I'm not really sure how KSP manages VRAM currently. In the past if you forced OpenGL or DX11 it was supposed to reduce your system RAM usage because they would properly fill up the VRAM first and then start using system RAM while DX9 wasn't doing this properly, at least that was my understanding from reading other people talking about it, I don't actually know if that is accurate or not. I do know that in old pre 1.0 versions using OpenGL did reduce my RAM usage on my laptop even though it doesn't have a discrete GPU so no VRAM sooooo....?

Edited by Akira_R

"In a stunning turn of events, an unprecedented space-time anomaly in the Niven system has returned our intrepid explorers to Gael 16 months ahead of schedule!

After successfully landing the Niven Lithobraker in the equatorial midlands, Jebediah, Bill and Bob Kerman planted a new-model non-explosive Flexible Laminated Announcement of Gael (FLAG) before taking various scientific readings, aimlessly wandering around for a few minutes and then settling in to wait for the NIPPER rendezvous launch window. Conditions on Niven were too warm for extended EVAs, with temperatures soaring above 373 degrees Kerbal, the boiling point of all water-based snacks. Anomalies first presented themselves upon re-attaining low Niven orbit. On approach to the NIPPER, time itself seemed to discretize at larger and larger values. The crew reports that they appeared to instantaneously teleport several meters at a time with no memory of the intervening motion, in addition to a significant delay in spacecraft control action despite a direct, zero-latency electrical connection to the onboard reaction wheels. After docking with NIPPER, these conditions became substantially worse, threatening the success of Gael's first crewed interplanetary mission. Suddenly, time seemed to stop completely for several subjective seconds - the crew reports being frozen in place. Then, they spent about 3 hours incoherently rambling about "Krakens" and something called "Alt-F12" before regaining sanity in a perfect 250km orbit of Gael. Not willing to push their luck, the crew deorbited NIPPER, (mentioning something about consigning the Krakens to hellfire) while struggling through continuted time discretization into the return capsule. The space-time anomaly appeared to be localized to NIPPER - after reaching a distance of 2.2 km everything seemed to return to normal. Theoretical physicists hypothesize that an unforeseen interaction between the nuclear reactor, ion engines, and the tendency of Maxtech Aerospace engineers to have at least 250 separate pieces on everything meant to operate in vacuum lead to a tear in the fabric of reality. Further investigation will be conducted once we get testing facilities somewhere outside the apoapsis of Grannus - anything closer to Gael is considered an existential threat. 

Until this is settled, no vessels of larger than 50 components are permitted to leave Gael's atmosphere. The CEO (Chief Explosions Officer) of Maxtech Aerospace has protested on deaf ears - Kerbalkind simply can NOT risk playing with reality in this manner."

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Good. I need you to try this and report on ram usage please

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjqjnukzni04qh2/GPP_Settings.zip?dl=0

I am not home at the moment - I will try it later tonight and report back. Thanks!

Edited by MaxL_1023

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am not home at the moment - I will try it later tonight and report back. Thanks!

Ok cool. Since you don't play with scatterer, the cfg included should reduce your ram considerably (2 gb for me)

basically, GPP uses a bit of code, useOnDemand = false , but its only utilized so scatterer can work correctly with Kopernicus. What it does, is loads ALL of the textures for each body during the initial load of KSP, which uses more ram because, well, they are all loaded!

What the cfg I gave you does is change the useOnDemand to True which will only load the textures when you need them, saving a lot of ram. Seeing as you don't use scatterer, this will probably be a big help to you.