[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Would it be possible to over-ride the luminosity check within a certain SOI, multiplying or dividing it by a certain value?

Basically, if everything always assumes you are around the primary star when you are around "any" star, could you add in code to check which SOI you are in, and if it is another star you correct the solar flux values wherever they appear? Since there will never be that many stars in one pack (realistically), it shouldn't be that big of a list. 

Kopernicus author is working on fixing the multiple stars panel issue (see here). The multi star hack in Kopernicus already work for thermal simulation stuff, so the issue must be related to ModuleDeployableSolarPanel internals. I'm confident this will be fixed in a way or another. In the worst case, that module can be replaced with a custom one that is directly aware of multiple stars.

14 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Kopernicus author is working on fixing the multiple stars panel issue (see here). The multi star hack in Kopernicus already work for thermal simulation stuff, so the issue must be related to ModuleDeployableSolarPanel internals. I'm confident this will be fixed in a way or another. In the worst case, that module can be replaced with a custom one that is directly aware of multiple stars.

That's great news

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You've mentioned this before and I wholly agree with it. :( I also agree KSP itself may be a problem, but then there's @OhioBob's discovery that if some dividing factor was applied it would make all stars output the correct amount of solar flux but solar panels would show a tiny number for Ec output in their part description. I think something could be coded between the effective luminosity of a star and the perceived Ec output of a solar panel.

If @OhioBob fix would make all solar panels output the correct amount of EC but display a too small number in the vab (assuming that the difference in display and correct was constant), it would be a simple matter to write a small DLL to override the GetInfo() call and display the true number. I already have a great setup for injecting code into stock modules so I'd be happy to write it for ya'll.

@Galileo @JadeOfMaar @OhioBob PM me if interested

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

On 20.5.2017 at 2:37 AM, MaxL_1023 said:

My lag generator asteroid tug has 127 km/s in LGO - why do these complicated gravity assists when you can just torch ship it to Grannus with 50 km/s, refuel using a Grannus-orbiting asteroid then return?

Maxtech Aerospace has a fetish for insane torch-ship designs - our crew want to be home for supper no matter where they eat lunch!

I only play with the stock parts (My PC is too weak for even more mods). I unfortunately had no other option than to try so. Also, I found it interesting to figure out the maneuvers. I have not did the math but I do not believe that it is possible to come to Grannus and burn an orbit with ISRU. But your Lag Generator sounds very interesting - is there a picture somewhere?

@ all

The Hox Mission has returned to Gael - here is the link:

Hox Return

I4DO13h.jpg

Edited by astroheiko

2 hours ago, astroheiko said:

I have not did the math but I do not believe that it is possible to come to Grannus and burn an orbit with ISRU. -snip- is there a picture somewhere?

From the secret files. Grannus before its public release. All the dV you spent returning to Gael after your Grannus flyby could've been invested into a capture, I think, then it should not be too hard to enter its asteroid field and peel some potatoes refuel. Be sure to bring a claw so you can hold onto them.

4uhlOZD.jpg

z6EXuqT.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@OhioBob, in my perusal of the ksp API, I found that ModuleDeployableSolarPanel has a never-used Double called resMultForGetInfo. There was no documentation on it but I found that adding it to a solar panel meant (as I suspected) that the value shown in the VAB would be x times higher than the actual chargeRate. Therefore, all you need to do is add that line to your MM patch, no DLL needed. Also tagging @JadeOfMaar and @Galileo.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]:FOR[GPP]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
	{
		@chargeRate *= 0.0308823529411765
		%resMultForGetInfo = 32.3809524
	}
}

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Solar panels should be a little less efficient at Grannus compared to their ratings due to the different light spectrum - is this possible to implement?

We could, but it might confuse people who don't know that.  We'll discuss it and decide.

Edited by OhioBob

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Solar panels should be a little less efficient at Grannus compared to their ratings due to the different light spectrum - is this possible to implement?

This is already the case. With the current situation the charge rate (however insanely high) is proportional to the charge rate around Grannus. All that @OhioBob has remaining now is to have Ciro output normal amounts of flux and have Grannus put out proportionally less.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

This is already the case. With the current situation the charge rate (however insanely high) is proportional to the charge rate around Grannus. All that @OhioBob has remaining now is to have Ciro output normal amounts of flux and have Grannus put out proportionally less.

I think MaxL_1023 is saying that the solar panel power output should be even less than luminosities imply because Grannus radiates much of it light in a part of the spectrum where solar panels do not work efficiently.  So while Grannus has 3% of Ciro's luminosity, solar panels might produce only 1-2% (or whatever the right number is).

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Now that I've had some time to think about it, no, we can't do that.  The chargeRate factor applies to all solar panels everywhere.  We can't lower the chargeRate at Grannus below the ratio of its luminosity to Ciro's luminosity.  The only way to decrease the chargeRate at Grannus is to artificially lower its luminosity.  And if we lower the luminosity, we lower heating rates below where they should be.  So there's no way to have both a reduced chargeRate and correct heating rates at the same time.  Best just to keep the luminosities where they are.

Edited by OhioBob

12 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have no likes left to give. :( 

10 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

I too have no likes left

I wish this "like" system was a revolving door. If you receive X amount of likes per day, You should be able to add that to your daily ration of likes and pay it forward

Edited by Galileo