[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 05/06/2017 at 10:06 PM, Luovahulluus said:

Here is my version of the Foreign Eagle...(Sorry eddiew, no JJ Abrams on this version :wink:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldx72j49fi36pfr/ExtragalacticEagle.rar?dl=0

Looks like you did a really good clean up job there :)

One thing that does strike me though is that the pillars are dark clouds of thick dust, and obviously quite close to our home system so tbh I would expect quite a lot of the stars to be blocked out... Maybe some bright ones would shine through, but the smaller paler ones would probably vanish, imo.

Edited by eddiew

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Looks like you did a really good clean up job there :)

One thing that does strike me though is that the pillars are dark clouds of thick dust, and obviously quite close to our home system so tbh I would expect quite a lot of the stars to be blocked out... Maybe some bright ones would shine through, but the smaller paler ones would probably vanish, imo.

That's what I tried to explain. My pillars are, compared to the real ones, about 20 times bigger and further away, outside the galactic rim.

Maybe I'll do another version where the pillars are about the real size and very close to the viewer. Even then, the red stars can't be quite as big as they are now.

1 hour ago, Luovahulluus said:

That's what I tried to explain. My pillars are, compared to the real ones, about 20 times bigger and further away, outside the galactic rim.

Maybe I'll do another version where the pillars are about the real size and very close to the viewer. Even then, the red stars can't be quite as big as they are now.

Oh I quite agree on taking out the larger stars, particularly because they're rather rough in the photo(s). One reason I smothered them in lens flares was to get rid of the pixellation and give it more the look of being in a dense star cluster :) 

Although I'm not sure there's a scale at which they can be beyond all the stars and *not* a galaxy unto themselves. Andromeda I think is a few times wider than the full moon, if you have a sensitive enough camera, so to dominate the entire sky at inter-galactic ranges... it's not a nebula any more, and there's issues about light sourcing :D 

But who am I to suggest how you want your skybox to look? :)  Of course you should make it appear the way you want it to. If anyone else prefers it different, they should compile it themselves.

Hi - Since I have downloaded the latest version of this amazing pack; and installed on KSP1.2.2.  I have discovered a feature that I am sure was not happening before. Its not gamebreaking or anything but asthetically a bit strange.  When I splash down in the sea, my capsule does not float and bob around as I am sure it did previously.  It now is just static and as the waves move, the craft disappears and then hovers above the sea and effectively just does not move with the sea?

I am sure I didn't notice this before, so just wondering what could be the cause of this?

Thanks

:)

Edited by Pinchy

4 hours ago, Pinchy said:

Hi - Since I have downloaded the latest version of this amazing pack; and installed on KSP1.2.2.  I have discovered a feature that I am sure was not happening before. Its not gamebreaking or anything but asthetically a bit strange.  When I splash down in the sea, my capsule does not float and bob around as I am sure it did previously.  It now is just static and as the waves move, the craft disappears and then hovers above the sea and effectively just does not move with the sea?

I am sure I didn't notice this before, so just wondering what could be the cause of this?

I've noticed that too, but I couldn't remember what it use to do.  I couldn't tell if it was something new, or something old that I just never noticed before.  I agree that it looks very unnatural.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:50 PM, eddiew said:

Although I'm not sure there's a scale at which they can be beyond all the stars and *not* a galaxy unto themselves. Andromeda I think is a few times wider than the full moon, if you have a sensitive enough camera, so to dominate the entire sky at inter-galactic ranges... it's not a nebula any more, and there's issues about light sourcing :D 

My vision was, the nebula is right next to our galaxy, on a collision course.

According to Wikipedia, the largest known nebula is the NGC 262 Halo Cloud, 1.3 million light years across. There are plenty of stars in the real pillars themselves, as is evident from this infrared picture: http://hubblesite.org/image/3475/news. I'm sure those contribute some light to the dust and gasses the nebula is made of. But you probably are right, it should't look as bright as it does in my version. I'd imagine it would't look as bright as it does now, even if it was in real scale and only one light year away. Let's just call it artistic license :)

I'd like to make a skybox where the solar system was not too close to the galactic center plane, maybe 20ly above a spiral arm. But I haven't figured out yet how to make the perspective correct for an image like that.

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

Well @Luovahulluus, basically you'd have to rely on computer renders for that one because we won't have any photos outside the plane for several centuries :D 

The best I've come up with so far would be to create a sphere in a 3D software and put some stars on the inside surface. Then create a plane with a galaxy texture and the central bulge shape, place it inside the sphere just below the centerpoint and then render the 6 projections from that. Sounds like a lot of work…

Edit: Now that I try to visualize it in my head, I don't think the projections could be rendered like that. I'd need a cube instead of the sphere and then project the galaxy plane on the sides of the cube. Then extract the 6 sides from the scene. Does anybody know which software could do that?

Edited by Luovahulluus

Someone very wise said that not all SSTOs are spaceplanes. Well.... Here's a nice example. Nothing's coming down to help this thing get back to orbit. The fine patrons of Umbra Space Industries can recognize the goods that make this craft possible. (It might barely be able to SSTO from Kerbin/Gael though... so it mightn't count)

(In KSP 1.2.2)

q4kN8iY.jpg

Spoiler: That big parachute turned out to be completely useless.

rTlGg12.jpg

And I found this trench in the Nivenean Trench...... Ha ha, guys, Ha ha. (@ other GPP devs)

wHLrVKr.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

will this work on ksp 1.3

Not yet.  The new version of Kopernicus totally changed how everything works, so they need to make a lot of updates to this planet pack before it will be operational in 1.3

6 hours ago, AR3S_TGL said:

Is Muse named after the band?

No, In Greek mythology, there were nine muses, all inspirational goddesses of literature, science and art. Instead of choosing just one, I named it Muse to represent all of them. Muse, being one of the more interesting bodies in GPP, can certainly inspire literature, science and art 

But it can be the band if you want it to be the band. :) 

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

No, In Greek mythology, there were nine muses, all inspirational goddesses of literature, science and art. Instead of choosing just one, I named it Muse to represent all of them. Muse, being one of the more interesting bodies in GPP, can certainly inspire literature, science and art 

But it can be the band if you want it to be the band. :) 

Are you a listener?

I have all of their albums in the car...

4 minutes ago, AR3S_TGL said:

Are you a listener?

I have all of their albums in the car...

What's crazy is I had tickets for tonight's show in Austin, Tx, but had to sell them because of conflicting scheduled events. Sucks, because I really wanted to hear knights of cydonia live. 

I do graphic work for the event centers around Austin, so I get free tickets to most shows that come to town

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

What's crazy is I had tickets for tonight's show in Austin, Tx, but had to sell them because of conflicting scheduled events. Sucks, because I really wanted to hear knights of cydonia live. 

I do graphic work for the event centers around Austin, so I get free tickets to most shows that come to town

Ah. That's a shame. As Knights of Cydonia is such a cool song.

On 6/3/2017 at 5:47 PM, Galileo said:

60 = 1 

61 = 2

62 = 3 

etc...

Gael is Kerbin

Just another quick note of thanks for this. Whatever was stopping my game from loading seems to have un-derped itself *knocks furiously on every bit of wood, faux-wood, and particle board in sight*, so tweaking the numbers in the safe file did, actually, work. :D

16 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

im testing this now for my 64k overhaul seeing if there are any diversions @Galileo do you know if there are any differences between the 6.4 scale of this and the KScale64?

Our cfgs are more accurate than KScale64 and account for the changes of ALOT more things than just sizes. That mod doesn't change anything except for the sizes, which surprises me because it also uses sigma and doesn't take advantage what sigma is capable of. Yet, everyone swears by it.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Our cfgs are more accurate than KScale64 and account for the changes of ALOT more things than just sizes. That mod doesn't change anything except for the sizes, which surprises me because it also uses sigma and doesn't take advantage what sigma is capable of. Yet, everyone swears by it.

bigger or smaller? (r= 3840Km)

1 minute ago, kerbinorbiter said:

bigger or smaller? (r= 3840Km)

exact same. Gael is the exact same size as Kerbin

If you use Kscale64 clouds and sunflares don't scale. Day lengths will be off, dish ranges will be messed up, and antenna ranges will be wrong. 

Why would you want to use KScale64 again? :wink: 

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that your work and dedication in this project is amazing. Thank you so much !

I'm a junior programmer with experience with C++ and some free time on my hands. So, if you want to send some work my way, please don't hesitate, I'd be really happy to help out. My handle on github is fusionjv. 

Finally got a relay/scanner satellite into orbit around Tellumo. When I launched this I hadn't unlocked any heat shields in Engineering Tech Tree so I have my rover in a fairing. It definitely exploded, I should unlock some heat shields before attempting to send a Kerbal down to the surface!  :blush:

V9ZFT5H.jpg

Quick question: I've started playing around with some Thalia transfers using MechJeb's porkchop plotter (6.4x). I'm getting single-burn from LGO values around 4100m/s, which seems right, but playing with a node at the (projected) encounter, I'm getting like 7km/s plus just to capture.

Whaaaaaat?? 

Is that right for this scale? The transfer orbit does look a little less than ideal...