[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

31 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Standard GPP is 1/10th scale compared to real life, just like stock KSP.  But GPP comes with several configs that, when used with Sigma Dimensions, will scale the system up to larger dimensions.

2.5X - Intended to give the game a more lifelike feel to it in terms of rocket and spacecraft design, while using unmodified parts.

3.2X - Same as 2.5X but a little more difficult.

6.4X - Gives parts a lifelike scale in relation to the planets.  This difficulty level generally requires the use of SMURFF to modify parts closer to their real life mass ratios.

10X - Scales all celestial bodies up to real life dimensions.  Modifying parts to match real life mass ratios and performance is essential.

10.625X - Turns Gael into an Earth clone in terms of size and mass.

I know, I tend to use the 10x rescale. I was talking about the meme :) sorry if I wasn't clear.

20 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

I know, I tend to use the 10x rescale. I was talking about the meme :) sorry if I wasn't clear.

I think GPP at 10x or 10.6x would need to have an image of Lt. Reginald Barclay from TNG when he's in the holodeck and tied in to the Enterprise main computer.

https://goo.gl/images/AT6CJT

Okay, this is just a silly side observation, but... has anyone ever noticed this uncanny resemblance?  (sorry, beyond doing the obvious keyword search, which turned up nothing, I'm not gonna rummage through 150 pages of thread posts...)

(Putting it in a spoiler section, in case it's intended to be an easter egg.  Don't want to be a spoilsport.)

Spoiler

CGNjv3R.png

(Not visible in this screenshot, but the coastline just above and to the right in this view matches up pretty well, too.)

Now I find myself really wanting that island on Gael to be a biome of its own, named "Nawiat".  :)

Heck.  Now I feel compelled to explore Gael looking for other geographic easter eggs.

7 minutes ago, Snark said:

Okay, this is just a silly side observation, but... has anyone ever noticed this uncanny resemblance?  (sorry, beyond doing the obvious keyword search, which turned up nothing, I'm not gonna rummage through 150 pages of thread posts...)

(Putting it in a spoiler section, in case it's intended to be an easter egg.  Don't want to be a spoilsport.)

Reveal hidden contents

CGNjv3R.png

(Not visible in this screenshot, but the coastline just above and to the right in this view matches up pretty well, too.)

Now I find myself really wanting that island on Gael to be a biome of its own, named "Nawiat".  :)

Heck.  Now I feel compelled to explore Gael looking for other geographic easter eggs.

Ha! You and @OhioBob are the only ones who have found things like this! I have sprinkled a couple other real land masses in there, but none were intended to be Easter eggs. Good find! :)  

OhioBob found Madagascar lol

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ha! You and @OhioBob are the only ones who have found things like this! I have sprinkled a couple other real land masses in there, but non were intended to be Easter eggs. Good find! :) 

How do you actually do all this stuff? Like, for someone like me who has exactly zero knowledge of modeling stuff... how do you create all this terrain? I'm sure you're not in there point-and-clicking every single polygon of the coastline... right?

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

How do you actually do all this stuff? Like, for someone like me who has exactly zero knowledge of modeling stuff... how do you create all this terrain? I'm sure you're not in there point-and-clicking every single polygon of the coastline... right?

I've never looked into doing any planet modeling in KSP, but I'm guessing they're height maps.  And assuming that they are, there are plenty of public places on the Internet that have public height-map data from USGS and similar organizations.  So it would be a matter of having some simple tools to import the data, cut / paste / scale appropriately, etc.

Just a guess, though.  :)

40 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

it's actually really simple and I intend on making a tutorial page one day so everyone can use the same techniques I did. But just as @Snark said, I used a lot of tutorials that I found through Google and made changes to suit my needs. Before GPP, nearly all planet packs sported a stock-a-like style to their textures. RSS was the exception, but those textures weren't made from imagination and were readily available through multiple sources. I feel like I had to pioneer some new techniques to get the results i wanted in KSP, but really what I am doing here isn't any different than what you can find all over the internet. It just hadn't been done in KSP yet.

Some of my textures I actually didn't make myself, but I paid for them to speed up development, as I was at a point in my life where ksp was going to be cut out entirely. Fortunately, that didn't happen and the textures I bought are great.

Anyway, when it comes to the islands that have recently been found, many were necessary for one reason or another. On Gael, they were for the CommNet stations or anomalies. Other times it was because a particular place in the ocean looked too empty. So, instead of just drawing out a new island, I thought it would be cool to use real land masses from real maps. I honestly didn't think any one would ever notice, and for the most part I have been right :) 

If the demand for a tutorial is high enough, I can make that happen sooner than later. 

@Galileo @Snark I was on a stream at some point where, either the streamer or an audience member recognized Taiwan, and they're Taiwanese. So let it be known that Galileo rocked not only their socks but their whole sock drawer.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Once you know how to create terrain, it comes natural to find a way to alter bits of it to be exact to some whim you may have. Galileo had to do a little river carving into Gael, and he and I both reshaped KSC island. On the other hand some other planet makers can and will hand-draw the entire planet's terrain texture like White Guardian and Gameslinx.

I have another possible geographic easter egg. Two of Gael's lakes are identical in shape and orientation. I call them mice because they have a shape akin to rodents. Was Galileo lazy or did he he plan that? :wink: 

43 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Some of my textures I actually didn't make myself, but I paid for them

Out of curiosity, was Icarus one of them?  The quality and level of detail there is just stunning.  My immediate reaction on seeing it was "holy heck, that's the work of a seriously professional artist."  Could never produce something like that in a million years, myself (I've got no artistic talent).

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Out of curiosity, was Icarus one of them?  The quality and level of detail there is just stunning.  My immediate reaction on seeing it was "holy heck, that's the work of a seriously professional artist."  Could never produce something like that in a million years, myself (I've got no artistic talent).

Icarus was a combination of 3 different maps that I bought. The ridge that wraps itself around Icarus was from one map, the veins and some other formations were from another, all laid on top of a rather bland grey map. There was a lot of feathering and blending and blurring. Icarus is my first map I have ever put together and took me longer than any other map by 3 weeks at least. The rest of the maps were either bought or much easier to edit. Icarus is really the belle of the ball

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

If the demand for a tutorial is high enough, I can make that happen sooner than later. 

Content aware fill in Photoshop <3

(I'm guessing that's how you collage real world height maps. I've been experimenting with those, too but not on a massive scale like you)

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

Icarus was a combination of 3 different maps that I bought. The ridge that wraps itself around Icarus was from one map, the veins and some other formations were from another, all laid on top of a rather bland grey map. There was a lot of feathering and blending and blurring. Icarus is my first map I have ever put together and took me longer than any other map by 3 weeks at least. The rest of the maps were either bought or much easier to edit. Icarus is really the belle of the ball

One day I may get to see Icarus as more than a flyby...  Lasts nights attempt I got to within 2500M/S of a capture insertion....  Oh well only another 60ish days to wait until my next window...  The large sun is a joy to see and the dark side was hmmmmm dark :)

So,

I was messing around with this mod and i did a scenario(I just felt you forgot about that or something like that).

The game crashed.

So i just wanna ask: Would you mind doing something with the scenarios?

48 minutes ago, GenesisPlayz said:

So,

I was messing around with this mod and i did a scenario(I just felt you forgot about that or something like that).

The game crashed.

What do you mean?

If you are talking about tutorial scenarios, then no. There is nothing I can do. GPP is not intended for newer players. By the time someone stumbles upon GPP, they should probably have an idea of what they are doing. 

If this isn't what you are referring to, then you will have to explain more, because a "scenario" is not a common term thrown around in KSP

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, GenesisPlayz said:

So,

The game crashed.

After reading about the scenarios, the answer is still no. Those are built into the game and I can't change them.

Well, just finished my first GPP career.  Holy mackerel, that was fun.  :)

One bit of feedback, @Galileo:  Perhaps buff the rewards (science value, experience gain) for Grannus by a lot?  Right now a trip to Grannus is a lot less lucrative than a landing on, say, Niven.

Context:  For my "story arc" on this career, I decided that my big goal was to send a crewed mission to Grannus and back, in the shortest elapsed calendar time from start of career.  "Done" means "return home triumphantly."

It was lots of fun, I have no complaints.  :)  But one thing... when I finally got to Grannus, expecting to get ridiculous amounts of science, it was... surprisingly paltry.  (An EVA report, for example, was worth something like 9 science.)  Not that it actually mattered for gameplay, of course, because I had long since maxed out the science tree and further science was irrelevant.  But just in terms of "counting coup", as it were, it would have felt like a cool achievement if the value were higher.  Similarly, when I got home, the experience for getting to Grannus orbit was only 6 points-- not enough to gain even a significant fraction of a level.  A level-1 kerbal that I had along for the ride only made it to level 3.  Again, felt like it would have been a nice pat on the back if it had been a bigger reward. 

Anyway, just a suggestion.  Given how far away it is and what a big deal it is to get there, would be nice to have more of a "payoff" on Grannus, even though it's likely to be mainly symbolic by the time the player gets there.

Thanks again for an awesome mod, and adding Grannus was a great idea.  I loved the visual effect of the red glow, and also the sense of isolation being waaaaaay out in the depths of space where the nearest star (Ciro or Grannus) is just a tiny dot barely distinguishable from the skybox.

@Snark 

thanks for the feedback! I haven't played much in terms of a career, but I would probably be a little disappointed by the lack of a reward. We can change that for GPP :) Eventually, Grannus won't be alone, and there will be many science points to gather. There is no release time for that expansion though, so for the time being we could definitely raise it I think 

I think the most fun I had was on Catullus / Tarsiss.  For this career, I happened to play with Karbonite, which means they have the jet engines that work in non-oxygen atmospheres, and an atmosphere intake that filters Karbonite, so basically planes can fly forever.

I could very nearly fly a jet plane from Tarsiss to Catullus, purely on jet power alone-- the low gravity and tall atmosphere meant I could escape Tarsiss easily just on jet power.  I wasn't able to get my Catullus Pe lower than about 700 km, but part of that may have been that my plane wasn't super well optimized for speed, nor did I have the patience to get my trajectory just right.

That was fun.  :)