[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

20 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Yes Andromeda's has a Ghost3, the Ghost pics are not the problem, they are working, I installed these ghosts from this mod and it works fine, it's the sunflare and sunspikes that aren't working

Literally all you have to do is copy and paste my textures where andromeda has its sunflare textures. If his flare worked mine should work if you just overwrite his textures. If it doesn't work after following these instructions, I can't help you.

if andromedas cfgs are messed up, that's also something I can't help with.

If you are trying to use the cfg that comes in GPP in andromeda that also won't work.

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Literally all you have to do is copy and paste my textures where andromeda has its sunflare textures. If his flare worked mine should work if you just overwrite his textures. If it doesn't work after following these instructions, I can't help you.

if andromedas cfgs are messed up, that's also something I can't help with.

If you are trying to use the cfg that comes in GPP in andromeda that also won't work.

I did exactly as you said, I copied the textures from SSRSS to Andromeda's, the Ghosting works just not the others and idk why 

25 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I did exactly as you said, I copied the textures from SSRSS to Andromeda's, the Ghosting works just not the others and idk why 

Then it's probably on his end because this issue is obviously not going to be caused by just textures

I'm going to post about another failed craft.

cJ8ChDU.png

This is my current version of the Nero craft.

XC1XZI5.png

This is the problem with it.

VhkRf6F.png

The explosions are caused by "structural failure on linkage between" two parts in multiple places. This also happens between parts where there should not be any stress, like between a nose cone and a fuel tank. Any ideas what's going on and how it could be avoided? (Other than building something sensible :D)

EDIT:

ird4aUJ.png

I cut back the throttle on the solid boosters to get a launch pad TWR of 1.36 and got the craft pretty high up. At this point everything was still looking good...

V96cCbZ.png

...But then the ring went all wibbly wobbly and the craft disintegrated. I believe I would have gotten it into orbit. The apoapsis was already out of the atmosphere and the orbital velocity isn't that far away.

Edited by Luovahulluus

1 hour ago, Luovahulluus said:

...But then the ring went all wibbly wobbly

Yesss :sticktongue:

I can't help but feel those SRBs are scaled. Either you have SpaceY Extended or you inflated those things to 20m wide.......or both.

Hold onto your seats, I am building/ designing/filming a 2.5x manned mission and return from Niven. It is going to be quite the challenge but with my recent download of camera tools along with some Zack Hemsey music and very large rockets, it should be good. :)  

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yesss :sticktongue:

I can't help but feel those SRBs are scaled. Either you have SpaceY Extended or you inflated those things to 20m wide.......or both.

I do have SpaceY extended, and I still had to scale them :), only to 10m though. It's easier than using 20 of them :wink:.

The three nuclear engines use liquid fuel, so the booster tanks separating in the fourth picture contain only oxidizer. The engines in those are Vectors, scaled to 5 meters.

@Norcalplanner - Despite playing this game for more hundreds of hours than I even want to think about...  Just looking at your screenshots and your commentary. Please can you talk more around this comment - as clearly I still have so much to learn....

More numbers.  The beginning of the 22 km/s insertion burn.  It all has to be done at once - the burn is 50 minutes, and the craft's transit through Icarus'

SOI (without any insertion burn) is just 56 minutes.

I put a dawn electric engine on my last Icarus attempt that gave me plenty of D/V but not enough TWR to get into stable orbit and ended up doing yet another flyby!!  However looking at your comments above then clearly you would have had the same issue as me; in that you would exit the SOI before you managed to reduce your velocity enough to circularize - so based on the fact you just shoot past - do you then set-up another intercept in "x" number of years to get another flypast and slow down again?

@Pinchy you may have to start a really long "burn" before you actually enter the planet's SOI. This usually requires quite a bit of fiddling mid-burn to keep your periapse right. Haven't been to Iota yet but I've had my share of long Moho injections, to complicate it further I usually time things so the burn ends just as the craft reaches periapse, instead of that being halfway thru. MechJeb is real helpful here both for data displays and so you can adjust your attitude a degree at a time to maintain peri-hot.

11 hours ago, Pinchy said:

@Norcalplanner - Despite playing this game for more hundreds of hours than I even want to think about...  Just looking at your screenshots and your commentary. Please can you talk more around this comment - as clearly I still have so much to learn....

I put a dawn electric engine on my last Icarus attempt that gave me plenty of D/V but not enough TWR to get into stable orbit and ended up doing yet another flyby!!  However looking at your comments above then clearly you would have had the same issue as me; in that you would exit the SOI before you managed to reduce your velocity enough to circularize - so based on the fact you just shoot past - do you then set-up another intercept in "x" number of years to get another flypast and slow down again?

Pinchy,

I'm glad you enjoyed the screenshots and commentary.  Regarding the Icarus insertion burn - 

I have the Karbonite mod installed, which includes the Karborundum resource.  It's heavy, but when burned in a power-hungry vacuum engine, it has an Isp of 10,000.  My probe had an initial vacuum TWR of 0.6, so it's a fair bit higher than a typical ion engine layout.  So trying to replicate what I'm doing in a stock-ish install will be very difficult, if not impossible.  

In terms of time, zipping in and out of Icarus' SOI would take 56 minutes without an insertion burn, but the burn only takes 50 minutes, so I'm able to do the whole insertion without having to exit the SOI gain.  When I finished the burn I was in a very high sub-orbital lob (Ap of thousands of kilometers) which I then had to adjust to bring Pe out of the planet, then subsequently circularize at a normal height on the next orbit.

And as @CatastrophicFailure says, it's possible (and sometimes necessary) with lower thrust engines to start the burn before entering the SOI.  And MechJeb is definitely a huge help here (as it is with any long burn), especially the SmartASS function which allows you to hold various headings very precisely.

Let me know if you want more info - I'm happy to explain things in whatever level of detail you need.

Alright, I'm at my wit's end. I've been trying to get Scatterer to work with this for 2 days with no luck. I've been through the whole thread.

When I install scatterer after installing GPP, I get no atmospheric scatter effects and all the water on Gael just disappears.

Running:

KSP 1.2.2
GPP 1.2.3
Scatterer 0.0320 for KSP 1.2.2

I've followed the instructions on the first page of this thread exactly, multiple times. Clean installs of KSP. Installing them in different order, etc. It doesn't matter whether or not I have any other mods installed.

Clean KSP 1.2.2, install GPP as the instructions say, GPP works great. Add scatterer as instuctions say, it breaks as above.
Clean KSP 1.2.2, install scatterer and it works great. As soon as I add GPP it breaks as above.

I've even tried moving the config files and planet directories around, nothing works.

Can someone help me out with this? What am I missing?

Edited by Ecks Orion
Posted to soon

5 hours ago, Ecks Orion said:

Alright, I'm at my wit's end. I've been trying to get Scatterer to work with this for 2 days with no luck. I've been through the whole thread.

When I install scatterer after installing GPP, I get no atmospheric scatter effects and all the water on Gael just disappears.

Running:

KSP 1.2.2
GPP 1.2.3

I've followed the instructions on the first page of this thread exactly, multiple times. Clean installs of KSP. Installing them in different order, etc. It doesn't matter whether or not I have any other mods installed.

Clean KSP 1.2.2, install GPP as the instructions say, GPP works great. Add scatterer as instuctions say, it breaks as above.
Clean KSP 1.2.2, install scatterer and it works great. As soon as I add GPP it breaks as above.

I've even tried moving the config files and planet directories around, nothing works.

I believe you are running the incorrect version of GPP.  1.2.3 is not currently supported and this is the future version for KSP 1.2.3

14 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Pinchy,

I'm glad you enjoyed the screenshots and commentary.  Regarding the Icarus insertion burn - 

I have the Karbonite mod installed, which includes the Karborundum resource.  It's heavy, but when burned in a power-hungry vacuum engine, it has an Isp of 10,000.  My probe had an initial vacuum TWR of 0.6, so it's a fair bit higher than a typical ion engine layout.  So trying to replicate what I'm doing in a stock-ish install will be very difficult, if not impossible.  

In terms of time, zipping in and out of Icarus' SOI would take 56 minutes without an insertion burn, but the burn only takes 50 minutes, so I'm able to do the whole insertion without having to exit the SOI gain.  When I finished the burn I was in a very high sub-orbital lob (Ap of thousands of kilometers) which I then had to adjust to bring Pe out of the planet, then subsequently circularize at a normal height on the next orbit.

And as @CatastrophicFailure says, it's possible (and sometimes necessary) with lower thrust engines to start the burn before entering the SOI.  And MechJeb is definitely a huge help here (as it is with any long burn), especially the SmartASS function which allows you to hold various headings very precisely.

Let me know if you want more info - I'm happy to explain things in whatever level of detail you need.

Hi @Norcalplanner, @CatastrophicFailure - thanks for this info.  Yes hadn't considered going into Retro burn before entering the SOI - as then I would be nervous of actually losing my intercept, and working out which is retrograde to Icarus rather than Ciro would be I guess by eyeball rather than relying on the navball (although thinking about it - I guess Anti-Target would effectively be planet retrograde) - I also have the Karbonite mod installed and the Karb resource but haven't really experimented with the vacuum engines and have only played with the SRB's and the Atmo Engines.

I don't use MJ but do have KER - which I think gives similar readouts in terms of Vessel/burn stats.

Thanks for the advice - and I already have my next attempt on its way to Icarus (this time with Porkjets Lantern engine to try and get me into Orbit).  The Retro burn pre capture is definetely something I will work on with this attempt :)

6 hours ago, Ecks Orion said:

Running:

KSP 1.2.2
GPP 1.2.3

Scatterer needs to be v0.0300 if you are on 1.2.2. The cfg structure changed a lot with new scatterer 0.0320b and we are not supporting that version because we are moving on to 1.3. Our cfgs will only work with v0.0300. Sorry for the confusion. When we wrote the install instructions, we did not anticipate another release for scatterer for ksp 1.2.2.

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

Scatterer needs to be v0.0300 if you are on 1.2.2. The cfg structure changed a lot with new scatterer 0.0320b and we are not supporting that version because we are moving on to 1.3. Our cfgs will only work with v0.0300. Sorry for the confusion. When we wrote the install instructions, we did not anticipate another release for scatterer for ksp 1.2.2.

This did the trick. Thank you for the quick reply! Might want to update the install information. :)

Side note: My mom is a retired high school physics and astronomy teacher, and when I showed her KSP she flipped and was immediately hooked. The only negative thing I've heard her say about it is that she wishes the solar system was a bit bigger and more complicated. This mod completely addresses that, and is beautiful to boot.

Thank you so much for your hard work on this!!

1 hour ago, Ecks Orion said:

This did the trick. Thank you for the quick reply! Might want to update the install information. :)

Side note: My mom is a retired high school physics and astronomy teacher, and when I showed her KSP she flipped and was immediately hooked. The only negative thing I've heard her say about it is that she wishes the solar system was a bit bigger and more complicated. This mod completely addresses that, and is beautiful to boot.

Thank you so much for your hard work on this!!

Glad you and your mom like the game and the mod! Really cool you and your mom can enjoy ksp together!

Uh oh! The telescope hype train is rolling again!

Love ResearchBodies? How about its brother, Tarsier space Technologies!

Custom science for this mod has arrived. Thanks to @JPLRepo for making these a thing!

Fc7JcMi.jpg

nJyrnLu.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

So I've been trying this out with 1.3, mostly to see how it's working there.  I loved the mod with 1.2.x and I've just started trying to play again after a hiatus, so wanted to go with 1.3.  I realize the mod likely isn't stable or completely ready yet.

So far my attempts have left me at the spinning Loading... graphic indefinitely after trying to load a save or start a new game.  The log has an endless stream of these types of errors:

[EXC 11:25:55.204] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 11:25:55.221] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update ()
[EXC 11:25:55.221] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 11:25:55.236] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm on Linux.  Kopernicus and GPP are the only mods installed.

I didn't see any previous posts with this kind of error, is there something else I should look at?

Cheers,

-BS

9 minutes ago, barfing_skull said:

So I've been trying this out with 1.3, mostly to see how it's working there.  I loved the mod with 1.2.x and I've just started trying to play again after a hiatus, so wanted to go with 1.3.  I realize the mod likely isn't stable or completely ready yet.

So far my attempts have left me at the spinning Loading... graphic indefinitely after trying to load a save or start a new game.  The log has an endless stream of these types of errors:

[EXC 11:25:55.204] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 11:25:55.236] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm on Linux.  Kopernicus and GPP are the only mods installed.

I didn't see any previous posts with this kind of error, is there something else I should look at?

Cheers,

-BS

The mod is not ready for 1.3. Play 1.2.2

• 2 weeks later...