Galileo

[v1.2.3] Galileo's Planet Pack: Official Release [KSP 1.2.2]

3848 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Snark said:

could very nearly fly a jet plane from Tarsiss to Catullus, purely on jet power alone--

I'd sure like to see screenshots of that. On a related note I had built a test plane with Karbonite jets and rockets and it managed over 2km/s on Catullus. It's one of the cover images in the general pages of GPP's KSPedia.

I'm glad you enjoyed overall, man. And I'd also like to say thanks much for the feedback.

Edited by JadeOfMaar
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'd sure like to see screenshots of that.

I'll see if I can dig one up, though honestly I suspect it won't be much to look at-- "oh look, there's a plane, flying".  Hard to see that what it's actually doing is escaping the moon.  :)

It wasn't even an especially fast plane, I think it maxed out at around 1000 m/s or thereabouts.  When I built it, I built for stability and low stall speed.  The idea of flying between celestial bodies didn't even occur to me, because I skimped on my homework and didn't even realize before I left Gael that Tarsiss has an atmosphere.  I assumed I'd be doing a vacuum landing there and then go to play on Catullus.

The really funny part was, before I made my try at flying to Catullus, I nearly escaped Tarsiss involuntarily.  The plane was an unmanned drone, and I did a bit of biome-hopping to scrounge some science.  I inadvertently went a bit too fast when I was still at low altitude, to the point that plasma blackout kicked in, and suddenly I had no control of the plane at all.  Couldn't steer it, couldn't even throttle it down.  So all I could do was watch as it went faster... and faster... and climbed past escape velocity... and then it gradually started to climb at a steeper angle (because SAS was holding it in a straight line as the moon's surface curved away)... and pretty soon it was clear it was on its way out.  By the time the engines flamed out, it was on a clear escape path.  It finally climbed high enough that the atmosphere thinned out enough for the plasma blackout to fade, at which point I regained control (but no engine).  Fortunately there was enough atmosphere left that I could steer its path back downwards again and slow to a manageable speed.

The other fun anecdote.  I'd been cruising towards a target spot on Tarsiss, at a high altitude, around 75 km.  Then I was going to land.  Didn't realize until nearly too late that I'd outsmarted myself:  the plane's antenna is a dinky little RA-2 that can't reach anything except the lone relay satellite I left in Catullus orbit, and I only had LOS to it because of my very high altitude.  Drop below 60 km, and I'd lose it.  So on a whim, I just lowered my landing gear, killed the throttle, set the flaps, and pointed the nose down at a 30 degree angle.  Sure enough, total control loss at 60ish km.  Then I just watched... and watched... and watched... man this took forever (even at 4x physics warp)... and finally it glided all the way down to the ground, where it touched down at a blistering 5 m/s.  :) At which point I realized I'd forgotten to set the brakes, so it rolled along sedately until it finally petered out.

Fun times.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Big News:

While the smart people like @Galileo @OhioBob and @JadeOfMaar work on planet related stuff, I've set up GPP to allow for other languages. There are 613 strings to translate. Go to https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/blob/master/Translating.md for full instructions on how to do the translations. Don't feel a need to rush on them, it won't affect the 1.3 compatible release date. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 2:14 AM, Galileo said:

it's actually really simple and I intend on making a tutorial page one day so everyone can use the same techniques I did.

[…]

If the demand for a tutorial is high enough, I can make that happen sooner than later. 

I certainly would love your tutorial. I have a couple of ideas for planets/moons, and I would love to have all the necessary information in one place to actually turn the ideas into something I can visit :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Galileo said:

After reading about the scenarios, the answer is still no. Those are built into the game and I can't change them.

Okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you think of anything that would cause solar panels to produce only 20% as much power as they do in stock KSP?
https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/wiki suggests that they should be producing 1.057 times as much.

In Gael orbit, an OX-Stat at 100% exposure produces 0.011 e/s and an OX-4L produces only 0.051 e/s.

Note: I previously had Stock Sized Solar System installed and I believe I have completely removed it, including Sigma Dimensions. I'm still on KSP 1.2.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aelios said:

Can you think of anything that would cause solar panels to produce only 20% as much power as they do in stock KSP?
https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/wiki suggests that they should be producing 1.057 times as much.

In Gael orbit, an OX-Stat at 100% exposure produces 0.011 e/s and an OX-4L produces only 0.051 e/s.

Note: I previously had Stock Sized Solar System installed and I believe I have completely removed it, including Sigma Dimensions. I'm still on KSP 1.2.2.

Did you use the kopernicus included in the GPP download? You MUST use that version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Did you use the kopernicus included in the GPP download? You MUST use that version

Yes. Before I installed GPP I deleted Kopernicus and other mods included in GPP, then installed the mods included in GPP.

I just did that again and saw no change. I've gone through all the mods that modify game play in any way and this appears to be a problem with Kerbalism, even in sandbox.

Thank you for the rapid response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aelios said:

Yes. Before I installed GPP I deleted Kopernicus and other mods included in GPP, then installed the mods included in GPP.

I just did that again and saw no change. I've gone through all the mods that modify game play in any way and this appears to be a problem with Kerbalism, even in sandbox.

Thank you for the rapid response.

Yes kerbalism causes issues right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aelios said:

I've gone through all the mods that modify game play in any way and this appears to be a problem with Kerbalism, even in sandbox.

I believe the Kerbalism solar panel bug is fixed by deleting the following file:

GameData\GPP\GPP_Configs\SolarPanelChargeRate.cfg

You need that file if you play without Kerbalism, but with Kerbalism installed, there's some sort of unintended interaction that messes up solar panel energy output.  I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but deleting the file seems to fix it (according to another user who complained of the same issue).  Deleting the file might cause problems with solar panels around Grannus, but that may be unavoidable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I believe the Kerbalism solar panel bug is fixed by deleting the following file:

GameData\GPP\GPP_Configs\SolarPanelChargeRate.cfg

You need that file if you play without Kerbalism, but with Kerbalism installed, there's some sort of unintended interaction that messes up solar panel energy output.  I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but deleting the file seems to fix it (according to another user who complained of the same issue).  Deleting the file might cause problems with solar panels around Grannus, but that may be unavoidable.

That worked. Thank you very much. You saved me a bunch of time digging through those files.
 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best mods I've ever used!

hjGveLE.png

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, MrWalrus123 said:

One of the best mods I've ever used!

Yea, yea. That's what they all say! :sticktongue: 

Spoiler

We're glad you feel this way. :) Carry on! And epic screenshot!

 

Edited by JadeOfMaar
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - Another question this time regarding research bodies.  So I have just unlocked the "large probes" in science which unlocks the more powerful TB75M-ES Telescope.  However this does not show as a part in the VAB.  It still only shows the TB75M telescope.  However it does show an "upgraded stats tab" when right clicking and it demands I get into a 500K orbit which I have done so assuming this is just the same model but upgraded even though I get no visual indication.  However I am still unable to research Grannus as I still get the message "A faint body has been detected, you are going to need a more powerful telescope" as you do with the un-upgraded version of the telescope?

Any ideas - I doubt I can unlock something even more powerful to be able to research Grannus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah, can definitely say GPP is the best planet mod I've ever used, with OPM a close second. Just look at this...

 

Edited by TheUnamusedFox
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pinchy said:

However I am still unable to research Grannus as I still get the message "A faint body has been detected, you are going to need a more powerful telescope" as you do with the un-upgraded version of the telescope?

Any ideas - I doubt I can unlock something even more powerful to be able to research Grannus?

I didn't make the range upgrade on the telescope very generous. I had assumd players would put more of the telescope in higher orbits, like near Otho's SMA. That was a silly choice of mine......... Also, our RB config does not provide for Grannus at all. :o Oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I didn't make the range upgrade on the telescope very generous. I had assumd players would put more of the telescope in higher orbits, like near Otho's SMA. That was a silly choice of mine......... Also, our RB config does not provide for Grannus at all. :o Oops.

@JadeOfMaar - sounds like another one for the enhancements list :) - Not that I have any plans of how I am ever even going to get there yet - but researching it was for the science squeeze......

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lightning!!!!!! When are the gas giants going to have auroras?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Galileo does the texture replacer part with the Kerbals faces work in 1.3? I wanna install that part of your mod into my MARS series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@Galileo does the texture replacer part with the Kerbals faces work in 1.3? I wanna install that part of your mod into my MARS series

Yes just use Range machines version in the Texture Replacer OP

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@Galileo does the texture replacer part with the Kerbals faces work in 1.3? I wanna install that part of your mod into my MARS series

Yes TRR woks with replacement heads (Diverse Kerbal Heads in this example)

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Yes TRR woks with replacement heads (Diverse Kerbal Heads in this example)

 

I won't support TRR until there is a definitive version. There are way too many moving parts with that right now. That is why I told him to use range machines version which still works perfectly fine. Maybe @HaArLiNsH can give us an update? As far as I know, there is still work to be done.

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I won't support TRR until there is a definitive version. There are way too many moving parts with that right now. That is why I told home to use range machines version. 

Fair enough but the question was just about using the heads from GPP so I thought it was worth an answer anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's a DIY patch we can apply to the Research Bodies configs - that would be great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.