[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@fourfa @Pinchy Here you go. I've added Grannus and raised the upgrade detection range to about 2x Grannus' apoapsis.

Grannus for ResearchBodies

And speaking of Grannus, I upgraded my personal sunflare for it and Ciro. @Galileo you like? :P All the elements are yours except the rim ghost from the Eden sunflare.

q0vGOls.jpg

Pt78QlJ.jpg 

qdXOTzg.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

I won't support TRR until there is a definitive version. There are way too many moving parts with that right now. That is why I told him to use range machines version which still works perfectly fine. Maybe @HaArLiNsH can give us an update? As far as I know, there is still work to be done.

Hey guys, you were right to advice the use of TR :)  I still have a lot of things to do (and learn) to give you a proper new TRR and if it works with the latest version of TR, it will be easy to convert it to TRR when the time comes.

Actually the major difference between TRR and TR is that we have a new shader system and a better MM compatibility, but in the future, expect a new suit system and a new way to use your texture pack (they will go out of TRR folder, so no more losses when you update it)

I can't give you an expected release date as I'm still in the learning curve of how all of this works :)

41 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I still have a lot of things to do (and learn) to give you a proper new TRR and if it works with the latest version of TR

I've been watching the thread and expecting/knowing as much. Your work is greatly appreciated. :) Thanks for the further heads-up. 

Here is a snippet from my career gameplay. I sent as light of a probe as possible in order to cheaply have the deltaV to get to Otho in 2.5x. The burn to intersect with its orbit was 3600m/s from LGO plus 180m/s of corrections and an 750m/s capture burn.

The video is only accessible through link since it uses copyrighted content in order to please the Youtube Gods, also it is demonetized. :) 

Edited by 4d4Garrison

On 12.6.2017 at 10:51 PM, ModerndayLink64 said:

This can be easily done in space engine, just move to the spot of choice, and press escape and there will be an option to export skybox in cube map format

I finally looked into Space Engine, but the detail of the galaxies is not nearly enough to be used as a skybox, IMO. The galaxies are just volumetric fog, compared to real photos where you can actually see the huge amounts of stars.

In other news, I have discovered the limits of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod...

j3SA3Ih.png

This is the ship Nero Insanity. I actually got it to fly to about 5000 meters before it disintegrated. Somehow that landing pad looks inadequate...

2sqE8Pf.png

There is a silver lining to all this: when testing the craft I did see lots of spectacular explosions :).

The next version is going to be sturdier and a little lighter. It also has a separate ISRU lander, which can refuel most of the ring at one go. At the moment, the craft, the lander, atmospheric booster stage and a rover are totalling just over 400 parts.

I made something big too, not obviously like in the above post, but with a lot of modding intervention-- finely crafted custom OPT engines, and a practical body shape and mass for the ship's ONE job... chasing Lili like a dog chases cars. :sticktongue: And then I crash it while attempting to land somewhere suspicious on Gratian. Valentina was in it. She survived.

QviEI1J.jpg

SqR9gts.jpg HhtLc63.jpg PBjIFUi.jpg 

SvtWC97.jpg I9zhSp2.jpg CyF8m59.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

and back to baby steps after your magnificent ships ^^ - I have successfully researched Grannus and have a probe on its way - I think it is 10 years before it gets there....:0.0:...  I am thinking that when it arrives I w am very afraid to find something like this....

Sandbox sub-plot machinations continue.

Operation "Bring HER Home" gains a memorable name and continues. I whipped up a rescue ship/primary explorer vessel (for the portion of GPP development that contains frankly exploring and finding both unplanned goodies and potential issues in the bodies) and touched down 16km from the wreckage. Again, I don't like VTOLs but the plane absolutely needed to be a VTOL. High PQS detail and gentle bumps favorable to horizontal landings seem to have an inverse correlation.

Rescue pilot Ribbur Kerman takes on this dangerous job and (after a few flips and kabooms, arrives at Val's side and observes the wreckage with her.

xLioI2E.jpg

dS734rf.jpg C2UiwmG.jpg paUgc5l.jpg

Taking another dose of inspiration from @RocketPCGaming (Ven's revamp, many cupolas, and an array each of direct and relay antennae, and many docking ports...but not including inflatables, many small solar panels :P or docking ports in the station's stack) I whipped this up real fast too and put it in Grannus orbit, specifically, at the random altitude of 2.238Gm where solar input is about 1.06:1 compared to at Gael. Jeb himself was a placeholder but now he can come back and help produce more screenshots.

I'd like to legit build this and put it in a ridiculous yet still reasonable location. Maybe the proper version will handle Karborundum... and contain Ven's 3.75m inline cabin. That thing looks awesome.

Without antennae, the top of this thing looks like Saruman's castle.

QXBfvyy.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@Galileo 

I'm curious as to how you've managed to add what appears to be 'bump' maps or 'normal' maps to your surface textures for GPP. I'd like to know how you made them since I'm trying to make some realistic textures for my own mod.

21 minutes ago, Tynton said:

@Galileo 

I'm curious as to how you've managed to add what appears to be 'bump' maps or 'normal' maps to your surface textures for GPP. I'd like to know how you made them since I'm trying to make some realistic textures for my own mod.

If you have done normal maps for planets, then its the same process for ground textures. 

Open your texture up in photoshop/gimp and use the normal map filter to make it a normal map. save/export the normal map as DXT5nm (normal map). make sure you save the texture with mipmaps.

I think I finally understand the Ore problem that has plagued some players. Unless I'm mistaken, a polar survey needs to be conducted before Ore's presence (and Karbonite too, for whatever reason) become readable to some or all surface mode scanners meanwhile certain other resources may already/always be available. (CRP/Regloith system bugs. Yay.) While confirming that, I went around Ciro and Grannus, checking up on them. Ciro nearly melted me. :P #allpartoftheplan

After the serious stuff was done I went and played with Catullus and Tarsiss again.

vLMVXah.jpg KyOVTXn.jpg

NwAYolr.jpg dKezrPw.jpg

Well now I know that this level of slingshot is possible.... *closes KSP* 

qBKvW0h.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, Tynton said:

@Galileo

I also wanted to know what DDS compression you're using on the bump and standard textures, I assume DTX1?

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:55 AM, Galileo said:

If you have done normal maps for planets, then its the same process for ground textures. 

Open your texture up in photoshop/gimp and use the normal map filter to make it a normal map. save/export the normal map as DXT5nm (normal map). make sure you save the texture with mipmaps.

Question for the mad math peeps: 

I'm preparing to send crews to Iota & Ceti, while using Kerbalism which simulates radiation belts. To avoid half-killing the crew, I need an initial orbit on the order of 15-20 degrees inclination, thus flying up and over (or under) the inner belt. 

So, question is: how can I calculate my launch window so as to catch Iota/Ceti at their AN/DN, avoiding a big correction burn en-route?

(I know I can figure it out by cheating a test probe into orbit then playing around with Hyperedit and maneuver nodes to find the right parking orbit, but I'd like to, y'know, not cheat. If I can. :P)

17 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Question for the mad math peeps: 

I'm preparing to send crews to Iota & Ceti, while using Kerbalism which simulates radiation belts. To avoid half-killing the crew, I need an initial orbit on the order of 15-20 degrees inclination, thus flying up and over (or under) the inner belt. 

A  mid-flight course correction doesn't cost too much dV, especially if you are heading far out to Ceti on the minimuum 6 degree difference in planes (15-9)

17 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, question is: how can I calculate my launch window so as to catch Iota/Ceti at their AN/DN, avoiding a big correction burn en-route?

(I know I can figure it out by cheating a test probe into orbit then playing around with Hyperedit and maneuver nodes to find the right parking orbit, but I'd like to, y'know, not cheat. If I can. :P)

Very specifically, the launch window you are looking for is 'when to launch from KSC so that you can launch to the target moon ASAP from parking orbit'. However, it does depend on how well you can control the LAN of your inclination post launch -  so there will always be some adjustment. 

Given that there is already room for error, we can use some rough and ready approximations. 

Time it takes to complete Hohmann Transfer: Kepler's Third Law simplified states that (Orbital Period, OP)α (Semi-Major Axis, SMA)3

You have the orbital periods of the moons and SMA from the wiki but simplifying, because a parking orbit around Gael is tiny vs. the SMA of a moon, that the orbital period of the transfer to to any moon = (Moon's OP)*(1/8)0.5,  taking the SMA of the transfer orbit as 1/2 SMA Moon, = 35.4% of  Moon's OP. The transfer time would be half that orbital period, = ~17.7%

Which means that you would launch from ORBIT when the moon is (360*17.7%)= ~63.6, or about 65 degrees from the ascending/descending node. 

But wait, this is starting to look awfully familiar  - it's all just angles, just like the first time you traveled to the Mun.

Zeroing in on the answer you want though, relies in the fact that the AN/DN is in relation to your orbit so to arrive at the AN/DN, you leave from your DN/AN 180 degrees opposite. To be fair, this isn't really the case as the SOI of the moon subtends a certain angle in the sky but were doing rough and ready here. So, that means you launch from KSC when the target moon is 180-65 = 115 degrees ahead of the KSC

Edit: for Iota at least, you can predictably offset  the 115 degrees by how much you find your LAN displaced from KSC for a classic launch profile. For example, after launch, you find that your AN is displaced 10 degrees West relative to KSC, so you would launch from KSC when Iota is 105 degrees ahead of KSC. Assuming perfect launch with correct azumith heading from KSC into a 15 degree inclination orbit, your AN will be displaced 35 degrees West. So launch from KSC when it is 85 degrees behind Iota.

For Ceti, it's more complicated, ran out of Math-Fu for today, so perhaps wait till it's close to it's 75-65 degrees from it's AN/DN  relative to Gael to minimise errors. Underlying math located here (scroll a bit further down)

Open to corrections if I've messed up somewhere. Pedantry and accuracy I'll leave to those with more time who aren't playing more KSP instead. :D

Edited by Weywot8

Just wondering if the private industry strategy configured by this mod in Strategia gives a bit too much science a bit too easily? The following only with the level 1 commitment. Using CTT (but hiding unused tech nodes) and the near future parts naturally increases the payouts due to the unresearched techs multiplier, but still it feels a bit out of line with everything else. 

21RjVQt.jpg

The boundary between high and low space at Eta appears to be 30 Km, but the in-game KSPedia page says it's 80 Km.  I assume 30 Km is the intended value, in which case there's a typo on the KSPedia page.

I've scanned both Thalia and Eta for biome and height, the window is open to send over some Kerbals! The mission is more than one year and the plan is for enough food (some grown) and habitation space to keep 6 Kerbals happy and land them all on every single biome in Eta and Thalia. Also for them to return home.

tXd2kJU.jpg

Experienced the kraken I guess? NaN and 0s all around, 00000000m height, no vessel- all hands lost. Hundreds of pieces of debris... I fixed it. Also an issue I remember experiencing with stock, time warp with nuclear engines resulting in an increase in dV requirements instead of a decrease.

4 hours ago, AG5BPilot said:

The boundary between high and low space at Eta appears to be 30 Km, but the in-game KSPedia page says it's 80 Km.  I assume 30 Km is the intended value, in which case there's a typo on the KSPedia page.

Yes, 30 km is the intended value.  The low/high space boundary should always be 1/2 the planet radius.  We'll need to fix the KSPedia.