Just feel like sharing a screenshot.

Whackjob

The outside columns are actually combination lander legs and thruster cores.  

In landers past, while I'd have reinforcement thick like I usually like, there would still be just one main reinforced "spar" going out to the leg.   I've gone multiple in that regard.

I'm exploiting engineering's greatest secret:  Triangles.

6 hours ago, Whackjob said:

Yes!  That's one of my favorite design innovations.  Putting the crew container on the cheeks end of the rocket.  Why climb all the way from the top?  Just gotta put the actual engines safely out to the side.

It's gonna be the coolest thing ever, if the kerbals have to scale the rafters of the lander structure to get down to ground level.

EDIT: Oh my god, I just had a great discovery. Land this thing on the mun, then dock base modules to the rafters. Tree house much?

Edited by Matuchkin

6 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

It's gonna be the coolest thing ever, if the kerbals have to scale the rafters of the lander structure to get down to ground level.

Well, I *did* have a rover like that once.

fPQBKts.png[

Edited by Whackjob

22 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

What is that thing meant for?

Engineering exercise.  It never left Kerbin, but with it, I learned how to move about large masses on wheels in a stable manner.

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.