Jet-Powered Rocket

I just want to share the design for a rocket I came up with that uses jet-fuel boosters to get its first kick to space rather than liquid fuel or SRBs. I haven't gotten this to space yet; I took a screencap shortly after (actual) liftoff and shortly after the game crashed. Image below"

Spoiler

Pq34zKB.jpg

Honestly, I can't believe it even took off. It estimates about 18 minutes worth of fuel. This is a very early modded science mode game, and these are the first jet fuel tanks/engines/air intakes that you can unlock. The intakes and engines were made larger with Tweakscale, and that also increased the output enough for the bigger tanks. I haven't tried this with other engines. Has anyone else done this and, if so, how did it go?

I made a small jet booster for some of my small rockets which is capable of landing 

abylLph.png

Using the early jets is a bit tricky as they loose thrust at higher altitude. When you get the panther or whiplash engine they are probably a bit more viable.

They can make a nice cheap alternative to SSTO's 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.