The Elkano challenge (all versions accepted!)

Here's my take on the Elcano Challenge, with a circumnavigation of Minmus. I have KIS but I didn't use it here, and the only non-stock stuff on my rover are several DMagic Science (as it is a carreer science mission) and TACLS stuff containers. Make sure to click the images to have the descriptions.Well, that was very fun!

https://imgur.com/a/nKtKs#h0yZD8Z

EDIT: previous link broke.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

Started my journey. Decided to strap on some pontoons instead of towing a landing craft. The jet engines will be used for the short water phase and to assist slope/mountain climbing. Water speed is really bad at 9 m/s, but the length of the trip will only add more fun.

jQ3hI6y.png

Gonna make a thread when I got enough pics of the trip. I'm planning on following a path similar to Wook's in his circumnavigation thread.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

7 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

jQ3hI6y.png

Like the tank. Planning to do an elkano by train. (its going to be so slow... but I have a jet engine :P ) Different route though.  Only worry is sudden destruction of train and having to constantly send new ones.

• 3 weeks later...

My originals still going from last time awaiting new trains

But I might give this a go with a little crew tram while im waiting

At 14ms though itll take months but damn I miss it :)

Its so relaxing after work,

Havent been outside the loopline mountaun run with one yet though

EDIT - Change of mind sorry, but thanks for the inspiration :D 

ive spent the last 2 days in and out of SPH, in note pad and google drive digging up old notes and mods 

Im happy to say Locomotive 4432 has been born and shes had a shakedown cruise ready for the mainline

ank0w3t.png

fully diesel electric once again... 

I'll dig up my old Elcano challenge thread and dust it off.. best of luck to everyone here especially any fellow train drivers

its a rewarding, disheartening soulcrushing awesome happy amazing thing to drive a train on kerbin in such a challenge.. 

You have my respect and admiration :D

Edited by Overland

On 24/04/2017 at 8:13 AM, qzgy said:

Like the tank. Planning to do an elkano by train. (its going to be so slow... but I have a jet engine :P ) Different route though.  Only worry is sudden destruction of train and having to constantly send new ones.

Wooo more trains :) lovely

Explode you will

But enjoy it greatly you also will :)

Edited by Overland

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been pondering doing an Elcano of my own.  (Would be my first forum challenge).  While I was reading through the previous thread (Started by Claw) there were a couple of discussions of the very low-G moons, and how to handle them.  I'm a bit curious about making a project of doing all of the low-G moons in succession, myself.  Tho a couple of people in that thread seemed to dislike driving on them :/ Also, a point I saw in the rules of the last thread but don't see in this one, am I allowed to test the rover out before starting the journey?  Is that only on Kerbin?

And while I was pondering doing that, I tried out building long range rovers on Kerbin.  Just for practice sake.  My latest rethink of the idea performs surprisingly well...  So well in fact, I've started thinking about doing a Kerbin Elcano, instead of (or before) any of the low-G moons.

My Kerbin-based long range amphibious rover:

Spoiler

eRWq665.png

It's a rather big rover, relies on the industrial wheels and goliath engines for locomotion.  On flat land it can pass 70m/s, in the water it also does at least 75ish m/s.  The trick, as you might notice, is it floats upside down.  The two afterburning engines behind the front wheels face opposite directions, and can be turned on (in wet mode) to flip it while sitting in the water.  This was an older (modded) version, with low fuel, reaching 115m/s in water.

And here it is, on ground.  One of the cargo bays in the middle is inverted, and hides the drill.

TVxbjpd.png

So, any thoughts on what I should do?  Take that rover out on a Kerbin Elcano?  The views might be nice in a couple of places...  Or try to do all of the low-G moons?  A few of the old Minmus voyages looked really interesting.  When I started thinking about doing this myself, I was going to use Near Future ion drives to help stick to the ground...  Might make Gilly feasible?

(I had submitted this post before a week or so back, might have been auto-signed-out by the time I hit reply.  If the old one's still waiting for mod review, sorry for the re-post.)

On 19/5/2017 at 8:32 PM, llanthas said:

A little clarification on this one? 

It doesn't appear that the rover has to be wheel-propelled, so if I were to make, say, a rover powered by small rockets, and do this at, say, 100m/s or so, would that qualify?  I'm thinking RCS to stick the inevitable crashes landings, and continue on Extreme Baja Dunebuggy style..

Don't use engines while in air and you will be fine

21 hours ago, gilflo said:

I completed my Elcano in April. Do you update the board?

Sorry me being lazy/forgetting it but i have to go to bed will do ASAP 

Here's my circumnavigation of Kerbin by mostly land, I hope it qualifies. The (still)1.2.2-install is heavily modded, with Mk2 Expansion, SXT, Near Future Construction, USI Survivability and DMagic Orbital Science being components in the construction. (I think. The major ones, anyway.)

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha!

I finished my little Mun trip this last weekend, i was going to post for visibility since the report is kind of hidden in it's own thread, so rkarmark can confirm if i can wear the badge...

On 8/6/2017 at 8:08 PM, rkarmark said:

Don't use engines while in air and you will be fine

Hmmm...  :D

I hope it qualifies, i used engines in flight to avoid a horrible rocky death for my kerbals (i.e. only to brake or to move a bit sideways if the free fall ended directly into a rock).  I'd like to point out that technically... there's no air in Mun. :P

Finished report and craft link below:

https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Munar-rover-mk-4

12 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Yup, once it refuels, we'll go swimming. Or more like aquagliding

I look forward to this, circumnavigating Laythe is a great experience. Jool looming in the sky never lets you forget how far from home you are.

Will you write a mission report?

Definitely going to make a report thread for this mission. It's already 2 challenges in one mission (and I'm still not fully sure about another crazy option...) with 2 shuttles (the second is currently flying towards Pol to mine some fuel), Elcanoplan (this version is even capable of actual flight - dropped it from orbit and used to scout landing site) and mobile mining base

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.