[KSP Any] Not So Simple Construction (1.0.2) - Simple Construction Addon (2017-03-13)

RealGecko

Extraplanetary Launchpads is great mod, but too complicated to my liking.

On the other hand Simple Construction is pretty good. It turned my Mun and Minmus research and refuel bases to fully functional rocket building facilities, but due to design it's missing EPL recycler and survey stake (must have for surface building).

So I decided to create a middle ground between the two.

Meet the Not So Simple Construction.

Adds Mallet, Survey Stake, Recycler to the game and turns Cupola module to EPL Survey Station.

EN4QU18.png

Requirements:

• Simple Construction
  • Module Manager
  • KIS

Not included into download, you'll need to install 'em separately.

Legal Stuff:

License GPL v3

This mod contains models from Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Source:

GitHub repo

Download:

Spacedock

How to:

1. Grab survey stake and mallet.
  2. Hammer survey stake into the ground.
  3. Right click cupola module and click "Show UI".
  4. Build your rocket.
  5. Have fun!!!

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.0.2:

• Removed K&K Planetary Cupola definition as KPBS now has extensive EL support
  • Mallet MM patch (for KIS) tweaked

Version 1.0.1:

• Added support for KPBS, K&K Planetary Cupola is now survey station too

Warning!!! If you encounter problems with K&K Planetary Cupola not showing "Finalize Build" button, then just quick save and quick load.

Edited by RealGecko
Mod update

18 minutes ago, LitaAlto said:

I can appreciate that, but I don't use cupolas on bases, only space stations. :/

• Navigate to your GameData/NSSC/Parts/SurveyStation
  • Create a copy of SurveyStation.cfg
  • Rename copy to something like MySuperSurveyStation.cfg
  • Open copy in text editor
  • Put next text inside:
@PART[<PART_NAME>]
{
	MODULE:NEEDS[SimpleConstruction]
	{
		name = ExSurveyStation
	}
}
  • Replace <PART_NAME> with your often base control cabin name, for example:
@PART[mk2LanderCabin]
{
	MODULE:NEEDS[SimpleConstruction]
	{
		name = ExSurveyStation
	}
}

Will turn all Mk2 Lander Cans to EPL survey station

• ??????
  • PROFIT!!!!1111oneoneone
Edited by RealGecko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been wondering why the survey stakes aren't working -- as in, calling the menu produces NREs in the log and a mangled window when using stakes, but everything appears to work normally when using a launchpad.

Found it. The current, 5.8.0 version of Launchpad.dll hardcodes the location of three textures - icon_button, icon_filter and plaque, in ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Textures. The third one is required for the stakes.

SimpleConstruction bundles the first two, but not the third one.

Now I'm wondering why nobody seems to have noticed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

just installed 'not so simple ...' because I hoped to make use use of the Survey Stake and the Mallet. But ... although my Kerbal could hammer that thing in the ground and I gave it a name (tried also without changing the name)  it is not recognised as a production point (Ex. Launchpad) But whenever I add a  docking port the window appears, but the Survey Stake is not in the list. So if I build something it appears bound to the docking port, with the sometimes even catastrophic results releasing the produced vessel on a planet ... wrong position, jumping away from the port, exploding etc.

Any ideas what went wrong ?  Have I missed an essential procedure to make those stakes work ? No, no black cat crossed the Kerbals path before it planted the Survey stake ;-)

TIA, Joe

Edited by JoeeoJ

Hi RealGecko,

meanwhile ... yes. Now I could see a red bar near the survey stake  when I used it. The window now appears, but with exception of the title line it is all empty - just grey.  I tried it in combination with a docking port ... no difference. When a stake is in the ground ... grey.  I still use KSD Version 1.3.0 (1804 ) as certain mods do not yet run on 1.3.1. I used ckan to install my mods.

If you need a certain log , a list of all mods (~40) or similar output, no problem, just tell me what you need.

TIA, Joe

Edited by JoeeoJ
Forgotten a piece of information

I'm not sure about version 1.3.0 as I never run it :D

EL had some troubles that day, so maybe something is wrong with EL itself. There're defenitely some troubles I encounter myself from time to time. I recommend you upgrading to 1.3.1 to be sure that everything is up to date. As for mods: CKAN now has an option to install mods that are "incompatible" with current KSP version. That's what I did when I was transitioning from 1.2.2 to 1.3.1. And I'll tell you one thing: I have 185 mods installed, so I was at bigger risk :D:D:D

Hi RealGecko,

have carefully updated to 1.3.1 and ... and I could meanwhile get updates for all but one mod for 1.3.1. Fortunately the one which reminds me each time during start that I need a newer compatible version , is still working without any problems (SETI probe parts) and this is very good, as almost all of my satellites are build with at least one of the parts... Some mods have still some bugs, but overall no crashes ... :confused:

And now ... further good news ... yes, now 'not so simple construction' is indeed working as described above, it's just awesome !

Thanks for this mod and your support !

Greetings from Luxembourg, Joe

Edited by JoeeoJ
corrected a typo and added another info

• 2 months later...

Hi!

If anyone's interested, I've made a few MM patches for some mod support.

First, just as itself, convert every crewed part into a survey station

Spoiler

//Add survey capability to all manned parts
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ExSurveyStation],#CrewCapacity[>0]]:FOR[NSSC]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ExSurveyStation
	}
}

Second, some sweet Community Category Kit support (that doubles up for EL too)

Spoiler

// Place these parts into EVA category
@PART[ExMallet]:BEFORE[CommunityCategoryKit]:NEEDS[NSSC|ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads]
{
	tags = cck-eva-items
}
@PART[ExSurveyStake]:BEFORE[CommunityCategoryKit]:NEEDS[NSSC|ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads]
{
	tags = cck-eva-items
}

Cheers :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.