Forum post counter, likes and reputation

Hello everybody,

I already spoke to @Starhawk about the technical possibilities. Currently it can only be changed in global settings and is not available to the common forum user. Maybe my suggestion will find a way into the next forum update and so I hope we can have a friendly and productive discussion that might get some attention from one of the forum devs.

I would like to have the option to hide my reputation number, post counter and given likes to any of my posts from other users and myself. This includes that I cannot see the information of others either. I know it was possible to at least hide the reputation bar in the old forums.

Personally I have a problem with these information displayed on both my profile/posts and on others. I recognized that I often judge posts by the likes people have given. I scroll through threads and just stop to read posts which have several likes. I also tend to read posts only from users who have a significant amount of posts.

This is a subconscious but really bad behavior and I'm certainly not the only one.

Everyone should read a post and then form an opinion. I think likes, post counters and reputation numbers have a manipulating effect. I also don't want to be judged by likes and other mediate stuff. Everyone should get the same, unfiltered attention.

I would be grateful to have a more simplified forum experience and the option to hide my user information from others and myself as well as make their information invisible to me. I couldn't find similar topics and assume most people are fine with the current situation, but I wish the minority to feel comfortable here too.

Looking forward to your replies, Thank you for your time!

Edited by Red Iron Crown

These settings are global rather than per user, so reputation display is either on for everyone or off for everyone. While I share your opinion of visible rep counts (and hid mine when the option existed on vB), I am afraid that is a minority opinion so it will stay visible.

We are not able to add or remove features from the software directly like this, that software is developed and maintained by a third party, Invision.

I think your best bet would be using a tool like Greasemonkey or Stylish to modify what you see to your liking. Not much to be done about other users other than sharing whatever solution you find.

Sorry for double posting, but I'm curious what the advantages of visible rep points are. Could anyone explain please? Since I know they cannot be hidden it would be helpful to get a different perspective.

I think most people just don't care about visible rep points and would be fine, if they were turned off globally. At some point it is our own responsibility to shape the forum as we'd like it to be. Just because certain features are there doesn't mean we have to use them. The last thing I would want to see is this forum transform into some kind of social media platform.

Sorry for double posting, but I'm curious what the advantages of visible rep points are. Could anyone explain please? Since I know they cannot be hidden it would be helpful to get a different perspective.

Many people like the visible counter. Some consider it a data point in estimating whether a person is worth paying attention to. Others like it as a visible reminder of their perceived status or popularity in the community. Others just think of it as a score (gamers, amirite?). You might disagree with some of these reasons (I certainly do) but that doesn't invalidate them. 

I think most people just don't care about visible rep points and would be fine, if they were turned off globally.

Maybe start a poll here in the Kerbal Network for some real data rather than just "I think most people", though I suspect the results won't be what you are expecting.

At some point it is our own responsibility to shape the forum as we'd like it to be. Just because certain features are there doesn't mean we have to use them. The last thing I would want to see is this forum transform into some kind of social media platform.

It is, by definition, a social media platform and always has been. The whole point is for people to interact and share content with each other. The reputation system is just another form of interaction. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

So that you can show to others that you are better than them.

I think most people just don't care about visible rep points and would be fine, if they were turned off globally.

Go tell that to the folks down in the "Rep Grand Group" thread.

At some point it is our own responsibility to shape the forum as we'd like it to be. Just because certain features are there doesn't mean we have to use them. The last thing I would want to see is this forum transform into some kind of social media platform.

What RIC said. Quicker to like a post than to write a reply saying "I agree with you, my good fellow" (and less spammy), also an excellent way to be passive-agressive when used the right (wrong?) way. Definitely part of your average social media stuff.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

On 11/24/2016 at 10:28 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

Maybe start a poll here in the Kerbal Network for some real data rather than just "I think most people", though I suspect the results won't be what you are expecting.

I already thought about making a poll, but as I see how many people other than you have replied to this thread I guess that 3 will vote for visible rep and 2 for hidden rep. If there hasn't been any discussion at all to collect some data, a poll is an overkill in my opinion. I'm not here to protest, I'm here to learn. If I don't get behind why visible rep points are desirable, it doesn't invalidate them, as you already said. But I also want to share my perspective to others and tell them how things appear to me, so that they can also learn from me.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:28 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

It is, by definition, a social media platform and always has been. The whole point is for people to interact and share content with each other. The reputation system is just another form of interaction.

I should have said that I distinguish between forums and social media platforms like YT and FB. There weren't any rep points and likes in the forums I used to hang around a few years ago, and they worked just fine. Unfortunately I cannot quote, but somebody once said "forums are dead" some time ago and I have to agree. Rep, likes and followers are no inventions of classic forums.

Edit:

On 11/24/2016 at 11:05 AM, Gaarst said:

Go tell that to the folks down in the "Rep Grand Group" thread.

Yeah, I've seen them. Not something I would support to be honest...

On 11/24/2016 at 11:05 AM, Gaarst said:

Quicker to like a post than to write a reply saying "I agree with you, my good fellow" (and less spammy)

It's nice to get likes, but you never know what exactly people liked about your post when they're not commenting. I prefer a conversation over a quick like. Isn't it the point of a forum, that someone starts a thread and gets a conversation rolling with many posts? Well, I might be outdated...

already thought about making a poll, but as I see how many people other than you have replied to this thread I guess that 3 will vote for visible rep and 2 for hidden rep. If there hasn't been any discussion at all to collect some data, a poll is an overkill in my opinion. I'm not here to protest, I'm here to learn. If I don't get behind why visible rep points are desirable, it doesn't invalidate them, as you already said. But I also want to share my perspective to others and tell them how things appear to me, so that they can also learn from me.

Don't take that post of mine as hostile to your perspective, in many ways I share it. :) 

I should have said that I distinguish between forums and social media platforms like YT and FB. There weren't any rep points and likes in the forums I used to hang around a few years ago, and they worked just fine. Unfortunately I cannot quote, but somebody once said "forums are dead" some time ago and I have to agree. Rep, likes and followers are no inventions of classic forums.

I don't think of it as a black-and-white distinction, but instead a continuum of anonymity and profile data. You can see the extreme high anonymity/low profile data somewhere like 4chan, and the extreme low anonymity/high profile data somewhere like Facebook; most forums and social media sites fall somewhere in between. Neither of those extreme example sites I gave have communities of which I am truly fond but that is only in small part because of where they fall on the scale.

I've participated in forum-style communities for decades, at many points along that continuum. In my experience the amount of user data visible has a fairly small effect on the quality of the community; it is greatly overshadowed by the core subject matter of the community and the rules/customs that have evolved with it. I have to say that the KSP community's core subject matter is one that attracts the sort of people that I tend to like (KSP being a game that rewards a smart, patient player). As for the rules and customs, I should probably recuse myself from commenting as I have played a small part in developing those rules and enforcing them. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

It's nice to get likes, but you never know what exactly people liked about your post when they're not commenting. I prefer a conversation over a quick like. Isn't it the point of a forum, that someone starts a thread and gets a conversation rolling with many posts? Well, I might be outdated...

When 10 people arrive in the middle of a conversation, it gets messy. Answering a post directed to you is just a matter of politeness, but if I click on a thread that has like 50 replies that are weeks old, I'm not going to bother quoting dozens just to get in the debate, I'll drop a few likes and go at the end of the thread.

Or you can just agree with someone and have nothing to say, because what you think has already been said, because you don't want to say something stupid, or just because you can't be bothered jumping into a debate at that moment.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

25 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Don't take that post of mine as hostile to your perspective, in many ways I share it. :)

Alright, sorry if I sounded impatient, that was not my intention.

Yes, I agree with what you said about the continuum and that the KSP forum is somewhere in the middle. As KSP is a great game and has an awesome community, I would try and keep it there and let it not slip into a direction nobody initially wanted to go, that is, I've noticed the little extras in the new forum compared to the old one and was worried about all this fancy stuff coming in. It appeared to me KSP was trying to join the mainstream gaming scene, something what I wouldn't have liked, because with all the fame the downside of things will show up soon. However, I also think that it's the core subject of a community that makes it what it is, and in case of KSP's nature, it should resist all negative influences I personally see in the net.

10 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

When 10 people arrive in the middle of a conversation, it gets messy. Answering a post directed to you is just a matter of politeness, but if I click on a thread that has like 50 replies that are weeks old, I'm not going to bother quoting dozens just to get in the debate, I'll drop a few likes and go at the end of the thread.

Or you can just agree with someone and have nothing to say, because what you think has already been said, because you don't want to say something stupid, or just because you can't be bothered jumping into a debate at that moment.

Okay, I understand your points. Usually others have already said what I think and then I save my post to not overload a thread.

44 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

That there is my reason only reason for liking a post, as you say there's no point in saying whats already been said and i' m no fan of 3 word posts. I also feel that it gives the person getting the like the impression that at least someone agrees with their feelings or sentiments on a particular subject and they're not a complete nutter :)  Personally i don't care either way, although the rep is something i only discovered on my return to the forums, i believe there's always been some form or indication of standing, different colored bars in the first forum incarnation i think.

I agree that the rep-to-post count ratio does subconsciously affect my opinion of a particular post, and I am ashamed of that. That being said, I'm not sure if I would want them to be hidden. I think the profile to the left of the post would look a bit empty without the rep count and post count. :) 

Thank you RIC. I tried both Greasemonkey and Stylish, but they're too complicated for me. I'm afraid there is no other solution.

This should remove the rep counter.

Paste this into an empty sytlish style, save, and enable for forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com:

.ipsRepBadge {
    color: #5f7a47;
    background-color: #5f7a47;
  }

.ipsRepBadge_positive {
    color: #5f7a47;
    background-color: #5f7a47;
  }

It's very quick and dirty, just changing the background color to the same as the rep text color, and it might not work on browsers other than chrome, if it doesn't work let me know and I'll see what I can do. :) 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Hey Mad Rocket Scientist, this is amazing, posts look so much cleaner now!

I linked your script in my signature, so everyone who stumbles across my posts can have the same forum experience.

Thank you for your efforts!

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Hey Mad Rocket Scientist, this is amazing, posts look so much cleaner now!

I linked your script in my signature, so everyone who stumbles across my posts can have the same forum experience.

Thank you for your efforts!

You're welcome. :) 

Thanks for putting it in you signature!

Edited by Red Iron Crown