KSP Weekly: The Kerbal family wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_oh83u8vqI11rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! Yesterday was for some a day to appreciate what we have, to think about what’s important in life, be thankful, as well as spend time with our loved ones, and, even though not all of us celebrate these values during this season, they are universal. Despite all of the grimness the world seems to have in abundance, it is important to meditate about the things we should be grateful for. We for instance, have many many reasons to be thankful for, like being part of the Kerbal family and for having the pleasure to share our passion with this amazing community. So, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving! And without further ado, let’s dive into this week’s Kerbal news!

Let’s start with the Quality Assurance front, where this week’s tasks have mainly involved non-stop testing of the upcoming builds and collider performance improvements. Furthermore, we got 1.2.2 into experimentals this week and things are looking good in the early stages, but we’ll keep gathering as much feedback as we can from the brave group of players that make up the experimental testing team. Kudos!

Our teammate, sal_vager, was so inspired by this week’s activities that he wanted to share this small poem with you all:

Driving here, driving there

Tweaking configs by a hair

Tiny changes and wheels break

Far too often, no fun to brake

Engineers have less to do

But leaves wheels fun for me and you

On the other hand, our developers have also been involved with a variety of tasks. Some of them have spent time on locking down and fixing bugs for 1.2.2, as well as, working on the contract backstory generator and supporting the localization efforts. Additionally this week included work on pending things on the tracker and helping the art department sort out parts for testing and fixing the drill particles. Correspondingly we gave the final touches to the new keyboard layout functionality, and we have been spending some time upgrading and changing the tools used by our team internally to help the team bring you great things in the future!.

In like manner we are continuing to look at the Design for future installments, as well as presenting ideas and thoughts to the team. We’re very excited to see what else we can bring to the mix to bring the game into new horizons.

Moreover, our art team has been optimizing part colliders whenever we think it might improve performance and send that straight to the nice guys at QA. Likewise, we’re still working on the images for localization, extracting the text to translate and preparing the photoshop documents for the massive task of adapting them to every language we’ll be including.

In other respects, the Kerbal Around the World contest continues and we’re hyped to see how many of you have been sending us amazing pictures of Kerbals in all sorts of cool places and landmarks. Remember that you can still participate and win a signed poster designed by Yorshee and signed by the KSP team in Mexico, among other cool prizes. Learn more here!

tumblr_inline_oh83wvKNpG1rr2wit_540.jpg

Finally, we want to remind you that we also have several Black Friday Discounts going on at Green Man Gaming, GOG and Steam, so don’t miss the chance to get Kerbal Space Program at a discounted price!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

4 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

We’re very excited to see what else we can bring to the mix to bring the game into new horizons.

You're tempting the forums by using that phrasing.

6 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Some of them have spent time on locking down and fixing bugs

Would one of those bugs include the seams in the geometry of the geography?

Spoiler

zuW5qb1.png

Im just hoping for a fix to the rover killing ground seams.  Its not that big a deal with the larger wheels, but even then ive had tanks sent airborne on low gravity planets by the stupid bug.

Other then that, looking forward to the collider updates (some of the parts really need this fixed, many engines like the lv-909 is literally using a cylinder collider when it shoukd be more of a cone with 2 flat sides shape).  Hopefully we will get more consistent collisions and hopefully we can also get a fix to the "indestructible" collider bug when a part has multiple colliders and only 1 of them is actually able to resulty in part destruction (fairings are impossible to destroy unless you hit the base part, same with cargo bays and a few other ones).

Good luck with the rest, and while many have lost hope, i still retain a slight glimmer of hope that we will actually get an art pass on at least some of the worst parts that are still using models from like 0.25.  Please dont dissapont the community by shelving the rocket parts revamp, i dont care what the style is (it doesnt have to be porkjet's), but anything better then the lousy 3d models we have now...

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Feels like the notes are getting sparser by the week.

Also still waiting for actual news on parts overhaul.

Wait, you didn't know? 

Just a heads up, I wouldn't be expecting them anytime soon, or at all for that matter.

33 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

What a fast reply.

Also, they haven't even brought it up since Porkjet left, that says it all for me.

Porkjet was their full-time dedicated part-modeler, and he hasn't been replaced yet (if ever).  No news since he left means no part overhaul.  They're redoing some of the colliders on the existing parts instead.

8 minutes ago, Laguna said:

Porkjet was their full-time dedicated part-modeler, and he hasn't been replaced yet (if ever).  No news since he left means no part overhaul.  They're redoing some of the colliders on the existing parts instead.

They have a new person for art. I don't remember her name, though. @Badie would know, though.

51 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

They have a new person for art. I don't remember her name, though. @Badie would know, though.

44 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Her name is Letica

I think Leticia is more into the animations-type art, working with Pablo to do things like the trailers and such, so she's more the replacement for Dan Rosas.

Porkjet is a major talent not easily replaced.

25 minutes ago, Laguna said:

I think Leticia is more into the animations-type art, working with Pablo to do things like the trailers and such, so she's more the replacement for Dan Rosas.

Porkjet is a major talent not easily replaced.

OK, makes sense.

There's nothing on this KSP Weekly ... only 1.2.2 is passed in experimentals ... no bugs details, no dev details, nothing than lots of empty line and "we have a good QA team, we have a good dev team" ... 3 weeks in a row ... We now know that Squad likes self-congratulation.

Read/Write KSP Weekly is now a huge lost of time.

Edited by Malah

14 minutes ago, Malah said:

There's nothing on this KSP Weekly ... only 1.2.2 is passed in experimentals ... no bugs details, no dev details, nothing than lots of empty line and "we have a good QA team, we have a good dev team" ... 3 weeks in a row ... We now know that Squad likes self-congratulation.

Read/Write KSP Weekly is now a huge lost of time.

Yeah so much fluff, waffling and marketing attempts... I've never skipped through Devnotes before, but since the ' great exodus' I've done nothing else :(

This was painful to read.

Just to let's you guys know, the links for Steam and GOG have been switched I.e. GOG links to store.steampowered.com and Steam links to https:// (as in, just the http think, no URL.

EDIT: they're at the bottom of the KSP weekly post

Edited by RA3236

40 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Thank you for the free dev update, Squad. I truly appreciate it.

Seriously, you appreciate these empty messages? I appreciated the old devblogs, when there were still actual devs working on the game.

10 minutes ago, Chris_2 said:

Seriously, you appreciate these empty messages? I appreciated the old devblogs, when there were still actual devs working on the game.

Yes, I do. I'd be pretty bummed if they just stopped them altogether, even though I'd understand it. Heck, I'd have given up by now myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.