Newbie needs advice !

endernite54

Hi ! First, I'd like to say that this is a really great community and I'm happy to take part in it ! 

So I just started playing KSP a couple of days ago, messing around in sandbox mode, I also played in career mode, but it seemed fairly hard up to some point...
My question is : What's the best best way to learn KSP, by playing in sandbox, career ? What "essential tasks, mission should I do, in order to learn the basics ?
What other advice can you give me ?
Also, I'd like to point out that I've been playing Orbiter for a long time and have a fair understanding of orbital mechanics :)

Have a good day, 
Luca S.

Welcome aboard!

I would suggest playing in Science mode to start with, you won't be overwhelmed by having too many parts available, you won't need to worry about money or contracts, and you'll get the hang of the science mechanics.

Assuming you are into rockets rather than planes, I'd suggest the following early goals to develop your skills:

1. Suborbital flight with safe recovery
  2. Orbital flight with safe recovery
  3. Mun flyby
  4. Mun landing*
  5. Rendezvous and docking between two craft
  6. One-way mission to another planet
  7. Return mission to another planet

*Some will suggest that Minmus is an easier target for your first landing than the Mun due to the lower delta-V requirements and lower surface gravity (and those are both valid points), but I would suggest the Mun as it's easier to transfer to and it feels like an incredible achievement to do what Apollo did. Truly one of the best moments in KSP is your first Mun landing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, It's been 3 weeks since I've started playing KSP, I'd like to thank you for your advices. Those are the tasks I completed, they could maybe help other beginners !

3. Mun flyby
  4. Mun landing
  5. Mun rescue mission
  6. Minmus landing (actually, it was easier than a Mun landing)
  7. Rendezvous and docking between two craft
  8. One-way mission to another planet
  9. Return mission to another planet
  10. Keostationary relay probes
  11. Low orbit station 
  12. Docking, sending multiple modules to station

• 2 months later...
On 26/11/2016 at 9:46 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

Welcome aboard!

I would suggest playing in Science mode to start with, you won't be overwhelmed by having too many parts available, you won't need to worry about money or contracts, and you'll get the hang of the science mechanics.

Assuming you are into rockets rather than planes, I'd suggest the following early goals to develop your skills:

3. Mun flyby
  4. Mun landing*
  5. Rendezvous and docking between two craft
  6. One-way mission to another planet
  7. Return mission to another planet

*Some will suggest that Minmus is an easier target for your first landing than the Mun due to the lower delta-V requirements and lower surface gravity (and those are both valid points), but I would suggest the Mun as it's easier to transfer to and it feels like an incredible achievement to do what Apollo did. Truly one of the best moments in KSP is your first Mun landing.

Ive put around 25hrs into this games since i got it maybe 2 week ago and i feel like im still trying to learn it. With that list you posted RedIronCrown, im gonna try to do everything on it.I hope to finaly understand what im doing !lol

On 11/26/2016 at 8:26 AM, endernite54 said:

Hi ! First, I'd like to say that this is a really great community and I'm happy to take part in it ! 

So I just started playing KSP a couple of days ago, messing around in sandbox mode, I also played in career mode, but it seemed fairly hard up to some point...
My question is : What's the best best way to learn KSP, by playing in sandbox, career ? What "essential tasks, mission should I do, in order to learn the basics ?
What other advice can you give me ?
Also, I'd like to point out that I've been playing Orbiter for a long time and have a fair understanding of orbital mechanics :)

Have a good day, 
Luca S.

If you start off with Career, you can learn what each and every part does and what it's used for.

Sandbox can leave you confused, as there is a lot of parts you start off with, and not much teaching to be done.

Science mode is similar to career, but no contracts/reputation to worry about

Hope I helped!

Cheers!

-TheKorbinger