Permissions to KSP Data Folder messed up?

Hello Guys,

I have a strange issue with my KSP Data Folder since a few weeks. I use CKAN since i started modding and always installed and uninstalled mods via it. I never had problems at all. Suddenly, when I want to update a mod in ckan, it states that I don't have access-permission to the folder ckan generated and the whole ksp folder, which also means, that KSP does not even have permission to delete it's own savegames in game and I think it would generate further problems.

Now to the funny part:

I have only one User on my PC and that is my Admin Account. If I startup Windows 10 in normal mode I don't have Access as stated above (CKAN can't delete folders; I can't even manually remove the folder). If I startup Windows 10 in SAFE-Mode, CKAN is working as intended (can delete folders and install new ones; and I can delete folders in ksp install manually). In both cases I ran CKAN as Admin.

So I uninstalled everything in SAFE-Mode (uninstalled via steam, plus deleted files manually).

Restarted Windows 10 in Normal-Mode.

Reinstalled KSP 1.2.1 via Steam.

Downloaded CKAN and installed it into KSP Directory.

Launched CKAN and installed a mod. CKAN worked fine.

To test the access permission I uninstalled a mod via steam and that also worked without a problem. I even could delete it manually. (I have all access permissions)

So i felt, finally everything is working again and installed a bunch of mods. (Tested it again, by uninstalling and updating some mods --> worked fine)

And now to the real funny part :)

After shutting down my Computer and starting it back up the day after, the problem with access permission returned.

What could that be? It's really annoying me that I always have to restart in SAFE-Mode to install/uninstall a mod.

This is why the only time my PC ever turns off, it's when there's a power outage lol

Can you recreate a similar problem with any other game? I'd first suggest you do that, and if it DOES happen, then it is an issue with your PC.

Also, have you tried saving KSP in a different drive? (IE not your main hdd) I personally moved all of my games to an external hard drive because I got tired of windows telling me I need permissions to move a mod to the KSP folder (even tho I too have only 1 acc) lol

@Dark Necrotic it soundslike you have your KSP folder saved in C:\ProgramFiles, or another access-restricted folder in your system drive... ??

If so, its best to have the KSP directory on another partition, or at least at C:\KSP (or a name of your choice)... but the point is, it should be C:\<name of your KSP folder>... NOT a subfolder of any other existing system folder...

Check that and see if that works...

Edited by Stone Blue

24 minutes ago, stickman939 said:

@Stone Blue Lol I think you misunderstood me. I'm personally not having the issue, in fact. I was suggesting the same thing as you :D  Or, almost the same thing anyways

LOL... my bad... I grabbed the wrong person to quote... I hate the question/answer threads, cuz I always never scroll back up far enough to see who the OP actually is... Darn forum layout...
Plus, its very late and I can barely keep my eyes open at this point, so i claim that, too... lol

edit: I fixed the tagging :P

Edited by Stone Blue

17 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Dark Necrotic it soundslike you have your KSP folder saved in C:\ProgramFiles, or another access-restricted folder in your system drive... ??

If so, its best to have the KSP directory on another partition, or at least at C:\KSP (or a name of your choice)... but the point is, it should be C:\<name of your KSP folder>... NOT a subfolder of any other existing system folder...

Thank you for the hint.

I have a "Games" folder on my C: Drive and in there is my steam folder, where some steam games (the ones which "need" ssd) are installed. Somehow only my KSP Installation in the Steam Folder has this issue. I can delete files and folders in all other "steam games" in my games folder on c:.

Just copied the KSP folder from the steam folder to c:\games and now everything is working again.

Windows 10 and it's permission settings... i just don't get it. Or is it steam? Must be some update, because it worked for a long time on my folder setup. Suddenly i don't have permission to a folder i created myself... thank you microsoft! :D

Anyways... Stone Blue thank you for your hint!

• 2 months later...

Had a similar problem.  As it turned out for some reason the Intel graphics driver's runtime component had locked the directory.  This never happened on another Windows 10 system that didn't have that driver on it for me.  If you go download Process Explorer from MS and then use the find function, search for 'kerbal' and see if there is a process locking it.  After I killed the process tree locking it I was able to move\delete folders so I ended up just moving my entire Steam folder to the root of the drive instead of having to deal with this again.

Denken

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2016 at 10:42 PM, Stone Blue said:

And this won't mess up my saves or data by removing it from my steam folder? I just want to be certain.

5 hours ago, JasenKyle said:

And this won't mess up my saves or data by removing it from my steam folder? I just want to be certain.

THAT, I dont know... My advice was for a NON-Steam install... Steam is whole other ball-game, that I dont really know much about, as I get my KSP updates right from the KSP Store...

What I HAVE read from those who have Steam, IIRC, is that when modding KSP, or if you dont like the auto-updates, or if you want to keep the old KSP version when Steam DOES update the game, its best to copy your Steam fresh install, and copy the whole folder to a different folder outside your Steam folder, then play THAT install... But best to get verification from people who actually do use Steam...

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 9:15 PM, denken said:

Had a similar problem.  As it turned out for some reason the Intel graphics driver's runtime component had locked the directory.  This never happened on another Windows 10 system that didn't have that driver on it for me.  If you go download Process Explorer from MS and then use the find function, search for 'kerbal' and see if there is a process locking it.  After I killed the process tree locking it I was able to move\delete folders so I ended up just moving my entire Steam folder to the root of the drive instead of having to deal with this again.

Denken

@denken Thanks for this! I was going mad, but the Process Explorer helped :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.