Owl - Micro Ion Dropship

Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE(S):

https://goo.gl/Vq9Km1

Presenting the Owl, a new ultralight Ion dropship which packs serious performance into a very cute, compact frame!

guXm0ux.jpg

The Owl can be gift wrapped using a Mk2 cargo bay for easy transportation across the Kerbal system.

NjmcasM.jpg

Weighing in at just 1t the craft puts out 7k of Delta V which can be easily extended through the use of drop tanks.

zqGLDfJ.jpg

An integrated cargo port makes for easy surface docking, mounting accessories or even base building on low gravity worlds!

vJDYufL.jpg

While best used on lower gravity worlds the Owl has enough grunt to handle Mun landings.

ualW9Lb.jpg

While it share some of the same design the elements as the Shrimp, the Owl is a much more refined craft then it's predecessor. Shifting most of the mass to the rear of the craft has allowed more space for the pilots seat and made using the top docking port a lot safer! The craft now uses a single RTG which (rather sensibly) is no long used as landing gear!

XhZ4Mei.jpg

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Ion Engine

3 - Deploy Solar Panels

5 - Undock Top Port

ABORT - Undock Cargo Port

PILOT NOTES:

Like all my designs a joystick is recommended.

Due to it's low mass I've dialed the reaction wheel back to 40, this can be increased for extra maneuverability or when hauling cargo.

The craft can operate on the the Mun, Minmus, Ike, Pol, Bop, Gilly and Dres.

The craft isn't designed to operate at full throttle all the time. Instead you've got enough charge to get you safely down to the surface before re-charging the batteries.

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

9 hours ago, Rath said:

I always thought having a little radioactive lump support a lander was a bad idea.

8 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

It's a good incentive for careful landings though! :wink:

Everyone needs a little motivation, especially when it comes to good landings. This is when the RTGs come in.

Why are your designs so God darn cute?! I want one!!

::EDIT:: Now a days, only thing I tend to do with Ion Engines is stick them on to space planes that are way too big for them to have any practical use...

15241743_10154554336041815_4235876307386

15171107_10154554336046815_5125708789981

At least they look cool (in my humble opinion).

Edited by Speed_Kerman

37 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Its soooo CUTE!

Also in the last picture, how'd you get the craft together without anything connecting them..?

I saved one of the vessels as a sub-assembly and attached it to the docking port of the second craft. Using Editor Extensions means there's no offset limit so you can position things where you like. :wink:

Cupcake...

• 4 months later...
On 2016-11-27 at 0:49 AM, Cupcake... said:

CRAFT FILE(S):

https://goo.gl/Vq9Km1

Presenting the Owl, a new ultralight Ion dropship which packs serious performance into a very cute, compact frame!

guXm0ux.jpg

The Owl can be gift wrapped using a Mk2 cargo bay for easy transportation across the Kerbal system.

NjmcasM.jpg

Weighing in at just 1t the craft puts out 7k of Delta V which can be easily extended through the use of drop tanks.

zqGLDfJ.jpg

An integrated cargo port makes for easy surface docking, mounting accessories or even base building on low gravity worlds!

vJDYufL.jpg

While best used on lower gravity worlds the Owl has enough grunt to handle Mun landings.

ualW9Lb.jpg

While it share some of the same design the elements as the Shrimp, the Owl is a much more refined craft then it's predecessor. Shifting most of the mass to the rear of the craft has allowed more space for the pilots seat and made using the top docking port a lot safer! The craft now uses a single RTG which (rather sensibly) is no long used as landing gear!

XhZ4Mei.jpg

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Ion Engine

3 - Deploy Solar Panels

5 - Undock Top Port

ABORT - Undock Cargo Port

PILOT NOTES:

Like all my designs a joystick is recommended.

Due to it's low mass I've dialed the reaction wheel back to 40, this can be increased for extra maneuverability or when hauling cargo.

The craft can operate on the the Mun, Minmus, Ike, Pol, Bop, Gilly and Dres.

The craft isn't designed to operate at full throttle all the time. Instead you've got enough charge to get you safely down to the surface before re-charging the batteries.

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Oh my gosh it is so adorable :o 

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.