What do YOU call Jool's innermost moon--you know, the one with the ocean?

Mister Dilsby

Kerbfleet: A Joolian Pronunciation Guide  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Laythe"?

• Lay-Thee (same as two words from an Emily Dickinson poem)--like Val
    • Lathe (one syllable, same as the tool)--like Dilsby
    • Lay-thuh (possibly with a bit of a twang)--like Melbe
    • La thé (a nice hot beverage, served avec lait, perhaps?)--like Clauselle
    • Лайтэ (...um, I don't know how to read this properly, but I suppose this one would be)--like Nimzo
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  2. 2. Okay, how about "Vall"?

• Val (short, like the first syllable in 'Valentina')
    • Vall (rhymes with 'hall')
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  3. 3. Hmmm... "Pol"?

• Like the first syllable of "pollen"
    • Like the first syllable of "Poland"

When I see "Laythe" in English, my brain attaches it to lathe, a mono-syllablic word. For Лайтэ, on the otherhand, тэ is definitly its own syllable

That's the thing - depending on what language I vocalize it in, the sounding is really different (on the other hand, even simple names like Kerbin get different syllables accentuated in different languages).

And here's the peril of actually using 3 languages - when not specifically vocalizing the text in one particular language (and quick reading is one of the cases of converting words almost straight to meaning without emphasizing the sound) I often have different words in one thought in different languages (or with different accents)... And sometimes my accent gets briefly stuck somewhere in between.

I'm not really sure if I pronounce correctly in english so better I explain myself. I say laite, val, pol, just as is spoken in Spanish, after all this is a game from mexico :P the only doubt is that there isn't "th" in spanish but supposedly you don't pronounce the "h" anyway.

Somewhat oftopic, isn't there any writing normalization initiative in english linguists? Because I think is time... If you know one language you should be able to pronounce/write every word of them even if is the first time you read/hear it.

12 minutes ago, kunok said:

Somewhat oftopic, isn't there any writing normalization initiative in english linguists?

George Orwell was a large proponent of such back in the 40s, before he made a pretty quick about-face. (See: Basic English.) He realized how terribly wrong such a project could go and wrote a rather nice book about it. And a doubleplusgood paper too.

I think the fallout from both has poisoned the well of cleaning up English ever since. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

14 minutes ago, kunok said:

Somewhat oftopic, isn't there any writing normalization initiative in english linguists? 

Nope. We can't even decide among ourselves how things should be spelled let alone pronounced. Some favour one spelling, while others favor another. And then we have the debates involving how things are spelled now as opposed to the way they used to be spelt. And if you understand that all right, then consider the innumerable alternate spellings that were once errors but, through frequent use, are now alright for all but the most formal situations.

14 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

George Orwell was a large proponent of such back in the 40s, before he made a pretty quick about-face. (See: Basic English.) He realized how terribly wrong such a project could go and wrote a rather nice book about it too. 

Not simplifying the language, it isn't the same. Just make a coherent pronunciation/writing, update the orthographic/pronunciation rules, most european languages did several times that, not changing even one word definition.

Examples https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_orthography_reform_of_1996

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Nope. We can't even decide among ourselves how things should be spelled let alone pronounced. Some favour one spelling, while others favor another. And then we have the debates involving how things are spelled now as opposed to the way they used to be spelt. And if you understand that all right, then consider the innumerable alternate spellings that were once errors but, through frequent use, are now alright for all but the most formal situations.

That problem happened in every single language, someone should start. If portuguese speakers have been able to reunify the grammar why shouldn't be able english? Or do different dialects, but normalize it.

Edited by kunok

I'm continental European, so I use flat, open vowels by default, in contrast to native English speakers. Especially when I've never heard a word pronounced before.

This makes my "Vall" sport the same "a" as in "father", not the one in "hall". But because it's a double L, it still is a bit alike the second option in the poll above - a short vowel followed by a strong consonant.

It should be noted that Kerbals speak Spanish (if backwards), and Spanish definitely has a strong presence of flat, open vowels. So in my mind, this pronunciation is perfectly believable as something the Kerbals themselves would use. :)

19 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Reminds me of an old Scott Manley episode, pronouncing "kethane" in interesting ways.

Keh-thane, key-thane, and (my favorite) keh-thahn-ee.

Well, that's definitely was supposed to be like methane, just with k.
Doesn't fix the problem of different pronunciation in different languages, though.

As for the Лайтэ variant, it sounds like latte, just with first t replaced by y, making the first syllable Lay- sound about like li- in light or like
Well, that's as good as I could explain it.

but when I'm saying Laythe in English it really sounds like lathe (even if I really wasn't familiar with this word in English until this discussion)

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

That post is a work of art.

Happy landings!

27 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Well, that's definitely was supposed to be like methane, just with k.

Well yeah, but I've heard professionals say both meh-thane and mee-thane. (That last one is just silly, sort of the way shoppers at a certain US big-box store put on airs and call it "Targét")

I'm sure we English speakers have half a dozen different ways to pronounce "See-Aitch-Four", if you want to get technical :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Some favour one spelling, while others favor another. And then we have the debates involving how things are spelled now as opposed to the way they used to be spelt. And if you understand that all right, then consider the innumerable alternate spellings that were once errors but, through frequent use, are now alright for all but the most formal situations.

(I'm talking about)

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Some favour one spelling, while others favor another. And then we have the debates involving how things are spelled now as opposed to the way they used to be spelt. And if you understand that all right, then consider the innumerable alternate spellings that were once errors but, through frequent use, are now alright for all but the most formal situations.

...yeah, I see what you did there!

Repliked.

(later)

Edited to make it less long... in the original version, I used different quotes for each word. Eeughhh!

Edited by greenTurtle1134
See "(later)"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.