Broken avatars (Solved)

Gaarst

Edit: a failed update caused the loss of some avatars uploaded in the end of November, if you're having this problem, simply re-uploading your avatar should fix it.

(Kudos to @kunok for making me notice this)

Some users' avatars seem to be broken, only displaying as a transparent background with the typical "missing image" symbol of your browser.

It seems to happen regardless of the browser (noticed on Chrome, Edge and Firefox) but not for everyone. While some people cannot see my avatar, I and other users can; but I can't see the avatar of some people. I don't think the problem comes from my image itself since it is an ordinary .jpg.

Strangely enough, it seems to only happen to users that have changed their avatar in November (I have yet to see a counter-example), but not everyone that did so is affected.

If anyone has got more on this, please comment.

Pinging @Red Iron Crown since I don't know who is in charge of the forum software.

Edited by Gaarst

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I can see your avatar, @Gaarst. Do you happen to recall any of the users so affected so we can take a look?

The two mentioned by JKerman above, and I remember not seeing ruinzv2's avatar (was in the recent activity at the time). More generally, when going to advanced search and filtering members that joined less than one month ago, I can see the default avatar normally, but I can't see about half of these who have "proper" avatars.

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Pardon the pings, I want to get links to the profiles of the affected users in one place:

[removed pings]

It seems to be intermittent for me.

Do you need more names? I can give a lot of them.

When you go to a user's profile, and hover over their avatar, the link to the avatar is something of the form: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/uploads/monthly_##_2016/... All the users that are affected that I've seen so far had "monthly_11_2016" in this field, indicating they uploaded the image in November. Maybe there was a forum or server change in the last month which messed things up?

I do see that all of us being tagged have our images accessed through forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/uploads/monthly_2016_11/capture.jpg/encodedjunk

Working images are in other directories with other dates associated.

I'm new so my profile and photo were just added, and I'm assuming that the others probably updated their images recently and we're all in that same folder now? @Gaarst sound about right?

Edit: PS. I also can not see the avatars for the other tagged profiles, though I see my own just fine. This is also why i think it may be a permissions mix up.

Edited by ruinzv2

Hi folks. Yes there was an upgrade attempted on the forum software that failed.
It seems as a result of this some profile pics and attachments have been lost for some users.
Most likely affected pictures would be only those in the past week or two. Those affected will have to re-import their avatar picture as there is no way to recover them.
The failed upgrade is being investigated and won't be attempted again until the cause is found, identified and fixed.
Sorry for the inconvience caused.

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Hi folks. Yes there was an upgrade attempted on the forum software that failed.
It seems as a result of this some profile pics and attachments have been lost for some users.
Most likely affected pictures would be only those in the past week or two. Those affected will have to re-import their avatar picture as there is no way to recover them.
The failed upgrade is being investigated and won't be attempted again until the cause is found, identified and fixed.
Sorry for the inconvience caused.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've re-uploaded my profile pic, can people still not see it?

7 hours ago, ruinzv2 said:

I do see that all of us being tagged have our images accessed through forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/uploads/monthly_2016_11/capture.jpg/encodedjunk

Working images are in other directories with other dates associated.

I'm new so my profile and photo were just added, and I'm assuming that the others probably updated their images recently and we're all in that same folder now? @Gaarst sound about right?

Yeah, I've assumed that anyone who uploaded an avatar in the last month could affected, meaning either because you're new, or just because you changed it (as I did).

15 minutes ago, V7 Aerospace said:

Is mine working now?

Aye.

From what @JPLRepo said, I understood that even if the update is done successfully, the avatars will not be recovered right? Maybe a PSA could be written to tell people why they can't see theirs and what to do to fix them. I've edited the topic to show the solution, but a post by a moderator might have more visibility.

Edited by Gaarst

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.