Any cool rover designs?

im planning to send (another) unmanned rover to duna. this time im planning to launch a bit bigger one than last time. that first mission was a partial failure-rover was so slow it took it minutes to travel 100m and it was extremelly unstable. by now i cant even control (due to communication networks) it and it has barelly any science to collect (im playing in sandbox but science data like pressure, g force and temparatures is still interesting to a nerd like me). 

ill just get to the point: i need a new rover but i have no idea where to start and how it should look like. it would be great if someone could share his .craft file. i want  this rover to be able to travel at relatively high speeds (15-20m/s), have some science onboard and overall just look cool. i also want it to be unmanned. im ok with using any mods (i already have 30+ of them). if u r sharing .craft file just plz tell me which mods did u use.

thanks for sharing and helping me (and the others)!

My last design is pretty good, I might improve some things but the idea behid it is very usefull for stability. If you are using Infernal Robotics, use the washing docking free rotation tool to create a suspension mechanism. This way when you pass over a non flat terrain all your wheels touch the ground and you get a more stable rover overall... Look at this video minute 15:00 and use the idea but in a larger scale. Just be sure to spreade wider arms connected to the washing docking free so it doesn't rotate more than neccesarily and use struts to hold it rigid for transporting to another world, then with kis/kas you can get ridd of them. I recently made a really good rover using this idea, but really bigger than the video, and weighting like 10 tons. But the weight is really worth it beause then it makes it more stable. Also, building is fun, make use of tips like mine but don't miss the building as it is so meaningfull having your own designs in another planet and working!
This is my first contribution to the forum as I recently registered. 

Edited by Agustin

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

He want's an un-manned one dude. I was about to post a load of pics but then read that bit of the OP.

@Majorjim! Most every Rover I build has the option of man or un-manned, this one has a Rovemate.....mate! :)

Edited by Castille7

Just now, Azimech said:

Curiosity ... hardly exciting or entertaining. If I'd know the OP's available tech tree I'd probably be able to cook something hot.

That was just an example of an unmanned science probe.  Plus it was in my head as I have just finished mine and am about to release it. I assure you it's very 'exciting' and 'entertaining'. :P

Also in the post he said he plays sandbox so no tech tree.

Edited by Majorjim!

I have something with the impact tolerance of a Volvo in Roverland, this thing is meant for 6 kerbals but hey ... it already has a probe core so, unmanned ;-)

L62swlR.png

Download link: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Lowell-Rosalie

Forgot: it's stock and has most ... if not all science instruments on board. On worlds without atmo it should be able to reach 40 m/s.

Edited by Azimech

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

I have something with the impact tolerance of a Volvo in Roverland, this thing is meant for 6 kerbals but hey ... it already has a probe core so, unmanned ;-)

L62swlR.png

Download link: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Lowell-Rosalie

Forgot: it's stock and has most ... if not all science instruments on board. On worlds without atmo it should be able to reach 40 m/s.

that looks amazing... how much time did u spend making it? 5 hours? 10 hours?

12 hours ago, Castille7 said:

You can get some ideas from one of mind

Rover 7

https://kerbalx.com/Castille7/Rover-7

ive seen this rover a while ago and tried to recreate it. wasnt very sucesful. glad to finally find the .craft file

10 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

with this one it doesnt really matter. i willl just remove seats and add a probe

OK thank you for clearing that up! The speed you requested is reasonable and attainable so most designs should work ok. I have a few new-er rover designs you can get ideas from.

My two kerbal RAGE buggy (The one shown in the pics had the old defunct ant engine suspension, since removed from the one in the link):

RzrDSOu.png

KcG1sFw.png

RAGE buggy KerbalX download: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/MJs-RAGE-buggy

And my 8 Kerbal 'Offworld' rover:

0CEYxMN.jpg

3ZiwEhf.jpg

KerbalX download: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/Duna-Buggy-MJ

I have made a huge number of rovers that are now lost or buried in my huge pile of old KSP saves.. Here are a few more pics of older rovers for inspiration:

Spoiler

r2t64g.jpg

160ED6E6F2E30126049F3E17E9679D99519C95E7

4vsi1k.jpg

Rover with detachable science trailer:

AsBSi4j.jpg

FCqDmGA.jpg

HNPi39w.png

raLsxfK.png

Very old batman tumbler rover!

oX4lGvT.jpg

ojxZQXI.jpg

Land rover, also old

wMrKLOX.jpg

Yg0TK5p.jpg

LOL, just a few of my rovers!

Edited by Majorjim!

10 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

that looks amazing... how much time did u spend making it? 5 hours? 10 hours?

Good question ... I never keep track of those things.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

OK thank you for clearing that up! The speed you requested is reasonable and attainable so most designs should work ok. I have a few new-er rover designs you can get ideas from.

My two kerbal RAGE buggy:

RzrDSOu.png

KcG1sFw.png

RAGE buggy KerbalX download: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/MJs-RAGE-buggy

And my 8 Kerbal 'Offworld' rover:

0CEYxMN.jpg

3ZiwEhf.jpg

KerbalX download: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/Duna-Buggy-MJ

I have made a huge number of rovers that are now lost or buried in my huge pile of old KSP saves.. Here are a few more pics of older rovers for inspiration:

Hide contents

r2t64g.jpg

160ED6E6F2E30126049F3E17E9679D99519C95E7

4vsi1k.jpg

Rover with detachable science trailer:

AsBSi4j.jpg

FCqDmGA.jpg

HNPi39w.png

raLsxfK.png

Very old batman tumbler rover!

oX4lGvT.jpg

ojxZQXI.jpg

Land rover, also old

wMrKLOX.jpg

Yg0TK5p.jpg

LOL, just a few of my rovers!

Very impressive! Nice to see those again!

SXT's little trucky.

ggZ6cfZ.png

Circumnavigation of Duna should be enough of testimony of quality. 17m/s at 3x phys-warp is a safe cruising speed on Duna. You can go even 30m/s on a relatively flat terrain at 1x, but it's risky.

The MK2 parts were tweakscaled to 1m 'diameter'. You may also use the larger version, 2x as wide. Other than SXT and Tweakscale, the whole 'framework' is stock, but the cargo bay is brimming with various mod-derived payload.

12 hours ago, Sharpy said:

SXT's little trucky.

(image)

Circumnavigation of Duna should be enough of testimony of quality. 17m/s at 3x phys-warp is a safe cruising speed on Duna. You can go even 30m/s on a relatively flat terrain at 1x, but it's risky.

The MK2 parts were tweakscaled to 1m 'diameter'. You may also use the larger version, 2x as wide. Other than SXT and Tweakscale, the whole 'framework' is stock, but the cargo bay is brimming with various mod-derived payload.

Heh, there's Rarity on the bottom left. Just noticed that now. :P

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.