KSP Weekly: Jeb’s adventures around the world and more!

SQUAD

Thanks for clearing up the current status of the part revamp!

Also, please remember to include the German keyboard layout's inherent +2 bonus to rocket engineering in the forthcoming update. :wink:

2 hours ago, Homedawgian said:

And what about the console update?

I think what you consoleros could really use best is a sort-of-devblog, or at least newsfeed, directly from Flying Tiger Entertainment themselves. Sadly they don't even seem to be using their social media feeds more than once per two months or so...

2 hours ago, Homedawgian said:

And what about the console update?

In a rush to cut costs Squad management chose a very questionable publisher for the console release. It backfired badly, but moneys were spent. Squad has nothing but to believe in FlyingTigerEntertainment doing their job. The contract cancellation fees and other technical stuff don't let the Squad choose another publisher.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Some interesting findings have been that,  the UK ‘Tea’ key is working but the crumpet key is missing, all four X’s on the Australian layout are present, and the Canadian layout correctly swaps the R and H keys. The US layout now types ‘#1’ with every press, the Latin American layout has beaten everyone at office football, and tests of the Dvorak layouts efficiency in KSP have been inconclusive.

If there was the list of languages for translation, I could find it hilarious...

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Despite the change in priorities, this doesn’t mean that we will put this project aside indefinitely, we may continue porkjet’s work in future installments, but for the time being it is not within our immediate work plans.

13 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Amazing how easy honesty is. 

That... isn't really a thing you can call "honesty." It says they are NOT putting it aside indefinitely, when what they then say they are doing is exactly the definition of putting it aside indefinitely.

10 hours ago, Enceos said:

The "Shmelta-V talk" has been very hot in the 1.1 and 1.2 development threads, conclusion is "if one can come up with a simple, very efficient, not buggy code to calculate Delta-V, SQUAD devs will definitely take a look at it". KER and MechJeb delta-v calculations are very bulky and still have bugs.

KerbalEDU is considered good enough to teach kids about rocket science, and it uses KER's dV calculator.

5 hours ago, Enceos said:

In a rush to cut costs Squad management chose a very questionable publisher for the console release. It backfired badly, but moneys were spent. Squad has nothing but to believe in FlyingTigerEntertainment doing their job. The contract cancellation fees and other technical stuff don't let the Squad choose another publisher.

I do so enjoy it when people post their speculations as if they are fact. You don't have any information at all to support these claims. 

23 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

6 hours ago, Enceos said:

I do so enjoy it when people post their speculations as if they are fact. You don't have any information at all to support these claims. 

Well, with all due respect, I'd say he's made a fair deduction based on the very little information that Squad has made available. Do you have any information to support the contrary?

11 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Well, with all due respect, I'd say he's made a fair deduction based on the very little information that Squad has made available. Do you have any information to support the contrary?

I have no information to share either way. My point was that posting these deductions and speculations as if they are established fact is not helpful at all. 

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I have no information to share either way. My point was that posting these deductions and speculations as if they are established fact is not helpful at all. 

Agreed. It could be construed as inflammatory. Maybe if Squad were more transparent about the console versions then these kind of speculations wouldn't be an issue.

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Also, please remember to include the German keyboard layout's inherent +2 bonus to rocket engineering in the forthcoming update.

That bonus has been split between the US and Russian layouts.

I cant say im very happy with the graphics revamp being shelves, but at least we all know that its pretty much dead and we need to stick to mods to get half decent looking anything in the game.

Sadly that means that one of 4 things i actually care about isnt going to make it.  Hopefully the devs consider EVE/scatterer, KIS, or the robotics mod since those are the only other mods i actually care for these days.  KIS is fairly self explanatory, the ability to assemble/dissasemble/repair a vessel when you are outside of the KSC is just so useful to have, and its more immersive/kerbal to build stuff out of a wrecked ship's leftovers.  The robotics mod, now that its essential, but it is one of very few mods that opens up many things that just cannot exist without it (yeah im looking at you mech suits and things like legged rovers, not to mention much easier to make tank turrets/bearings).  And well, noone can ignore how much prettier the game looks with visual mods liek EVE installed.  Its not a gameplay thing, but i think im not alone when i say that KSP is seriously lacking in the visual department compared to most games of the day.  Its ok with mods, but it would be much better if it was made stock because then everything could be optimized properly and it wouldnt lag to death like when you install scatterer and run EVE clouds ontop of it.

Yeah im probably the minority, but i feel that in terms of gameplay and parts we have everything to make airplanes and rockets (or if you are me: capital ships, starfighters, dropships, tanks, APCs, bunkers, ect) and pretty much anything else we want to without using mod parts.  Same with gameplay elements, sure we can add more realistic things like life support (which ill disable anyways as i dont like the concept of a time limiting mechanic which has no place in a sci-fi game where kerbals dont even need to eat since they are like plants and all), or other stuff like improved career gameplay, but at least in my opinion they arent exactly very important to add (i dont play career or science mode so at least for me any dev effort spent there is a waste of time).  Point is, there isnt all that much beyond graphics that i can say is universally desired in the community, but again, im just that, minority...

Negativity aside, at least i can be happy for bugfixes and potentially performance improvements, as those have been the only 2 things ive gotten out of the last year or 2 of updates.

Porkjet's rocket parts were sorely needed.  The game is an inconsistent mishmash of several artists' work.   It my opinion, it was a really terrible idea to shelf it indefinitely.   I wont be buying any mechandise in the future so as to voice my opinion on KSP's recent direction with my wallet.  

18 hours ago, SQUAD said:

improved colliders

This could mean anything though. Can anyone clear up what the end goal is? By 'improved' do you mean simplified colliders to improve performance or more detailed colliders to improve part on part interactions for bearings/hinges ect? Or a mixture of both?

And thanks for the updates.

<sets the pitchfork down><douses the torch> 

Finally! Finally the porkjet revamp is addressed. I am fine with other bits and bobs taking the stage first, but, moreover i am overjoyed to see that they will be gotten to at some point. 

18 hours ago, Enceos said:

The "Shmelta-V talk" has been very hot in the 1.1 and 1.2 development threads, conclusion is "if one can come up with a simple, very efficient, not buggy code to calculate Delta-V, SQUAD devs will definitely take a look at it". KER and MechJeb delta-v calculations are very bulky and still have bugs.

Because Squad would never ever implement a feature ever so slightly bugged... Wheels anyone?

20 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Because Squad would never ever implement a feature ever so slightly bugged... Wheels anyone?

They found a way to fix them in the end. The Delta-V formula needs to account for offset thrust, interstage ingnition, different burn times, ISP mix, give aero calculations for planes e.t.c. to be viable for implementation into the stock game. People think that ΔV = Isp*Ln(m0/mf), but that works only for the simplest rockets.

47 minutes ago, Enceos said:

They found a way to fix them in the end.

It took them 2 big releases (each with two pre-releases) and several patches to get it right. And even then, it's far from perfect.

The Delta-V formula needs to account for offset thrust, interstage ingnition, different burn times, ISP mix, give aero calculations for planes e.t.c. to be viable for implementation into the stock game. People think that ΔV = Isp*Ln(m0/mf), but that works only for the simplest rockets.

I use KER to design my crafts and I have no problem whatsoever. It's because a dV readout is a tool: it doesn't make magic, but if you know how to use it it'll do its job; on the other hand if you don't know its limitations then obviously it won't work.

I don't expect KER or a stock dV readout to give me the accurate dV for every possible design, as nonsensical as possible, and I'm doing just fine. Learning what is dV and how to use and calculate it is part of the standard KSP learning process, anyone able to send something into orbit should be capable of interpreting a dV readout.

Welp, I'm out for awhile. I'll check back periodically but it seems to me based on recent developments and these cheesy updates that this game is dead in the water. Loved the game. Love the respect and professionalism of the community. Had fun. Maybe another publisher with better resources can one day scratch the itch that KSP did for me so well. 1000+ hours worth of scratching. Farewell.

8 minutes ago, Bigbootie said:

Welp, I'm out for awhile. I'll check back periodically but it seems to me based on recent developments and these cheesy updates that this game is dead in the water. Loved the game. Love the respect and professionalism of the community. Had fun. Maybe another publisher with better resources can one day scratch the itch that KSP did for me so well. 1000+ hours worth of scratching. Farewell.

It isn't over yet but I'm not feeling very optimistic either. I'd keep your hopes up and maybe 1.2.2 and 1.3 will change our minds.

56 minutes ago, Bigbootie said:

Really?  You're going to stop playing a game you enjoy because development may or may not be going down hill?  The game hasn't changed, the development team has.  Pick a version you like, and stick with it.  I've been on 1.0.4 for a long time, and have every intention of creating my as-close-to-perfect modded KSP 1.2.2 and sticking with that for the foreseeable future.  Whatever the devs do after that really has no effect on my enjoyment of KSP.

4 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Wheels weren't introduced bugged. Well, they weren't great but they weren't like they are now since the U5 upgrade. Having something that's working become broken is very different from introducing something broken to the game.

And as much as I love my dV readouts, I think "not having dV readouts at all" isn't nearly as game breaking as "not having wheels at all."

2 hours ago, Bigbootie said:

I hope you don't come to equally hate the next game that takes 1000+ hours of your spare time.

I feel an improvement over previous posts ... I wasn't speedreading 80% of the time. In other words: while it can be improved some more, I admire and respect the growth you gals & guys are going through; not surprisingly most KSP users are different compared with the average gamer.

I still think there is a lot of text and not much content. Buuuuut.... 1.2.1 and soon 1.2.2 are the best KSP versions yet, so I won't complain. But I will express a wish here (since it is almost Christmas...):

Dear @SQUAD, I would greatly appreciate, if at one stage, you could at least tease, hint at or maybe even give a nonbinding roadmap at what the next KSP version will be about. As was expressed also in this thread, there are still quite a few loose ends in this awesome game. Sure I can install Ven's stock revamp and be done with mixed and (un-) matched rocket parts. Sure I can install Mechjeb and have my dV-read out (and other vital info). But it would be sooooo awesome, if these would be adressed (amongst other things).

And tell you what: I'd rather buy a third copy of KSP than any number of plushies and stuff to honor the work you are putting into this! Having said that, KSP is quickly moving to the point of the game I played for the longest period at a time! So kudos for that!

But, please think about my small wish above. I think it would help the community!

What he said ^ ... come on ... what's your market, who cares for plushies? We already have heaps from our momma, we cry every weekend in her lap because every woman eventually walks out because of our KSP addiction. I mean seriously ... haven't you done. Enough?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.