Dock Two Lander Cans In Kerbin Orbit With No RCS

tosha

In my career mode, I recently accepted a contract to build a space station. The launch of the first module went without a hitch, but I was so hasty on the second ( I just used the same spacecraft, but with another cockpit to fulfill the crew capacity requirement) that I forgot to add RCS thrusters. After pushing my close approach to .3 kilometers, when I started killing relative velocity, I realized "uh-oh, I forgot the RCS bits and pieces". I however succeed in docking through careful prograde and retrograde burns, along with thrusting toward and away from the target. I want you to do something similar.

Here are the requirements.

1. The first module must have at least one mk1 lander can, an antenna, and power generation.

2. Neither the first, nor the second module may have ANY form of RCS thruster (0-10 engine is allowed however)

3: Post a picture of the ship on the launchpad, three pictures of the rendezvous procedure, one from map view showing close approach arrows, and a picture of the docked spacecraft. A video is okay too.

Edited by tosha

Having just witnessed some shenanigans in another challenge, I can just see someone using an array of either O-10s or Twitch engines pointed in different directions, and using action groups to emulate RCS behaviour. That may be another case of Too Much Time On My Hands though.

That aside, I can see careful use of SAS target tracking helping out a lot in a no-RCS scenario. Sounds like fun.

And if someone hasn't told you already, Good Day and welcome to the KSP Forums!

--

Can I just submit any of the videos I've made in the past several years in which I dock 2 small ships together?

I don't even think about RCS until I'm docking two things that are each bigger than an orange tank. And usually I think "Naaw I still don't need RCS for this."

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Can I just submit any of the videos I've made in the past several years in which I dock 2 small ships together?

I don't even think about RCS until I'm docking two things that are each bigger than an orange tank. And usually I think "Naaw I still don't need RCS for this."

Feel free to submit past videos

13 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Having just witnessed some shenanigans in another challenge, I can just see someone using an array of either O-10s or Twitch engines pointed in different directions, and using action groups to emulate RCS behaviour. That may be another case of Too Much Time On My Hands though.

That aside, I can see careful use of SAS target tracking helping out a lot in a no-RCS scenario. Sounds like fun.

And if someone hasn't told you already, Good Day and welcome to the KSP Forums!

--

Thank you for the welcome, I didn't think that anybody would want to waste time with action groups and radial engines, as once you dock without RCS once, It becomes easy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.