My Wi-Fi in my room does not work and i think its time to find out why.

NSEP

Almost exactly 2 weeks ago, my Wi-Fi connection in my room shut down somehow. I was fine with it and i still am, but it would be nice to fix it right now.

My room is at the top of my house, and its the only room there. My Wi-Fi modem on the other hand is at the first floor.

Can i get halp? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Almost exactly 2 weeks ago, my Wi-Fi connection in my room shut down somehow. I was fine with it and i still am, but it would be nice to fix it right now.

My room is at the top of my house, and its the only room there. My Wi-Fi modem on the other hand is at the first floor.

Can i get halp? Thanks.

Can you move the modem closer? If the signal works in your room when you move it closer then it's possible that your modem's antenna has suffered from RUD. If not, then someone has set up a signal blocking network in your room without noticing. That's all I can think of. 

5 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Can you move the modem closer? If the signal works in your room when you move it closer then it's possible that your modem's antenna has suffered from RUD. If not, then someone has set up a signal blocking network in your room without noticing. That's all I can think of. 

I might give that a try. And a signal blocking network could be plausible, there are new people living right next to me so, maybe.

First you'll need to figure out WHY your connection was lost.

Do you still have a connection with other devices? Do you have a connection with the same device in another location? Has the furniture been move on the floors between you and the modem? You'll have to methodically eliminate possibilities.

You say you have new neighbours. An active signal blocking could be a possibility but I doubt they would deliberately block your network. More likely they have some equipment that disrupts it.
Another not unlikely scenario: If your modem/router was not properly secured they may have hi-jacked it.

9 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

First you'll need to figure out WHY your connection was lost.

Do you still have a connection with other devices? Do you have a connection with the same device in another location? Has the furniture been move on the floors between you and the modem? You'll have to methodically eliminate possibilities.

You say you have new neighbours. An active signal blocking could be a possibility but I doubt they would deliberately block your network. More likely they have some equipment that disrupts it.
Another not unlikely scenario: If your modem/router was not properly secured they may have hi-jacked it.

The Wi-Fi connection does not work on any of my devices in my room only, but when i get downstairs 1 floor, it works on the same device again. And some time ago, someone might have moved a huge piece of decoration that was right next to a modem like thing, that probably reflected the Wi-Fi connection to my room somehow. Im not sure about that though, is that even possible?

21 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The Wi-Fi connection does not work on any of my devices in my room only, but when i get downstairs 1 floor, it works on the same device again. And some time ago, someone might have moved a huge piece of decoration that was right next to a modem like thing, that probably reflected the Wi-Fi connection to my room somehow. Im not sure about that though, is that even possible?

OK. So we can rule out that any of your devices are at fault. Your computer, phone and router/modem all still work. And since you do have a connection on another floor your router/modem has not been hi-jacked.
Only thing left is that there must have changed something between you and the router. Either something that boosted the signal and has now been removed. Or something that is added and is now blocking the signal. Any object with a large enough electromagnetic footprint could in theory block or disrupt a signal. Or perhaps your new neighbours have set up their own network on a frequency that disrupt yours. Either way, best option is to just ring the doorbell and ask. If you stay polite and reasonable they most likely will do the same.

If all else fails try googling 'boost wifi'. Plenty of tips and tricks out there to improve your network.

4 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again? No, seriously?

I doubt that will help since he does have a connection on another floor. If the modem needed a hard reset it would not make a connection anywhere.
But since it is simple, easy, quick and free it would not hurt. And who knows, it might help.

Edited by Tex_NL

6 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Or perhaps your new neighbours have set up their own network on a frequency that disrupt yours.

This is the first thing I thought of, mostly because it happened to me. I ran some software on my computer that scanned all wifi bands and suggested which one I use. I set the router to that band and have never had a problem since.

Sadly I have no idea what that software was named, as this was like 5+ years ago.

32 minutes ago, NSEP said:

What? The modem? No. I might give that a try!

That is the very first thing to try with pretty much any problem. Game not running properly? Reboot! No internet connection? Reboot? Computer burning and setting house alight? Have the fire department reboot!

Be sure to reboot all devices involved, not just the router, AP or modem.

31 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

OK. So we can rule out that any of your devices are at fault. Your computer, phone and router/modem all still work.

[...]

I doubt that will help since he does have a connection on another floor. If the modem needed a hard reset it would not make a connection anywhere.
But since it is simple, easy, quick and free it would not hurt. And who knows, it might help.

Though I understand your reasoning, you are moving a bit too quickly. Computers are complicated machines, up to the point that interactions between various parts can appear black magic. Things being unlikely is no reason for them not to happen. I have seen internet connections fail in various whole and partial ways due to (generally cheap) routers needing a reboot or other hardware acting up. Just yesterday my TV did this magic thing where it faded(!) frames together after being turned on for too long. There is no obvious or even far fetched technical explanation why that even should be possible and it never did it before, yet it happened.

You know what they say about assumptions :) Glossing over something simple might literally cost you days.

30 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I poked a little bit and I'm almost positive I used WiFi Analyzer for Android and I probably did so on my Droid 1 (physical keyboard, how I miss thee). Though anything on this page here should do the trick.

It is good to note that setting a certain channel can backfire too. Most routers automatically switch to an appropriate channel. If you set your channel yourself, you might be stuck with something suboptimal without even knowing it. If your connection drops completely you will know, but if it works but not quite you might have issues without even knowing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.