Small stack-mounted drogue chute?

Streetwind

Most of the time, during reentry, I want just a little bit of high altitude slowing, but a lot of final descent slowing. That means I want a single drogue chute, and a pair of main chutes. Unfortunately, KSP gives me the parts to mount one main chute and two drogue chutes instead.

So I'm looking for a mod that adds a small, stack-mounted drogue in the same size class as the standard Mk16 main chute. I mean, I could just ModuleManager myself a copy of that one and tweak the stats, but not only would the part itself look identical to the source part, but the canopy as well. A drogue chute with the canopy of a main chute? That won't do.

Any suggestions for what I could use? :)

Edited by Streetwind

RealChute has:

A nosecone parachute

A double-nosecone parachute (with space for drogue + main)

A stack-mounted double parachute

A radial chute.

All of these can be configured as drogue, main, or drag, and can be tweaked to give you exactly as much parachute as you want*.

*Disclaimer: this is not always the amount of parachute you need: see, for example, hitting the Duna highlands at 16 m/sec because the parachutes were configured for 5 m/sec at 0 altitude.

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Not really my favorite solution. I want to assign it a specific tech tree position. Also, I don't use TweakScale normally, so I'd have to install the mod for just one single part...

A dedicated part would serve my purposes much better.

Then you could just make a copy of the cfg and change the part name and a couple of things and use rescale = *  what ever size you want and tech = ? it's all just alittle edit of a file :)

I guess I could do that, even if the stock XL drogue is hardly a work of art... I must admit though, I'm surprised that there seems to be no mod that fills this niche? Normally when I build a new modded install, I spend 1-2 hours cross-referencing part lists and writing patches to unload redundant parts because so many mods implement variations of the same stuff over and over. It's really surprising to find a part that is not just merely obscure, but apparently has not been made by anyone at all.

RealChute is a world of its own, really. I might go with it if I decide to go with FAR. I'm not sure about that yet. With stock aero, I won't take RC. It just doesn't feel like it fits the style.

8 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I guess I could do that, even if the stock XL drogue is hardly a work of art... I must admit though, I'm surprised that there seems to be no mod that fills this niche? Normally when I build a new modded install, I spend 1-2 hours cross-referencing part lists and writing patches to unload redundant parts because so many mods implement variations of the same stuff over and over. It's really surprising to find a part that is not just merely obscure, but apparently has not been made by anyone at all.

RealChute is a world of its own, really. I might go with it if I decide to go with FAR. I'm not sure about that yet. With stock aero, I won't take RC. It just doesn't feel like it fits the style.

There is also

I've looked at that, yes. Unfortunately the smallest ballute is 1.25m. I'd need one for 0.625m. I could of course rescale it, but if I was going for that, I'd do it to the stock XL drogue instead of downloading a mod. I'm also not fond of the thought that it's inherently different from the parachutes. I've done kitchen sink mod installs in the past, but nowadays I'm looking to build myself something that feels cohesive most of all. Not every part there is, but rather just the parts that fit the theme in my head. And that theme right now asks for a simple drogue parachute :wink:

Such a shame that the one from Ven's Revamp has a huge main chute canopy. It reads "drogue" in the name, but it has about as much slowing force as the 1.25m XL main chute... I can edit the drag cube, but I can't edit away the gigantic canopy. It's part of the model =/

16 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I've looked at that, yes. Unfortunately the smallest ballute is 1.25m. I'd need one for 0.625m. I could of course rescale it, but if I was going for that, I'd do it to the stock XL drogue instead of downloading a mod. I'm also not fond of the thought that it's inherently different from the parachutes. I've done kitchen sink mod installs in the past, but nowadays I'm looking to build myself something that feels cohesive most of all. Not every part there is, but rather just the parts that fit the theme in my head. And that theme right now asks for a simple drogue parachute :wink:

Such a shame that the one from Ven's Revamp has a huge main chute canopy. It reads "drogue" in the name, but it has about as much slowing force as the 1.25m XL main chute... I can edit the drag cube, but I can't edit away the gigantic canopy. It's part of the model =/

what is part name will take a look and you still can edit the model

37 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

...Ummm.

*digs through old installs*

Ah, there it is. When last I downloaded Ven's, it was in a file called ExtraParachutes.cfg, and named parachuteSingle_drogue. "Mk26 Parachute" ingame.

testing be right back

EDIT- LOL hope this chute is the size your looking for lol look real close

All Credit to Ven

License: CC-BY 4.0 International

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Test Parts/DrogueChute.zip

This is me being alittle bit of a smart butt lol

Edited by Mecripp2

@MeCripp - I can see why you were laughing. That was by far the most ridiculous parachute canopy I have ever seen, though admittedly the "seeing" part was a bit tricky :D

How did you do that anyway? Changed the model directly? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't work via config tweaks. (At least, I never managed to pull it off.)

And if it's model editing - may I request a more sane size, something closer to the radial-mounted drogues? :P

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

@MeCripp - I can see why you were laughing. That was by far the most ridiculous parachute canopy I have ever seen, though admittedly the "seeing" part was a bit tricky :D

How did you do that anyway? Changed the model directly? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't work via config tweaks. (At least, I never managed to pull it off.)

And if it's model editing - may I request a more sane size, something closer to the radial-mounted drogues? :P

LOL sorry just had to post that at first i didn't see it to i looked real close and not sure why the size of the canopy is so small but am try to find out why and will post a update :wink:

EDIT- But that part the cfg is just a patch copying anther part which over-ride anther but still it's all there just the size maybe i'm missing something will work on it

Edited by Mecripp2
EDIT

Yeah, as far as I gathered, Stock Revamp first applies a blanket patch that changes the default asset paths of all stock parts to its own replacement assets. Only after that it goes and applies further tweaks and introduces new parts by cloning old ones after they were already changed by the blanket patch. Makes it really difficult to use just a few of Ven's parts - you pretty much have to take the whole package, unless you're prepared to manually fix individual configs and sort through assets. So in this case there's probably assets missing, because the blanket patch is missing, which results in this ridiculously tiny canopy because because something was not properly replaced and/or the stock replacement assets folder is missing? I can oinly guess.

Changing scaling parameters in the config has no effect on the canopy size whatsoever, which is consistent with my previous experiences, when I tried to do this myself. But it's probably not worth the trouble. :(

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2017 at 1:00 AM, Streetwind said:

Two months later, I'm still looking for a 0.625m nose-mounted drogue that isn't RealChute.

Anybody seen such a thing? :)

Dr. Jet's Chop Shop has some nice parachutes -- the "Small Inline" chute might suit your purposes (you might need to stick a nosecone on top of it, not sure):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/76248-12x-dr-jets-chop-shop-v01011-05112016/

Not yet sure at a glance if it's exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm pretty sure it's at least better than cloning the stock parachute with a different name. Will definitely try it out, thanks! :)

(Still open for additional suggestions too.)

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.