The Stock Weapons Challenge

Very cool engineering challange. I will be posting my entry tonight. If i figure out how to record and post gifs, that is haha.

How do you guys make those awesome gifs? 

Edit: ah.. i see you can record movies with vlc. Perhaps i can convert those to gifs with photoshop or something. :)

Edited by xendelaar
Found some info on the interwebs

I made a missile with some limited homing capabilities and strapped it on my SU-27 replica. The hardest part was getting the missile to separate without having to reset the target. There's lots of room for improvement, but I'm exited with this small success. 

Edited by Jefzor

On 2/15/2017 at 6:04 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Also, good use of the sputnik + Goliath engine as the front 'pod', it's a good look.

Not to dispute the good looks,but erhm... Goliath? Been a while since I last used one, but they must've seriously shrunk in the meantime. :D

Seeing as it''s about the same diameter as the Stayputnik, and those wings are actually FAT-455 tail fins.... I would say it's an mk0 LF tank with a Juno (smallest vs. biggest jet).

On 2/15/2017 at 5:36 AM, BXWRX said:

My First Post!!! Great Game and Forum By The Way.

BuzzDrone Taking Off.

Welcome to KSP, and the forum.

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Not to dispute the good looks,but erhm... Goliath? Been a while since I last used one, but they must've seriously shrunk in the meantime. :D ... *snip*

Yep! Too true. I've been burning the candle at both ends lately and my brain must have rescaled it without me noticing. Purely for amusement-sake I went ahead and made a model actually using a goliath :cool:

ezgif_com_optimize_8.gif

As far as called shots go, I think this one can just about manage "Somewhere on Kerbin!"

Edited by Cunjo Carl
typo

11 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Space count?

I haven't seen our OP @Krog34 in a little while, so we might need to wait to get an official weigh in. That said, it's certainly in the spirit of the challenge and there's nothing in the rules is against it. I certainly wouldn't mind checking out some stock space weapons!

Kind of a WIP, I need ammo for a six shooter or some type of giant pistol.  I think this is what I'm gonna use.

BglwOmJ.jpg

The cone alone is the bullet.  The angled "gunpowder" gives a nice spin stabilization.  The motors are set for 100% but at the shortest duration.  The whole cartridge would get disposed in one piece.  Range ain't super great but it has some accuracy.  I tried some heavier rounds but it didn't really increase the range.  RCS balls with a wad might make an ok shotgun shell.

We could do larger rounds with the Flea and have a lower part count but we wouldn't get the spin stabilization.

giphy.gif

Edited by klond

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, klond said:

We could do larger rounds with the Flea and have a lower part count but we wouldn't get the spin stabilization.

Being a gun / exterior ballistics aficionado, I am fascinated by this.  Could you perhaps use the flea to launch a projectile that used aerodynamically induced spin stabilization via slightly angled fins?

edit:  Hmm.. well, I suppose that it might be just as (if not more) effective to have the projectile be stabilized by straight fins in a normal arrow fashion..

Edited by MunGazer

Does anyone know how the game decides whether a part gets destroyed or not? I finally got my missile to home pretty well, but it doesn't do any damage most of the time. I'm guessing it's based on the speed and mass of the part that's hitting your target? 

2 hours ago, Jefzor said:

Does anyone know how the game decides whether a part gets destroyed or not? I finally got my missile to home pretty well, but it doesn't do any damage most of the time. I'm guessing it's based on the speed and mass of the part that's hitting your target? 

My best guess is that either your relative speed is too low (most of my missiles impact at 80+ m/s relative to their target) or you're using parts with too little impact tolerance. The missile below has an I-beam clipped into the front of it, and is powered by two Junos that can push it to ~240m/s, enough to catch either my F-14 or F-5 at top speed.

kArEGon.gif

And dogfights, of course. As expected, this 4v1 ended pretty badly for the F-5

YwAroh5.png

Edited by Servo

On 3-3-2017 at 3:24 AM, Servo said:

My best guess is that either your relative speed is too low (most of my missiles impact at 80+ m/s relative to their target) or you're using parts with too little impact tolerance. The missile below has an I-beam clipped into the front of it, and is powered by two Junos that can push it to ~240m/s, enough to catch either my F-14 or F-5 at top speed.

Thanks for the advice, relative speed wasn't a problem, but I was using weak parts on the front of the missile. I'm now using a small heat shield as the nose and it really makes a difference. Now it does damage most of the time. 

On 2016-12-14 at 0:20 PM, Torquimedes said:

I suspect people have rediscovered this periodically through KSP’s history, but it was news to me and helpful for building stock weapons and targets.  This applies to striking craft with weapons rather than buildings.

@moronwrocket built an impact test rig and performed empirical testing, which demonstrated that the “impact tolerance” listed for parts refers to momentum imparted by a collision rather than the speed of collision.  Since a full tank is heavier than an empty one, it takes a lot more momentum to jolt it hard enough to break.  This is counterintuitive to those of us who think of full tanks as thin-skinned barely-contained infernos, instead of solid objects.

For example:

• An orange tank’s impact tolerance is 6m/s, and it masses 36 tons full and 4 tons empty.  
  • To break a full orange tank, we need an impactor with a momentum of (36 t x 6 m/s =) 216 tons-meters per second.  
  • This could be a Launch Escape System (1.1 t) moving at 200 m/s at the time of impact = 220 tm/s
  • This could also be a Large Holding Tank full of ore (17 t) impacting at only 14 m/s = 238 tm/s
  • Converselty, to break an empty orange tank, we only need (4 t x 6 m/s =) 24 tm/s
  • An X200-32 tank has half the full/empty mass of an orange tank, so its breakpoints are 108 tm/s full and 12 tm/s empty
  • Aircraft wings are very fragile (most are <4 tm/s)
  • Mk2/Mk3 parts are not (Mk2 14.5 - 228.5 tm/s) (Mk3 89.5 - 2857 tm/s)

@moronwrocket‘s research also demonstrated that the heavy impactor “warhead” should be the first thing that strikes the target.  If you use a nosecone for streamlining, when the nosecone impacts it has a very low chance to damage a heavy target, and a high chance of slowing the warhead behind it, which robs it of momentum.

Once you impact one part of a craft hard enough to break it, that part collides against any parts attached to it with its own momentum, potentially causing secondary explosions.

I'm trying to put this into practice, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My goal is to come up with a weapon that can reliably punch through the M-2x2 Panel (which almost everyone uses for armor plating). The panel has a mass of 0.3 tonnes and an impact tolerance of 80m/s. So it should therefore require an impact momentum of 24tm/s.

My missiles consist of a single Pocket I-Beam (with two Seperatrons attached), which has a mass of 0.19 tonnes and an impact tolerance of 80m/s. 24/0.19 = 127m/s, so that's the minimum speed I should accelerate them to, correct?

In practice, though, the missiles always either bounce right off the panel, get somehow stuck inside it, or simply explode themselves. In all instances the "armor" is completely undamaged. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I also tried it with the standard I-Beam, which has a mass of 0.38 tonnes. Same thing.

On 2017-02-19 at 0:32 PM, Jefzor said:

The hardest part was getting the missile to separate without having to reset the target.

How'd you do it? Mine always lose the target as soon as I stage them off.

Edited by Mitchz95

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.