Waffles or Pancakes

NSEP

The greatest question kerbalkind has ever asked  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Waffles or Pancakes?

• Waffles
    • Pancakes
    • Neither
    • Both together, with ice cream, caramel sauce, nuts, shaved chocolate, a banana donut on top and dont forget the cherry.
    • French Toast
    • Grilled Cheese Sandwich

18 hours ago, James Kerman said:

I'd like to request an option for: Both, together.  With icecream , caramel sauce and nuts.  And shaved chocolate.  And a banana and a donut on top.  Ohh I forgot a cherry.

k w8

there you go.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

French toast is definitely a win.

We've had this very poll before, maybe 1 or 2 years ago(?). Waffles was the clear winner, by quite a margin.

I believe you are correct.

Oddly enough, I voted waffle. My wife and I are waffle fans, and my sons are pancake fans. But my little girl loves french toast, so I am sad to see it underrepresented.

I suppose if we want to be really pedestrian we can demand that he add a dutch baby option.

Edited by TheSaint

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

French toast is definitely a win.

We've had this very poll before, maybe 1 or 2 years ago(?). Waffles was the clear winner, by quite a margin.

I care, i put french toast in poll.

Wow, this is difficult. I am the one who cooks breakfast in our house (my wife's not a fan of any of the stuff on the poll). I make pancakes more frequently, as they require the least prep/time. My pancakes are, like my mother's, very crepe like. I like them with lingonberries, but we also keep maple syrup around (I'm from New England, so grade B)---fake syrup... don't even get me started.

I also make waffles, though, and they are awesome, just much more work. I haven't done french toast in a while, but when I do it's a lot more complicated as I am persnickety about having decently stale, but quality bread to dip in the custard (which is what the egg/fat/sugar solutions actually is). Also really good.

I gotta think which I prefer. Given the frequency which I make/have them is roughly the order I presented them in, I guess French toast might well be the winner. Of course in a restaurant, I'll take whatever egg dish I can get with Mexican chorizo over any of the sweet options :) .

1 hour ago, tater said:

Wow, this is difficult. I am the one who cooks breakfast in our house (my wife's not a fan of any of the stuff on the poll). I make pancakes more frequently, as they require the least prep/time. My pancakes are, like my mother's, very crepe like. I like them with lingonberries, but we also keep maple syrup around (I'm from New England, so grade B)---fake syrup... don't even get me started.

I also make waffles, though, and they are awesome, just much more work. I haven't done french toast in a while, but when I do it's a lot more complicated as I am persnickety about having decently stale, but quality bread to dip in the custard (which is what the egg/fat/sugar solutions actually is). Also really good.

I gotta think which I prefer. Given the frequency which I make/have them is roughly the order I presented them in, I guess French toast might well be the winner. Of course in a restaurant, I'll take whatever egg dish I can get with Mexican chorizo over any of the sweet options :) .

I'm the breakfast cook on the weekends. Waffles, pancakes, and french toast are all in my repertoire, along with omelettes, dutch babies, crepes, as well as the old standby of eggs-to-order, hash browns, and (of course) BACON! :) The french toast is actually really good, because I bake my own whole wheat bread.

We actually don't do a whole lot of maple syrup. My wife cans a lot of fruits and fruit syrups, so that is mostly what we use. We have a mercado here in town that had cherries for $0.49 a pound this summer, so we bought five cases and wound up with a massive cache of cherry syrup and cherries in syrup in the cupboard. (And stomachaches. But it was so worth it.) They've been a hit this fall, especially in crepes with whipped cream.

Oh, the other thing I do for breakfast that is wildly popular with the kids is homemade Egg McMuffins. Buttered toasted English muffin, egg cooked over-hard in a biscuit ring, slice of real cheddar cheese, slice of Canadian bacon. Good stuff. I do egg sandwiches too sometimes. Two eggs over-hard, melt a slice of cheddar on top, serve it up between two slices of bread with, believe it or not, ketchup. Don't ask, it's a childhood thing.

Edited by TheSaint

2 minutes ago, regex said:

Dutch baby in cast-iron. Easier than pancakes and waffles, tastes better, cleans up easier.

It's a regular favorite around our house. But I usually leave it for my wife to make on the weekdays, she usually has her hands full.

It depends on my mood. I make both waffles and pancakes from scratch - no Bisquick here! Buttermilk and other "real" ingredients, including butter, is what I do. For the most part, I let my daughter choose what we have on Sunday morning - and that is when I will cook her either buttermilk pancakes or waffles...

And to respond to @regex - that's all we use in our house is cast iron; so even the pancakes are cooked on a cast iron griddle.

Edited by adsii1970

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

It depends on my mood. I make both waffles and pancakes from scratch - no Bisquick here! Buttermilk and other "real" ingredients, including butter, is what I do. For the most part, I let my daughter choose what we have on Sunday morning - and that is when I will cook her either buttermilk pancakes or waffles...

Oh, heck yeah, no mixes here either. Real butter, real eggs, real cheese, whole milk. We actually grind our own flour. We buy the wheat berries from Honeyville and have a grinder that attaches to the stand mixer. Soft white wheat for the pancakes and such, hard red wheat for the bread.

Funny story: I've been making the bread for our family for over a decade now, since before the kids were born. So when I went into the hospital for my aneurysm repair two years ago, my in-laws came to watch the kids while my wife was staying down near the hospital in Phoenix. They went and bought just plain old white bread from the store. And my kids were literally picking up their sandwiches with two fingers like they were dead rats and asking, "What is this stuff? Is this supposed to be bread?" :D

Your anecdote is funny! Your write-up makes me think of that commercial from Jimmy Dean that was pulled after its first week. It was for a microwave breakfast sandwich; towards the end it said: "the eggs are from real chickens. The cheese is from real dairy. The sausage is Jimmy Dean!"

Yeah, I should add that I don't use mixes (eww). Pancakes I can literally make in my sleep... I'm most of the way done with the batter by the time the espresso machine has done the self-cleaning and warm up dance.

This is actually a really hard question for me, because I have to choose between my grandmother and my dad.

My grandmother's waffle recipe is amazing. We use an old waffle iron from the 50's, it still works like a charm.

My dad makes terrific pancakes. His recipe came out of a Good Housekeeping book from the 60's-70's, but it's still great.

I honestly can't decide.

46 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Maybe we need to add a recipe thread to the forum! :cool:

I like this idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.