Scale and variety of parts needs an increase

The game becomes practically unplayable when a vessel exceeds just 1000 parts, simply because there is too much to calculate in terms of collisions and such and even with improved colliders there is always going to be a limit to what the hardware can handle. Breaking this down it becomes painfully obvious that the number of "needed" parts for a vessel can be decreased vastly by injecting some actually BIG ones to choose from, I usually need 100+ nuclear rods for a large vessel on an extensive mission and this is on the edge of just being plain ridiculous. Same goes for structural wings, those tiny little sheets need to be used by the dozens to start covering any respectable area. The biggest motorized wheels in the game? I can barely see them underneath my largest creations, not to mention even 20 of them can't as much as budge a truly gigantic lander. To rotate a regular 1500 ton ship before it's on the other side of its orbit you'll need dozens of the biggest reaction wheels. Numerous things like these could possibly/hopefully be vastly improved without expending excessive manpower since many models could be largely reused by scaling and just touching up textures a bit.

Another thing sorely needed would be just a bucket of glue. Using struts is typically ugly and using the invisible auto struts often comes at a staggering performance cost, instead if something is overlapping it should be possible to splash some space glue there, only visible in VAB but providing all the structural enhancement you'd need.

Without a doubt I'd happily pay half of what I paid for the whole game just for an official DLC packed with loads of specialized (and actually big) parts since the hundreds of hours of fun you get out of KSP would easily be worth that much. I don't hate mods but I never mod a game unless it's a hopeless mess and I give up on the devs, simply because I want the "feeling" of accomplishing great things within the challenging frame of what the devs think is reasonable instead of cherry picking things that make the game easier. On this note I believe many truly enormous parts should cost more than a meager 1000 science points to unlock, for example the nuclear rod should have one more step for some 1500-2000 points where you get a giant upgraded core with 50 times the power for 75 times the cash. Fusion reactor would be even better, but that would need another new level for even more points and ridiculous amounts of cash, in return it had better look awesome!

Oh as a final note it would be nice to be able to build a much bigger VAB and launch pad, some (actually many) of my creations poke out through the walls of the VAB... ^_^

If your vessels reach 1000 parts then they are massively overengineered. I can easily accomplish anything I want below 100 parts. Doesn't matter if they are huge or tiny size.

Oh, and the typical "more stuff after the tech tree ends". Guess what my thoughts on that are.

"More" or "Bigger" doesn't always equal "Better". 

Edited by Veeltch

Well of course not every player wants to build big but those who do simply can't, while it doesn't affect you it does affect me to a huge degree. I can build minimalist things of less than 100 parts too, but that's not what I actually want to do since it gets boring after the first 200 hours. :P What I want to do is build giant rockets capable of going nearly anywhere, landing on small planets and moons and letting a crewed buggy roll out for some reckless fun driving while drills refuel the mothership. I want to build space stations capable of housing a hundred kerbals that don't just look like someone left a piece of tube floating. I'm not playing KSP to build tiny things that only just do a single job, if anything I want to build a dozen such small things and launch them from a carrier. You know what I did when Kerbin's antennas fell short and my poor satellite on the other side of the system was getting 40% signal? I built a gigantic 40m station covered by 60 of the most powerful antennas in the game and put it on top of Minmus like a silly hat. Everything further from Kerbin than the Mun reroutes through that thing now and I laugh every time they bounce the signal 3 times the distance they'd actually need to. :D

What in the world are you building that needs bigger wheels than the huge ones.   It's pretty easy to make stuff that reaches 1000 parts, but only if you freak with the prettays.

But bigger reaction wheels?  Yes.

Things we definitely should have:

Multiple sizes of modular wings: this should've been available when they added the big wings. For some reason, they added:

Strakes

Deltas

Control Surfaces

Big-ish main wings (Though too small for proper airliners)

Tailplanes

But then they thought "hey, if someone wants to make a big aircraft, they can just piece together hundreds of 4x2m sections of paper-thin wing."

So SQUAD decided not to add any reasonable-sized modular wings. You know, maybe an 8x4 size that's thick like the big wings? Maybe even an 8x8 section?

------

More node sizes: 5, 7.5, and 10 meter node sizes should be standard, with their own unique parts, especially for rockets, but even aircraft. Some aircraft that aren't really THAT big use 5-6 m nodes (shuttle, b757, b767, b787, A300, A310, A330, A340, A350), and the biggest real aircraft use 7.5-10m nodes.

---

Reasonably good small rocket engines: the Juno has a nice believable 20 kN thrust. Mk0 rocket engines have a much less nice 18 kN. Jets should not be more powerful than rockets. We now have a situation where a 4x disparity in area is a 60x disparity in thrust for the best mk0 and mk1 engines. IMO, there should be a mk0 engine weighing about 0.25 tonnes with 50-ish kN thrust.

---

Mk0 tanks: seriously: if we have mk0 rockets, why is the awkwardly tiny Oscar tank the only available mk0 tank? I think we should have Mk0 tanks up to 4 meters long with up to 200 units LFO. That's 1 tonne. Also, what is up with the Oscar? How are there 200 kg of LFO in 153 liters of tank? if we're being consistent with other tanks, there should be like 1/256th of an orange tank in there, which is 25, not 40.   OMG OSCAR-B IZ OP PLZ NERF!

Edited by Pds314

25 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Things we definitely should have:

Multiple sizes of modular wings: this should've been available when they added the big wings. For some reason, they added:

Strakes

Deltas

Control Surfaces

Big-ish main wings (Though too small for proper airliners)

Tailplanes

But then they thought "hey, if someone wants to make a big aircraft, they can just piece together hundreds of 4x2m sections of paper-thin wing."

So SQUAD decided not to add any reasonable-sized modular wings. You know, maybe an 8x4 size that's thick like the big wings? Maybe even an 8x8 section?

Or maybe a good idea would be to finally introduce the procedural parts. It's simpler, easier to use and reduces RAM usage.

Edited by Veeltch

1 minute ago, Veeltch said:

Or maybe a good idea would be to finally introduce the procedural parts. It's simpler, easier to use and reduces RAM usage.

True. SQUAD has generally resisted stock p-wings in the past for reasons I do not understand.

@Rath Well, instead of having several small labs going places in the name of science, I figured why not a giant plated dome with a dozen beautifully integrated labs, capable of refuel and relocation to anywhere with max 30% of Kerbin's gravity? :D Of course to power it during those long cold nights you need an atrocious amount of nuke rods and to rotate it with any speed needs about 40-50 reaction wheels I think... Had to give up on motor wheels because it weighs 1000+ tons fully fueled, too bad because it would look hilarious taking it for a drive! However after dropping the 18 mammoths on the first stage it does actually decrease to roughly 960 parts so it wasn't a full 1000 there - I promise less than 500 of them were for decoration! Probably! Almost certain. You know what it looks so cool I'm just gonna man up and take the criticism, totally worth it.

@DrLicor Well those mods are surely all good and such but like I said, I just don't want to mod KSP because it feels too much like cherry picking or cheating. :wink:

Pds314 and Veeltch make some excellent points there, procedural stuff sounds like a VIP ticket to happy land and those suggested parts would fill up some pretty awkward voids quite nicely. Also that rascal Oscar must be brought to justice for his crimes of breaking the laws of physics, or made to explain his dimensional warping so we can use it for the further evolution of Kerbalkind!

18 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

@DrLicor Well those mods are surely all good and such but like I said, I just don't want to mod KSP because it feels too much like cherry picking or cheating. :wink:

Nah I disagree. Mods can make the game easier and more userfriendly, Take KER for example, you don't want to calculate all those things by yourself, do you. For making more part you want in the stock game, maybe some mods have them. Also, I use joint reinforcement because I think the the connection between joint is way too under powered. If you would build a rocket in real life, you don't use moarr struts :) 
Ofcourse some mods are considered as cheating by some users. Mechjeb2 for instance, but it's all up to the users. I just use mechjeb too time my tranferburns and to calculate the remaining delta-v because mechjeb seems to have some hard time on it.

I hope you've installed some visual mods, those are not cheaty in any way, and can make your game soo much better :) 

Spoiler

The screens are all from my RSS/RO install, with scatterer and RVE. 

2C98C544F2E70C651C6F43500D2204FB782AA943F5F3F2C99EFDE8939B5FBA72B57F6DC30F7F54C47B99036F2037B65BC02D1B6B5599ED4C5598C592

On ‎6‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 11:54 AM, Pds314 said:

Mk0 tanks: seriously: if we have mk0 rockets, why is the awkwardly tiny Oscar tank the only available mk0 tank? I think we should have Mk0 tanks up to 4 meters long with up to 200 units LFO. That's 1 tonne. Also, what is up with the Oscar? How are there 200 kg of LFO in 153 liters of tank? if we're being consistent with other tanks, there should be like 1/256th of an orange tank in there, which is 25, not 40.   OMG OSCAR-B IZ OP PLZ NERF!

I excuse this in my game by saying that smaller tanks have stronger walls in proportion, so their internal supports take up less volume. Not saying the Oscar isn't a bit overboard, tho.

Whether or not they add the parts the OP is asking for, i think the game is overdue a cull of others.

We have modular wing pieces whose only difference is in the default rotation.  Tail fins of very similar size whose only difference is cosmetic.

There is also the problem of duplicated fuel tanks, which could be alleviated if the game ever implemented a form of switchable containers.

eg. mk3 monoprop, liquid fuel, and rocket fuel tanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.