your most painful ksp moments

imkrazy

what are your most painful KSP moments?

nothing much has to be said here, I guess...

my personal most painful moment were when I downloaded the 1.2 update. I had to GO THROUGH MY 102 DIFFERENT PROBES AND ATTACH POWERFUL ENOUGH ANTENNAS. KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So my computer has 4gb of ram and it runs pretty well. Larger rockets will lag and met will not be equal to real time (it does give me more reaction time so...). But now because of mods I can't run any program for ksp to work without the vab music lagging. Installing mods can be painful to, at least for me.

I had some 40 minute long burns that required constant babysitting for the rocket to not spin out and explode back in 0.22 or so, which were a real pain.

Still, my worst pain is this long period from 1.1 till now during which I refuse to play the game. First BahamutoD left and his wheels and BDA became unusable and now it's even worse with no FAR. I hope it won't take more than 1-2 months.

I had a mission to eve, send a probe to the surface and keep a satellite in orbit. I made a rocket that would send both in one go. I waited until it was time to launch. I launched, it went there, went into orbit. When I detached the landing probe and then I noticed I had forgotten to unfold the solar panels, but not before running out of electric charge.

The mission had taken an hour and was for nothing.

On 12/6/2016 at 3:28 PM, imkrazy said:

my personal most painful moment were when I downloaded the 1.2 update. I had to GO THROUGH MY 102 DIFFERENT PROBES AND ATTACH POWERFUL ENOUGH ANTENNAS. KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You do know you could've turned comms off for that save and tried out the system in a new one, right?

At least it must've made for an interesting challenge at first?

On my first Jool V run, I forgot solar panels. I had to do the whole launch, docking and getting to Jool again. I couldn't have gotten away on battery power as 1, it had now batteries on it and 2, this thing had to after landing on Laythe, take off and land on Vall, then take off from there and rendezvous with the mothership in Low Vall orbit.

Fire

20 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

MY FIRST LANDING THIS UPDATE ONTO THE MUN WAS IN THE DARK.

My first ever Minimus landing was in the dark. That was the first round trip to the surface of a celestial body and back.

Fire 

Finished fueling my huge, huge Duna mission. A "train" of 7 really large crafts docked together. Computer was running at some 7FPS. Performed the burn. Missed the target by nearly 800m/s. The whole thing entered oscillation and fell apart.

I understood I created a failure.

Abandoned the game for about a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Astarael I (technically it was just Astarael at the time but I've since given other spacecraft the same name). A 200+ part interplanetary cruiser that I built in 1.0.5 to go to Duna and back. 200 parts with a less-than-ideal computer for the game is not a good situation, particularly before 1.1, and is even worse when in combination with a 20 minute burn time. Luckily I had MechJeb installed, but even so, every maneuver with that spacecraft was enormously tedious, even just turning it to execute a tiny correction burn. The nuclear engine on it was very powerful, but the burn to escape Kerbin's SOI still took a long time for the several-hundred-tonne vehicle. And what's worse is that the Duna landers almost didn't make it back to space (this was one of my earliest interplanetary missions, and my first to Duna). There isn't a single particularly painful moment, but every minute of in-game time with this spacecraft took 2 to 5 minutes of real time, making the entire mission a pain.

Below is the only image I still have of Astarael I. It was composed of five independently autonomous modules, had a maximum crew capacity of 18, and was enormously overpowered for the task of going to Duna and back. But I was far less experienced back then.

12697110_147254185658089_898874138640144

Edited by eloquentJane

My most painful moment was when I went to Eve to try to fly a manned ship back into orbit. It was 100,000, and I only had one shot, as my money was really low. I landed safely, did my science, and tried to get back on. I realized the ladders didn't work, so I went to revert flight, as I didn't reload any quicksaves. I then realized that I DID loud a quicksave before, and I was screwed. I didn't play for another 3 weeks.

7 hours ago, Sharpy said:

...ummm, where?

What do you mean where? It's at Duna, in the middle of a very long and tedious injection burn that was worsened by the fact that I was experiencing horrendous lag (though the burn to leave Kerbin orbit is why it is relevant for this forum topic).

If you're wondering why the image is flipped, it's because it was being used as a facebook cover photo and the best angle of the ship involved flipping it so that it wasn't too obscured by the profile picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.