So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

KSP rushed towards 1.0 because "they" were after a contract with Sony.
Squad isnt a Game-Dev-Studio but a Marketing Company.

Sony is the EA of Indie-Titles, that suck up every good idea that is out there, put it on their system/franchise and then it dies when all the money is drained out of it.
It also is very hard to believe that many high-ranked and very important members of the Dev-Team left Squad out of individual reason in the term of a year.

KSP is going down the drain. [citiation needed] - but i feel it in my bones that i am not far from the truth here.

There is still much work to be done to finish this game and it feels incomplete.
To call the current state a 1.x-version is a joke. I am aware that KSP isnt a AAA-Title but there are so many holes in the game and issues that havent been tackled since 0.18, that i am confident of my position here.

I still love this game, and I wished I had a better outlook for it.
Let's hope I am wrong as always.

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

On 12/7/2016 at 9:29 AM, Vegatoxi said:

In 2013, when i first meet KSP, it was something really new and unusual. I played almost 600 hours between 0.23 and 1.0 and it was really fun. I read DevNotes every week in anticipation of new cool stuff. But then hit a black line between 1.0 and 1.1 - lack of updates,

You're aware that there were five bug releases in 1.0? 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5?

Those were of course bug fixes so they don't change anything big, but the game was definitely worked on. Some might even argue that it's a good thing that those fixes were not so extensive that they didn't break anything, because big updates tend to break mods, and so people are unhappy about that. But for you, it means that the game is "alive" I guess.

Then 1.1 was released and broke everything

Wait, what? Didn't you just complain that the lack of "big changes" meant the game was dead? And now a big update (naturally meaning mods need updating) is a bad thing? I recommend googling the words "having cake" and "eating it."

By the way, between 0.23 and 1.0 there was plenty of mod breakage.

So if compare 2013 with now... seems KSP is dead, or at least at death's door.

My oh my. You should talk to Perl programmers.

This forum is up and running. And 1.2.2 got just released, this week.

We can't have ongoing maintenance that fixes things, because "alive" is only "alive" when we have big, game changing updates.
But we can't have big, game changing updates either because they'd break mods and apparently that means the game is dead too.

So... what is it?

If you want to be technical it cant ever die because it is (from my experience) not a sentient computer program and thus the terminology "dead" or "alive" doesnt apply the same way it doesnt apply to my laptop.

Anyways, jokes aside, i think its safe to say that development of KSP is going down the drain, not to say there is no progress, but it seems that after the recent dev meltdown alot less effort is put into bugfixing and new features.  Im not a pessimist or anything, but based on what ive seen and facts, KSP is past its prime and while it may remain updated for quite a while into teh future, i dont exactly expect much more major features to be developed.

Kinda hoping im wrong, but at the lease im quite happy with what we have right now, and if they fix that absolutely atrocious ground seam bug that sends tanks/cars/rovers to their doom, ill at least consider KSP in a state im content with and wont have any complaints left (everything you cant do stock i'd even want to do can be done with mods).

Edited by panzer1b

On 12/7/2016 at 6:29 AM, Vegatoxi said:

-snip-

I'm gonna be honest here. I've been playing KSP since 1.0.5 came out and logged a ton of hours in it, and I've been on the forums for almost a year now, and I've seen what like 20 threads saying KSP is dead? I looked at this thread and I'm thinking 'oh boy here we go again. One person posts a concern that he is worried that the game might be dying and every other person on the forums is gonna jump on him.' Sure enough! I do feel sorry for the OP just because everyone is telling him how he's deluded and stuff, but honestly guys we all know that whether or not you think a game is dead depends on how you define dead. And the OP has a slightly different definition. That's okay. Aaaaaand I'm rambling again. *facepalm* All I wanted to say was this: Let's show more understanding here. 

On 12/7/2016 at 7:31 AM, Gaarst said:

Grammar aside, that was bad news. But we're still to close to actually know the consequences on the game's development. Nothing says they won't find good devs and continue just fine.

Well I assembled a thread that is a reasonably comprehensive list of the facts of that particular sticky situation:

I came to the conclusion that the developer 'exodus' was pretty neutral and more a coincidence of multiple people leaving over the period of a few months due to moving, having contracts end, or simply moving on to something else than a coordinated protest like many doomsdayists seemed to want to think. I would strongly suggest you go read it if you're concerned about that and if it makes you think that this game is dying. Whether or not this game is dying actually has nothing to do with this developer departure. 

Edited by Mycroft

9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

(...) honestly guys we all know that whether or not you think a game is dead depends on how you define dead. And the OP has a slightly different definition. (...)

Ok, good point... but the OP did a less-than-stellar job in argumenting his position.

• A lot of mods are abandoned. Well, yes. The game is three years older. Of course there are more abandoned mods because abandoned mods rarely ever get un-abandoned, so the collection of them continues to grow over time. But: there are also more mods alive. More than in 2013, I dare say
  • Lack of updates between 1.0 and 1.1. Ironically, 1.0 was the version that saw the most (3rd digit) updates of any version of KSP.
  • Devnotes become boring. Aside from the extremely subjective nature of that assessment, did we even have weekly devnotes back in 2013? I'm not saying we didn't but I cannot really remember. And if I can't remember, how exciting were those devnotes back then?

Based on a solid definition (unreasonably perhaps, but solid) one can come up with good argumentation that development seems to have hit a dead end right now. I just don't see that argumentation surface in the post.

Edited by monstah
Fixed the quote for you, the trick is to ctrl+x it ;)

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I've been playing KSP since 1.0.5 came out and ....

This just sums it up.

We were here lot sooner and we have seen bit better days.

Its not that i want to see more from the squad .... not at all i am glad they stopped with the development.

Now modders can finally work with something stable....problem is some of those modder have not came back yet. :-(

other then that am good.

....but you should have seen it back in those days.... it was exploding here.

Everyone saying this game is dead is kinda saddening. I mean A game is never truely dead until the commuinity behind the game gives up on it completly. Maybe some of you here have played Sim City 4. Yes that ancient building game from 2004. It still has an extremely active community that I was a part of up to last year. The development of KSP by the original Dev's may be dead and buried but that doesn't mean other Devs won't come in and keep giving us updates. As the OP pointed out that several major mods have been abandoned. Hell I noticed recently several mods that I loved are no longer avaliable for 1.2, at the same time though, other programmers and designed are coming up and keeping some mods updated and new mods are still being released daily. KSP isn't going anywhere anytime soon due to the community. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this has been the friendliest and most dedicated to the game and helping each other out community I have ever been a part of and I can say I have really enjoyed it thus far. 

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Falcon 4.0 is another example. Released in 1998, it still has a hugely active community nearly two decades later.

Or AvP2, released 2001. Here's a list of multiplayer servers being played right now (fans made a mod to switch out the single official multiplayer server for custom ones once they closed it). Seriously, that was one of the best FPS games ever, and early this year me and friends had a blast doing a LAN party.

4 minutes ago, monstah said:

Or AvP2, released 2001. Here's a list of multiplayer servers being played right now (fans made a mod to switch out the single official multiplayer server for custom ones once they closed it). Seriously, that was one of the best FPS games ever, and early this year me and friends had a blast doing a LAN party.

Lol it has 12 players on 22 servers as of this post. Not a huge fanbase.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:20 PM, Triop said:

The way I see it a game dies as soon as it's finished.

I used to play Prison Architect 24/7, watching development on Youtube.

Soon™ they finished the game, I've lost interest. ^_^

OMG I LOVED PA!!!

The whole thing was SUPER cool, and it was right up there with KSP for 'Best game in Beta.' I'm sad that the development has ended, but hey, it's good to see that the game's still somewhat alive

Just now, Mycroft said:

Lol it has 12 players on 22 servers as of this post. Not a huge fanbase.

My point wasn't about how many people still play it, but that developers officially pulled the plug on the game over a decade ago, and modders kept the game alive.

Just now, monstah said:

My point wasn't about how many people still play it, but that developers officially pulled the plug on the game over a decade ago, and modders kept the game alive.

I think that people like models really would keep KSP alive; Even if the devs pulled the plug on it.

Let me expand on my point: unlike KSP, which by virtue of being a sandbox game has practically infinite replayability even without mods installed, AvP2's replayability comes from the multiplayer, which if not for modders would have been completely killed when Sierra shut its servers, since the stock game only supported them.

So, even if all KSP devs and modders pulled the plug, you'd still have a working and practically infinitely replayable game on your hands.

7 hours ago, DirkLarien said:

This just sums it up.

We were here lot sooner and we have seen bit better days.

Its not that i want to see more from the squad .... not at all i am glad they stopped with the development.

Now modders can finally work with something stable....problem is some of those modder have not came back yet. :-(

other then that am good.

....but you should have seen it back in those days.... it was exploding here.

Well yeah so I've only been here for a year. My point is that there is a difference between exploding like my ships (you should see the Archimedes self destruct. Tis a thing of beauty) and settling down for a long haul and a good long life. KSP IMHO is pretty steady and I'm happy with my version and mods. KSP reached a nice middle age and is able to keep going for a long time. 

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Ok, good point... but the OP did a less-than-stellar job in argumenting his position.

• A lot of mods are abandoned. Well, yes. The game is three years older. Of course there are more abandoned mods because abandoned mods rarely ever get un-abandoned, so the collection of them continues to grow over time. But: there are also more mods alive. More than in 2013, I dare say
  • Lack of updates between 1.0 and 1.1. Ironically, 1.0 was the version that saw the most (3rd digit) updates of any version of KSP.
  • Devnotes become boring. Aside from the extremely subjective nature of that assessment, did we even have weekly devnotes back in 2013? I'm not saying we didn't but I cannot really remember. And if I can't remember, how exciting were those devnotes back then?

Based on a solid definition (unreasonably perhaps, but solid) one can come up with good argumentation that development seems to have hit a dead end right now. I just don't see that argumentation surface in the post.

So what? How does that give you the excuse to jump on him? I have my personal opinion, stated above, but I'm not offended by someone having a different one. Just because he may not be able to express his arguments the best (it seems rather obvious to me that he has English as a second language) does not invalidate his point. You guys have valid points too, just why do you need to pick on the OP. Also 1.0 having the most third digit updates of any version? Hello .20 through .25? I don't really have that much of a problem with your arguments, in fact I agree, but why is everyone jumping on him? Just because you disagree doesn't mean that you have to jump on the bandwagon. I'm sure by now that the OP gets that the majority of the community disagrees with him. Why continue to beat a dead horse?

3 minutes ago, monstah said:

lol I know what your point was, I just find the quantity ironic.

5 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

I've been here since 0.17, and joined the forums in the 0.90 days. KSP has never been dead. KSP is not, and will not be for quite some time, dead. 

I personally agree, but once again, everyone and their cousin has stated this.

And shoot I'm out of likes again...

A single player game cannot truly die. 

It can cease to be updated,  then it can cease to be supported,  and eventually,  the mod community can cease to be active, but so long as you have the ability to emulate an operating system that it works on,  or can never actually die. 

I mean,  heck,  to cease to be updated means nothing at all.  That point in a game's development is what used to be referred to as "launch".