How to use Multiple Experimental Storage Units

Basically what it says on the tin; I'm trying to abuse the new Experimental Storage Units (ESUs).

Intention: Use a single lander to go to 9 biomes on Minmus, gathering all my science data.  I want to grab 3 copies of everything (surface, eva, therm, etc.).  Room for the Scientist is already available. 

The problem I'm running into is the ESUs want to steal from each other before they take from the science equipment.  So right now my only option seems to be to manually collect the science with my scientist and stuff it directly into the ESU, once each, then a third set for the main hold.  As far as I can tell order of parts doesn't matter.

Am I missing some simple trick to make this work?

when you right click on a device that has results, you should have an option to transfer it followed by clicking on the unit you want it to go to, just like transfer crew.  so then you would transfer it to the one you want, and never use the collect all, as that would take everything from other units aswell.

unless im tired and miss thinking it lol i havent done it that way but that was my thinking after seeing transfer data but not being able to jebs pod. really wish i could do that making the storage unit redundant for manned mission.

Edited by DD_bwest

• 2 months later...

I was just trying to do this too, getting confused and then frustrated. Seems like there is no fully functional work around currently, since I couldn't transfer crew reports manually (from a Mk1 lander can) to a storage unit. (And the units ignore cross-feed restrictions, that might have been a handy fix, connecting units via couplers.)

In my opinion, "collect all" should not take experiments from other storage units at all. This function very quickly creates a jumbled mess that can take a lot of time to figure out. Also, there is a dedicated function for transferring between them anyway, so I'd call that the 'bug', rather than just changing the priority of checking.

Edited by Z3R0Gravitas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.