KSP Weekly: Farewell John Glenn...

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ohy10pzp2Z1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! Yesterday we heard the sad news of John Glenn’s passing, a true hero that inspired generations and continues to do so with his legacy and achievements. Here at the KSP HQ we mourn and honour him. But despite the sad news, we also released our latest patch this week, which always means a lot of work. Without further ado, let’s begin!

As we’ve mentioned in previous editions of KSP weekly, we have been working on some awesome new things which are still in the design phase. We’re sure you’ll really enjoy it, but we are unable to say much publicly about it, yet… You all just have to be patient. But we think that patience will pay off!

This week the QA team had a quite a lot on their plate, testing, cleaning up and verifying fixes for the successful 1.2.2 release. Aside from that, localization testing continues at a frantic pace to ensure that all characters fit properly and that the keyboard layouts work properly for all languages.

To wrap the QA activity log, Sal vager, one of our dear colleagues, wrote this small poem, what does he mean, I wonder?

Testing of secrets
New things and old
Things of a nature
That cannot be told
Changes are coming
Something that might
For most of us be
An interesting sight
:wink:

Likewise on the programming front, the team spent this week polishing up the fixes in 1.2.2 as well as on localization efforts. As you can imagine there are more than a few strings in the game that need translation :wink:

Some of these efforts include finishing up the contract backstory tweaks and working on the name generator for kerbals in other languages. This consisted of parsing a text file to create probability tables in each language - these indicate the probability of a letter following another letter. Something that says the letter A has 50% chance of being followed by E and 50% of being followed by F, and so forth, which is then used to build names that suit the language style. We are trying to make it work with all languages using different alphabets, and can then get these lists looked at for feedback from the translators helping us with the other texts. Additionally we have been working on some visual issues regarding struts and a few minor things on the tracker.

These are some examples of some names of our generator (remember these are randomly generated), any comments are greatly appreciated:

French

German

Portuguese

Spanish

Russian

Ninise Kerman

Anerich Kerman

Ãosindora Kerman

Anarilia Kerman

Нарари Kerman

Hindiss Kerman

Elena Kerman

Indonta Kerman

Cindalel Kerman

Илельд Kerman

Érerical Kerman

Arenenic Kerman

Onaloros Kerman

Ndonanilo Kerman

Сарилан Kerman

Ralanie Kerman

Genichena Kerman

Orontaro Kerman

Iaron Kerman

Лильдо Kerman

Onisan Kerman

Anarelin Kerman

Calira Kerman

Roniar Kerman

Силана Kerman

Janend Kerman

Yerereler Kerman

Salesi Kerman

Tenaro Kerman

Ьдара Kerman

Çoisen Kerman

Sthole Kerman

Ereinte Kerman

Ñoreleza Kerman

Анарин Kerman

Licheten Kerman

Ästichone Kerman

Araran Kerman

Ianarilo Kerman

Ниленил Kerman

Iellal Kerman

Innan Kerman

Ironton Kerman

Torani Kerman

Рананияни Kerman

Enete Kerman

Olenn Kerman

Narira Kerman

Rilaron Kerman

Килел Kerman

The art team has been very busy too, creating images for the various winter sales KSP is going to have, fun things like wallpapers and papercrafts, which we hope you’re collecting, and there was work on some other things, that we can’t talk about publicly yet.

Remember the Kerbals Around The World Contest? These were the 5 most voted entries. Congratulations to the winners! Your rewards are coming your way!

tumblr_inline_ohy1n5ZjUX1rr2wit_540.jpg

On another note, next week we celebrate our 5th anniversary and Christmas is coming up, so we decided to do something special as a way to say “Thank You!” to all KSP players.On December 12th at 17:00 UTC we will be launching the “KriSPmas Present Delivery” Event! Learn more about it here!

Finally, we to remind you that the Kerbal Kalendar initiative goes on, where we will be uploading little collectibles in our forum. You can learn learn more about it here and there will be great giveaways for you as well! We will make all the collectibles available again after the contest is over.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

What would really make my day is axial tilt, or maybe even clouds. The poem seems to say that something visually is coming are way in 1.2.3 (which would be my KSP anniversary, started 0.23) or 1.2, which I can wait for, because Sal seems to say that it will be worth it. It better. 

41 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

What things do you think are coming?

stuff such as trees. Planet looking stuff eyecandy stuff procedurally generated stuff clouds,scattering and whatnot

use your imagination. This  link  all made with unity. How do you imagine Kerbin or the other planets to look? Artists need something to do right? Or maybe its terraforming or liveable domes! They still in design phase..so...give them some ideas. Blow up the thread :Ptumblr_static_5m42vqmjnxss4ww4oowo4ko4o.

Edited by Redneck

"New things and old" seems to imply that a feature that once was in the game and was removed, or a feature spoken of and never implemented. New things is probably something along the lines of a terrain overhaul, I'm thinking we may get GP2. 

51 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Something that might
For most of us be
An interesting sight

These lines seem to speak directly to the nature of the surprise, and imply that either not everybody will be able to see it, or that not everybody who sees it will find it interesting. In my opinion, this supports the idea of a new planet that is difficult to get to, such as a large-ish exoplanet (think Planet X from our real life Solar System). 

My theory is also based on last week's dev-notes, in which was said that "new horizons" were in store.  While this could have been in reference to the huge overturn of SQUAD staff, I think it was a not-too-subtle hint that we're getting a new planet. 

Just now, LordKael said:

"New things and old" seems to imply that a feature that once was in the game and was removed, or a feature spoken of and never implemented. New things is probably something along the lines of a terrain overhaul, I'm thinking we may get GP2. 

These lines seem to speak directly to the nature of the surprise, and imply that either not everybody will be able to see it, or that not everybody who sees it will find it interesting. In my opinion, this supports the idea of a new planet that is difficult to get to, such as a large-ish exoplanet (think Planet X from our real life Solar System). 

My theory is also based on last week's dev-notes, in which was said that "new horizons" were in store.  While this could have been in reference to the huge overturn of SQUAD staff, I think it was a not-too-subtle hint that we're getting a new planet. 

Yes pls GP2. They flirted with it a long time ago, I think 1.2.3/1.3 may be the time for it.

7 minutes ago, LordKael said:

Yep that fits as well...hummm and it would be easier to do than my idea

Edited by Redneck

Just now, HoloYolo said:

None at all. I do think that we might get a new body further out.

To be honest, we really needed a new Gas Giant. Like OPM's Sarnus.

Well, as of last week, I've landed and returned from every body in the stock game, and I try to avoid too intense of a mod load out. I, personally, am in a great place for GP2 and a new suite of moons. That may have contributed rather heavily to my interpretation, but I really don't see any major objective flaws in my argument, particularly since they're being so secretive.... High level of secrecy means it's a big thing, at least to me.

I appreciate all developers for KSP new version.

Every time KSP was updated, I feel KSP has really advanced since I first played it, no doubt.

There is something I want to confirm. Are the corresponding languages as French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Russian? if you mention it, I and we need to restart our stopped localisation.

I express regret and grief for the passing away of John Glenn.

Edited by EBOSHI
add about localisation

For generated names
In Russian no word can be started from "Ь" or "Ъ". This letters have no sound at all. They used to make previous letter softer or harder. 
Also names with 1 name in cyrillic and second in latin makes name a bit more strange and looks loke "google-translated". Maybe translate "Kerman" as "Керман"?

Awesome! The German names are very cool, they have a hint of Russian and Swedish in them, I think. Keep up the good work! Many German names are transcriptions from traditional Hebrew, Greek or Latin names, you might want to look into that, too :-)

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd love to get some of those "localized" names in my roster. Any chance we could enable or disable each language for our saves, independently of each other?

^^ This

Or maybe 80% of the roster should have name from the player's country and the other 20% a random name from country that share the same alphabet ?

Cherry on the cake will be for @Athlonic to make "localized kerbish sound" for his great Chatterer :wink:

Edited by Li0n

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.