KSP Weekly: Farewell John Glenn...

SQUAD

8 hours ago, Nitrous Oxide said:

Lol, people complaining about the other language names... w t f.

We get excrements like "Doodman" Kerman in English, who cares?

You probably don't speak any other languages, so you may not realize what people are saying is that those names are more like the equivalent of "Glbroben" or "Homnting" or anything else that can be spelled with english characters but doesn't even sound like English. "Doodman" is fine. There's "dude", and there's "man". It sounds more English than "Lebowski", and that one is legit.

(I'm pretty sure it'll improve, tho)

The German names are horrible. None of them sounds german. If you want german names they should be like Hans, Kurt, Heinrich, Gustav, Stefan, Mathias, Alfred, Ernst, Manfred, Holger, Werner, Hermann, Ludwig, Anton for male and Stefanie, Gabi, Waltraud, Christine, Ruth, Brunhilde, Charlotte, Verna, Mona, Britta, Hildegard, Ute, Tanja, Gisela for female Kerbals.  The one you generated just doesn't sound like any german name at all, and trust me, my wife and I, we read a lot of books of names before the birth of our children. 

Does "Frantrude" sound like an English name? I don't think so. These names should be pronounceable, and they should have some flavor of the language to which they supposedly belong, but they needn't be actual names. Those go in the "proper" name category.

Although I do think the letter-by-letter method is more trouble than it's worth. A two-syllable composite is just fine, and has worked well enough since kerbals other than the Big Three were introduced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.