[1.4.1] Take Command Continued- Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the old Take Command mod, written by @seanmcdougall.  The old thread is here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/108711-112-take-command-launch-kerbals-in-external-command-seats-v141-may-6-2016/&page=1

Take Command

Take Command enhances the External Command Seat so you can now assign crew to it from within the VAB/SPH just like any other command module. Just add one or more command seats to your ship, assign crew as usual, and launch! Your Kerbal crew will automatically spawn and jump into their assigned seats.

Source Code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/TakeCommand

SpaceDock:  http://spacedock.info/mod/1112/TakeCommandContinued

License:  GPLv3

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

zMPUluul.png

zxIt655l.png

CBPBJzXl.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

LGG once again you have proven the impossible is possible! I'm curious - was it some fix that made it into v1.2.2 of KSP that made this mod feasible again or did you and/or other contributors figure out what the problem was that made it tough to bring forward from earlier versions?

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

LGG once again you have proven the impossible is possible! I'm curious - was it some fix that made it into v1.2.2 of KSP that made this mod feasible again or did you and/or other contributors figure out what the problem was that made it tough to bring forward from earlier versions?

Wish I could take credit for it, but this fix was actually done by @GFX5000i, you can read about it in the previous thread.  I just tested it, packaged it up and released it.

Tried Take Command Continued last night on KSP 1.2.1 and it works perfectly! The Pilot is in the seat when the plane spawns on the runway, just like it should.

Great job Linuxgurugamer!

On 12/12/2016 at 11:52 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Wish I could take credit for it, but this fix was actually done by @GFX5000i, you can read about it in the previous thread.  I just tested it, packaged it up and released it.

Nice, so you decided to run the QA handling and packaging of the mod.

p.s. I see, so you simply moved the actions of the mod to before physics initialize.  I thought of something along the same lines, but I didn't know how it could be done, or if it would be possible.  It's cool to see that someone else came up with the same solution, as well as a way to implement it fully.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar stuff.

Hey @linuxgurugamer I have a question, I ask this for 2 reasons; 1 I love this little mod, and I would like to slightly broaden it's functionality, and 2 I'm still learning with regards to .cfg files, and if this works I'll be thrilled :)

The EAS-316 "Meadowlark" Observation Pod aka SXTmeadowlark in "SXT Continued" mod (that I just figured out you are the one continuing!!)  has two external command seats in it, and they have the same module, "KerbalSeat" just like the Squad external command seat... Can we assign crew to them in the editor with a little tweak of the .cfg file?

In the TakeCommand.cfg file, this is what it says:

@PART[seatExternalCmd]:FOR[TakeCommand]
{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    //INTERNAL
    //{
    //      name = GenericSpace1
    //}
}

BUT

Would something like this work better? I'm testing it now to see if it works.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KerbalSeat]:FOR[TakeCommand]]
{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    //INTERNAL
    //{
    //      name = GenericSpace1
    //}
}

11 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

It almost works :(

you can assign one crew member, but when you launch, he doesn't sit... he just freaks out and gets ejected... sometimes very forcefully :(

ok, I'll take a look at it.  Could you open an issue on Github about this?

I'll have to look at the meadowlark config to understand what's going on 

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.