Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

58 minutes ago, ggargioni said:

Oh mannn!! What a dream that is. For me in PS4 i did on career mode only saving on usb flashdrive every 4h. No saves on VAB and no more than 2 vessels flying. Lots of crashes and lots of corrupted saves. If im not mistake, xbox had an update after game release, we at PS4 had none. 

As nice as it sounds, it's not very good. Career mode is still broken to holy hell, and Science mode still suffers from corruption. My Science mode save will not let me quicksave or quickload. The game also gets very laggy after a certain point, and it gets excruciatingly hard to build craft because of it. 

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

That's odd then. I'm playing on the Xbox One version, and I recently sent a probe swarm to the Jool system to get atmospheric and surface readings from all of the moons. It worked beautifully, and got over 8,000 science from the mission. 

On a side note, my VAB and SPH have over 50 craft saved, including an XB-70 with over 230 parts. Aside from high lag when flying at high speed, I don't experience crashes. If anyone wants proof, I'll upload images tonight.

I'm also on Xbox one, and recently my saves have been safe, although i do tend to have to reload only from the KSC otherwise it loads the wrong save.

No, my problems focus on functionality, such as: patch conics failure, B button functions failure (right mouse for the pc crowd) so I'm unable to highlight modules to transfer fuel around or do science experiments, and complete shut downs of the pause menu functions, so i cant quicksaves, load or return to the KSC not to mention the inability to switch between ships using LS + left/right dpad regardless of how close the ships are together.

Now i will admit these aren't as bad as the Ps4 constantly losing saves and therefore never making any progress but it's still caused me to turn off the game in frustration.

However, i still hope that squad/blitworks will take there time and make sure the new version is absolutely as good and stable as it could possibly be before releasing it to us because nothing could possibly kill the console version as much as having a highly anticipated patch/expansion crashing within moments of release. I just wish (as many of us do) communication was better.

43 minutes ago, Broke dead dogg said:

I'm also on Xbox one, and recently my saves have been safe, although i do tend to have to reload only from the KSC otherwise it loads the wrong save.

No, my problems focus on functionality, such as: patch conics failure, B button functions failure (right mouse for the pc crowd) so I'm unable to highlight modules to transfer fuel around or do science experiments, and complete shut downs of the pause menu functions, so i cant quicksaves, load or return to the KSC not to mention the inability to switch between ships using LS + left/right dpad regardless of how close the ships are together.

Now i will admit these aren't as bad as the Ps4 constantly losing saves and therefore never making any progress but it's still caused me to turn off the game in frustration.

However, i still hope that squad/blitworks will take there time and make sure the new version is absolutely as good and stable as it could possibly be before releasing it to us because nothing could possibly kill the console version as much as having a highly anticipated patch/expansion crashing within moments of release. I just wish (as many of us do) communication was better.

Yep. Same here. My crafts and missions are good, but I have physics issues, the B button issue, loss of quicksaves and quickloads, non functional asteroid docking, and most irritatingly the non-respawning Orange Suit Kerbals (Jeb, Valentina, etc.).

I'm just hoping I can keep my saved craft...

If I remember correctly, there was a patch released a while ago for the Xbox One that helped a bit but obviously didn't solve all the problems. The patch didn't get released on PS4 because it didn't help at all. So the Xbox version should actually be more stable than the PS4 one at the moment.

There's a fundamental difference between a desktop release and a console release.

A desktop released can be pushed when the publisher decides it's good enough to invest the resources in pushing a new release (or patch).

A console release has to first pass the publisher's decision and then the evaluation by the respective console company.

The latter is (in this case bizarrely) put in place to protect console users from dodgy games and patches.

If there's a gamebreaking issue in a desktop download, the publisher can push a hotfix within 24h (roughly), while the same hotfix will have to pass the QA-process of each console company which can take anything from 24h to 3 months ... (or more if the any of the console companies decides that the hotfix doesn't meet their quality standards).

It doesn't get easier for console KSPers since the main studio (Squad) isn't doing the console development as it's outsourced to (well established and in good reputation) Blitworks.

So if you think that Squad's official channels are dancing a very careful dance between what they want to say, what they can say and what they dare to say you are 100% correct.

Edited by Curveball Anders

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, AlamoVampire said:

To be fair, had you read my later posts concerning point 1, I clearly stated, and shall again: I either misremembered what I read or read something wrong on that point. I then conceded it to the first person who corrected it.

Now <takes a deep calming breath> @Warzouz Please understand me. You think my statements are justifications. They are emphatically not. They are truth, they are fact. Allow me to reiterate:

Fact: Squad is a SMALL operation that (not sure if still connected to the parent corp) at its start when Felipe started KSP was a Commercial Advertising Company, most likely still is, that makes games on the side or in a newly formed subdivision. They run on a microscopic budget with a small team for a game house. Especially when compared to titans like Square-Enix, EA, DICE, Microsoft etc. 

Fact: Blitworks or Flying Tiger (still unclear on who is porting) is working multiple projects.

Fact: Porting is time intensive, expensive, complicated. 

Fact: KSP is being translated (every aspect of that word applies) to multiple languages, both in terms of what is spoken by us humans and computer devices. This takes time. 

Fact: this causes bugs in the extreme. A fix for a bug on PC may break something for both XB1 AND PS4. This isn't easy even when you do like say Square-Enix and FFXIV for XB1, PS4, PC AND iOS on MAC, and they have tremendous amounts of money. Squad doesn't. The company doing the port doesn't in all likely hood. 

This list can go on ad infinitum but, the bottom line?

Its a slow, expensive, complicated process. Either accept it or don't. I have said all I am willing to say on this.

More excuses.  If you are incapable of producing something, then don't bother trying.  Half-assing something is worthless.

8 hours ago, Deddly said:

@Renegade Gray,

There was a bit of information posted in the latest KSP Weekly (sorry I can't post a link from my mobile)

You know it's bad when I hear a "bit of information", and I actually think it's just a series of 8 0's and 1's...

That's pretty much all I've come to expect from my experience here.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Wouldn't that be a byte rather than a bit?

Oh crap. Autocorrect did it again. it doesn't realize that "byte" is the proper spelling...

Thanks for pointing that out. 

Maybe if we're lucky, can get a kilobyte soon. That'd be a change!

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Dj-D0M0 said:

@Deddly, if you could do so. I would appreciate that....I didnt know where to find the tech support page. Thank you in advance. 

It wont matter, we were left here with just waiting. They have all the information for almost a year now, your issues are the same with all players in ps4 (same here). Ive openned this tech form request on oct16 and as expected they dont reply. I really hope they fix this as soon as possible and is in this post that we will know about this patch. 

On ‎26‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 0:01 AM, LegendaryAce said:

So, this coming May, we move from "Early 2017" to "Mid 2017". Who knows, maybe we'll catch a glimpse of it at E3!

Disgrace with console versions continues the second year yet.

Well, recently my save that didn't delete itself that I had over 100 hours on finally deleted itself. Get this, it deleted itself after I terminated the used boosters in orbit around Kerbin when I was trying to alleviate some lag. what!?

So I am utterly done with this garbage game. My iOS game "Space Simulator", runs better than this crap, and I can actually get further than the Moon! 

Indeed, this went from 'usual shoddy bug-ridden release' to 'utter farce' some time ago.
9 months, 13 days and counting since @SQUAD dropped this fat turd, and it's still stinking.

This is ridiculous, when is it going to be fixed?

I don't even own a console, and I firmly believe a full refund for anyone who purchased this mess is long overdue.

If @SQUAD is working on a reputation for buggy, poorly tested, rushed releases, this will work nicely.
If it goes unfixed much longer they'll get the "doesn't give a fat rodent's behind now that they have your money" badge too.

Edited by steve_v

This isn't really the place to find the most up-to-date information about the situation. Keep an eye on the KSP weekly posts. The latest information is:

Blitworks continues at a very rapid pace with the console builds and our testers are throwing everything at them with rigorous testing. There are important improvements in the control schemes, UI, and general gameplay that are all in focus while we test the achievement progress system on each platform. Save integrity continues to be at the forefront of our minds, and thankfully there’s nothing to report on this matter.

But they always just say the same thing "Were working on it" or "progress has been made" we get a list of whats broken with the game but never a list of whats fixed or whats left to be fixed i just feel like if they nail down a SOLID TRUTHFULL release  date everyone would chill out and just wait. And ksp weekly while it does have some usefull info for consoles, its few and far between. Im to the point that this game becoming complete for consoles seems like a distant dream come on squad give your FANS some hope, cuz thats all these angry posts are is a bunch of let down die-Hard Fans. 

Edited by jake867