The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

21 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

and I have no clue how I survived this.

Lucky your bananana didn't split ^_^

I got stuck...IN THE SHADE !, no more power, sun is going down behind the mountain, guess I'll have to spend the night here...

Hdp1zWO.png

DAKAAAARRRRRRRRR !!!!!

Edited by Triop

10 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Definitely get in on this buddy ... It's a whole hell of a lot of fun

And a motorcycle you say ... hmmm, might be possible in a stock entry

Imma gonna investigate this :wink:

Tried it, looked good, drived terrible. ^_^

3Y8iVEI.png

18 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

ARGH! Another wheel failure! I mean I know that this is a challenging track, but we HAVE to find a way to keep that from happening!

How are your damper settings?

17 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Might ruin the aesthetic, but what about using a bunch of the smallest plane landing gear (the little caster one), and turning their friction way down?

Those are pretty weak. I use the smallest retractable.

First (ugly) draft ... it's powered by 1.2 Juno, giving it a top speed and acceleration comparable with mine, 176 km/h, 0 - 100 km/h in 10 seconds. It's got a real body structure underneath the panelling made out of Vernor engines so it's pretty safe in an accident.

While I'm typing this, the car is driving unattended and without control, during the first stage at full speed.

Correction ... just passed the first flag in 15 minutes. Not bad for a standard road car ;-)

aiygDw5.png

LMotQn2.png

The real car is a Citroën BX 19 GT from 1985, I've replaced the 1.9 petrol engine and manual 5-speed with a 1.8 turbodiesel, 4-speed automatic, his name is Flying Frankenstein.

7 minutes ago, Azimech said:

-snip-

You know, after watching Triops' Dakar video, my various Kerbal-type designs are less attractive. Seeing the cars they used in the first 2-3 years of the real Dakar, I certainly can't bring myself to use jet engines. Of course, not judging those who will, but I think the juice will be sweeter having finished with a real-world analogue type of vehicle. 

I guess I'll be finishing a proper texture for FrogStomp :) .

6 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

You know, after watching Triops' Dakar video, my various Kerbal-type designs are less attractive. Seeing the cars they used in the first 2-3 years of the real Dakar, I certainly can't bring myself to use jet engines. Of course, not judging those who will, but I think the juice will be sweeter having finished with a real-world analogue type of vehicle. 

I guess I'll be finishing a proper texture for FrogStomp :) .

Depends on how you use jet engines ;-)

Do you build a cannon with fantasy performance or something I'm doing right now, trying to mimic real life performance. 

If I would go fully electric, I wouldn't be able to do that, man those wheels are weak! And even with this 1.2 Juno, I can't drive straight up a mountain

18 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Depends on how you use jet engines ;-)

Do you build a cannon with fantasy performance or something I'm doing right now, trying to mimic real life performance. 

If I would go fully electric, I wouldn't be able to do that, man those wheels are weak! And even with this 1.2 Juno, I can't drive straight up a mountain

No I'm with you, there. But I don't want to spend forever developing a drivetrain just yet. Lord knows I'm too damn picky to use someone else's, and too indecisive to make my own haha. 

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Yeah the best I can do with mine is a 42 degree climb, then the motors run out of steam.

But......that's still not bad. Just have to do some switchbacks in the mountains.

Hey, what mod are people using for the strut-like frames?  I've looked for a mod like that FOREVER but had no idea there was one!   (Also, this talk of petrol/diesel engines?   Is this a mod now?)

Edited by Slam_Jones

16 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I don't know about the damper. I think that the higher the number is, the less the car is going to sink? Or is that the spring?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

Have fun, good read :-)

2 hours ago, Triop said:

Ready for some stage 2 training ^_^

J1ch1cc.png

I see that sun and think ...

52741e71e691b26ed0aec59e_736.jpg

If it were called "Teletubbie Space Program" they easily would've collected all the weirdos on the planet by now. Tsss ... Such underachievers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.