[1.2.2] Real Solar System Visual Enhancements v1.2.2-RC4 [2017-09-03]

Phineas Freak

1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

Don't be, we all have to start from somewhere!

The Mod key depends on the OS used. If you are on Windows or Linux then it is the "Alt" key. On Mac i think it is called the "Option" key. Pressing that key, in conjuction with the zero on the keyboard (note: zero {0} and not the character {O}) while in the Space Center/Tracking Station/Flight scene will open the EVE GUI.

Thank you :)

Hello everybody !

I am French so forgive my English please.

I've been trying to run RSSVE for 3 weeks and despite some obvious improvements I still have no clouds.
I followed the procedures given to Micky but without results.

Could you help me please.
This mod looks too good to be able to do without;)

@Nathangun the other Option, i've chosen, is to edit the file \GameData\RSSVE\Clouds\clouds.cfg There is a section for each cloud layer. I just copied the OBJECT-Section named "EarthCloudsLow", renamed it to EarthClouds2000 and changed speed to 25 and altitude to 2000. As cloud layers are just single dds images movin' around the globe, my low cloud image is now movin' twice around the globe with different speeds. The result is a pretty simple illusion of changing cloud sizes and forms.

@Phineas Freak While trying to get good clouds i thought about sizes of dds-textures of clouds and earth surface. For example EarthHeight.dds is 8192x4096px. This means a single pixel near equator is somewhat about 4,9km x 9,8km. Pretty unprecise. Even a change to 16384 x 16384 px would result in 2,5km x 2,5km. This might be a little better, but is still the length of a complete runway. So i digged a little deeper. An uncompressed EarthHight.dds is already 128MB. Modern graphic adapters are able to handle compressed files, but when using 16384 x 16384 you already have to compress 1024MB. And thats not a problem in Unity but for graphic adapters. All common graphic cards and chips have this hardware limit of max texture size like my GTX 780ti http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu/db/index.php?id=23998 This is also the limit for ATI and even Intels HD4xxx. Older Cards like Geforce 9800GT had a limit of 8192x8192. So in conclusion, even if you find a card supporting more than 16384px, it would only work on this card and crash for most users out there.

6 hours ago, Heady978 said:

@Nathangun the other Option, i've chosen, is to edit the file \GameData\RSSVE\Clouds\clouds.cfg There is a section for each cloud layer. I just copied the OBJECT-Section named "EarthCloudsLow", renamed it to EarthClouds2000 and changed speed to 25 and altitude to 2000. As cloud layers are just single dds images movin' around the globe, my low cloud image is now movin' twice around the globe with different speeds. The result is a pretty simple illusion of changing cloud sizes and forms.

Ha, clever, thank you.

@sDaZe I agree, looks brilliant. Any interest in sharing your changes, either by Github PR, or just by pastebin? I understand a hesitancy to post them generally, since that always results in requests for support. If you were to past them to a pastebin say, @Phineas Freak and others of us who work on RSSVE could see what we could learn from them and make sure support requests don't fall on you.

8 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

@sDaZe I agree, looks brilliant. Any interest in sharing your changes, either by Github PR, or just by pastebin? I understand a hesitancy to post them generally, since that always results in requests for support. If you were to past them to a pastebin say, @Phineas Freak and others of us who work on RSSVE could see what we could learn from them and make sure support requests don't fall on you.

All of the changes were from my mod, which is SSRSS. But that is currently being reworked :P 

20 hours ago, winged said:

I think that stock RSS Saturn ring should be replaced with this one. It's just a matter of replacing one file with another one. Nothing hard to do.

It is not difficult to use custom textures and replace the existing ones from RSS but i would prefer to include them into the official RSS releases instead of "locking" them within a mod that not many players can use. If @sDaZe wants and feels OK to do so, he can make a PR to the RSS git to make the new ring texture (and any other textures) available for everyone, as @stratochief66 mentioned.

@Heady978 I have done testing with higher resolution textures for RSS and it is not worth it with the current texture loading system and RSSVE. The max texture resolution is also limited by the OS installed (Windows with DX can do 16K, Mac/Linux with OpenGL can only do 8K). A better solution, at least for RSSVE, is to use cube maps:

The CubeTheSphere program can convert the current textures into cube maps and use 8K textures for each separate face of the "cube".

Hey @sDaZe, I forgot about the fact that I started from your mod "SSRSS", and still have the aurora (from an old update, not sure if you still use it), and two cloud textures for venus in my upload. I don't really plan on working with other planets apart from Earth, Mars, the moon and Mercury. I was so focused on getting the mod out, I missed removing or changing those textures. If you want, I can cancel my upload and remove them. My internet is extremely slow (12 hours to upload and fails often) so I'm hoping you'll give me the green light. I can state it on my page that those are your textures, give credit, and remove them in the next update.

@Phineas Freak I was wondering if I could use your mod as a base. Ultimately I would like E.T. to be an extension of other visual mods, for those who have a strong graphics card and decent ram. I don't plan on doing all the planets apart from Earth, Mars, the moon and Mercury. I would also like to extend on @sDaZes SSRSS, as I have some people who are asking if I will. On my page I'll have multiple downloads  (E.T.O - RSSVE extension, E.T.O - SSRSS extension e.t.c) although I'm not sure if 16k - 32k textures will Improve SSRSS much, it definitely Improves RSS. Also I'll list whomever s mod I build upon as main contributors to E.T.O. If not, that's okay. People will just have to deal with most E.T. bodies being stock lol, too much work for me.

10 minutes ago, winged said:

@Phineas Freak @sDaZe btw. those rings were originally created by @pingopete .I remember that they were part of RVE version for KSP 0.90.

Those rings are not from RSS. They were from a pack that @sDaZe purchased a while back, but they do look alike. Probably because you can only skin a cat so many ways.

2 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

Hey @sDaZe, I forgot about the fact that I started from your mod "SSRSS", and still have the aurora (from an old update, not sure if you still use it), and two cloud textures for venus in my upload. I don't really plan on working with other planets apart from Earth, Mars, the moon and Mercury. I was so focused on getting the mod out, I missed removing or changing those textures. If you want, I can cancel my upload and remove them. My internet is extremely slow (12 hours to upload and fails often) so I'm hoping you'll give me the green light. I can state it on my page that those are your textures, give credit, and remove them in the next update.

@Phineas Freak I was wondering if I could use your mod as a base. Ultimately I would like E.T. to be an extension of other visual mods, for those who have a strong graphics card and decent ram. I don't plan on doing all the planets apart from Earth, Mars, the moon and Mercury. I would also like to extend on @sDaZes SSRSS, as I have some people who are asking if I will. On my page I'll have multiple downloads  (E.T.O - RSSVE extension, E.T.O - SSRSS extension e.t.c) although I'm not sure if 16k - 32k textures will Improve SSRSS much, it definitely Improves RSS. Also I'll list whomever s mod I build upon as main contributors to E.T.O. If not, that's okay. People will just have to deal with most E.T. bodies being stock lol, too much work for me.

Most of the EVE textures that are included in SSRSS are textures that I created for SVE and ported over. I am currently working on rebuilding SSRSS from the ground up. It may take a little bit as I have a kid/wife, a job and school and other mods, but a new SSRSS is under way.  Feel free to use the textures. I intend on changing all of my licenses to be free to use how ever people want because I don't  say no anyway :)

as for planet textures, that is up to @sDaZe because he owns the rights to them since he paid for them.

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Those rings are not from RSS. They were from a pack that @sDaZe purchased a while back.

Most of the EVE textures that are included in SSRSS are textures that I created for SVE and ported over. I am currently working on rebuilding SSRSS from the ground up. It may take a little bit as I have a kid/wife, a job and school and other mods, but a new SSRSS is under way.  Feel free to use the textures. I intend on changing all of my licenses to be free to use how ever people want because I can't say no :)

as for planet textures, that is up to @sDaZe because he owns the rights to them since he paid for them.

Planet textures? As in the alternative options for RSS? or all planets textures meaning the Venus cloud textures in my upload?

3 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

Planet textures? As in the alternative options for RSS? or all planets textures meaning the Venus cloud textures in my upload?

Those Venus clouds are from RSS, so fair game.

i mean the alternative options for RSS. Those are all @sDaZe

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Those rings are not from RSS. They were from a pack that @sDaZe purchased a while back, but they do look alike. Probably because you can only skin a cat so many ways.

So it looks like Pingopete purchased them from the same source because they are identical :wink:

Ahh okay, sweet. I now have the green light, time to link my upload. Even if @sDaZe doesn't let me use SSRSS as a base, (which is absolutely fine) what if I worked on an extreme version and you distributed it, with sdazes and your name on it. I don't mind, I just want to see cool visuals. That would work right? Anyway it's early days, it seems like the only restriction is the SSRSS planet textures now anyway. If you need help with anything, feel free to send a message, though I'm sure you already know everything I know, and more. I'm not very good at making textures from scratch. Thank god for NASA images, they really boosted the visuals for ksp. Cheers @Galileo

Edited by ufindbatman

1 minute ago, winged said:

So it looks like Pingopete purchased them from the same source because they are identical :wink:

Maybe.. I dunno. I'm pretty sure the one in the alternative textures was different but maybe it wasn't. It's been so long I don't remember

2 hours ago, winged said:

@Phineas Freak @sDaZe btw. those rings were originally created by @pingopete .I remember that they were part of RVE version for KSP 0.90.

Its not the same texture. I have Pete on steam and have talked to him about it.

1 hour ago, ufindbatman said:

Ahh okay, sweet. I now have the green light, time to link my upload. Even if @sDaZe doesn't let me use SSRSS as a base, (which is absolutely fine) what if I worked on an extreme version and you distributed it, with sdazes and your name on it. I don't mind, I just want to see cool visuals. That would work right? Anyway it's early days, it seems like the only restriction is the SSRSS planet textures now anyway. If you need help with anything, feel free to send a message, though I'm sure you already know everything I know, and more. I'm not very good at making textures from scratch. Thank god for NASA images, they really boosted the visuals for ksp. Cheers @Galileo

4 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

Yes, by all means you have a green light to go ahead! :)

1 hour ago, winged said:

Again, The texture isn't his and has minor differences. 

15 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Currently the only other person who has permission to use the ring texture and stuff in mods is @Galileo

I was not aware of that. In that case @Galileo must give the "go-ahead" and add it himself (if he wants) to the RSS repository.

8 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

I was wondering if I could use your mod as a base.

The license (CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0) allows it. Be aware that the current branches (master and develop) are broken though.

Speaking about textures, how do you guys/gals manage to get them anyway? Photo editing programs include some utilities of creating noise and generic cloud textures but nothing "serious", and most of the online resources are either not available directly or need a ton of editing to get them functional.

4 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

most of the online resources are either not available directly or need a ton of editing to get them functional.

I actually struggled to get a 64k texture cube-mapped (couldn't find software that could cube-map images that size), so I did it manually in Photoshop warping the textures and aligning them myself, took forever. Then I found out Blender could do it. Probably take some of you guys quick to figure it out though, I'm still newb. Drawing in the rivers and lakes on 64k is annoying, now I want to create hundreds of mini detailed clouds which sit under the 43k ones. I have a bit of time on my hands though. I will have to search deep for good textures sometimes go through hundreds of pages. Modis clouds are good.

Edited by ufindbatman

12 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

I was not aware of that. In that case @Galileo must give the "go-ahead" and add it himself (if he wants) to the RSS repository.

Technically the texture is mine, he uses it in GPP. But yeah, he can do it if he wants. 

hi guys! quick one as I am just trying out the mod now! 

is anyone aware of a memory leak probably caused by RSSVE or scatterer when RSSVE is installed? I am hitting 14 GB's of RAM usage on a vanilla + RSS + scatterer + RSSVE install (on my previous 1.1.3 install with RSS + RO + EVE & pingopete's Visual Enhancements + 100 mods I merely got up to 7-8 gigs)

there is a brief mention of a leakage in the scatterer thread but the players reported using scatterer + SSVE

many thanks in advance!

Edited by hypervelocity

15 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

hi guys! quick one as I am just trying out the mod now! 

is anyone aware of a memory leak probably caused by RSSVE or scatterer when RSSVE is installed? I am hitting 14 GB's of RAM usage on a vanilla + RSS + scatterer + RSSVE install (on my previous 1.1.3 install with RSS + RO + 100 mods I merely got up to 7-8 gigs)

there is a brief mention of a leakage in the scatterer thread but the players reported using scatterer + SSVE

many thanks in advance!

If you are on the latest scatterer v.0.3 downgrade to the version before that. It is already reported and answered in this thread here as well.