KSP Weekly: Oh merry KriSPmas!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_oib0ewQWiP1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! It’s been an exciting week full of news, events and kerbalness! Let’s dive into the details, so, without further ado, let’s begin!

Past tuesday, we released long awaited news regarding KSP on consoles, where we shared that Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2: Loud and Clear! will be released for consoles next year and that we are working hand in hand with BlitWorks to make this happen with the highest quality standards possible. We also noticed that some players had some questions that we want to answer: The non working achievements/trophies will be fixed on the next update. Blitworks is working on a new controller scheme which our QA team will be testing and giving feedback to. We are open to suggestions on the controllers, so if you have one, report it as feedback on the tracker and we will take a look at them. We will consider the possibility of adding support for keyboards, but we can’t make any promises yet.  

On other news, the QA team has been involved with lots of drilling (not the dentist), but diagnosing (via git bisect) an issue with runaway temperatures with drills on asteroids, so that the developers have all the info they need to quickly find and solve the issue. Additionally, the team has been looking at just why radiators don’t cool your spaceplane (Players Tip: pull up, you don’t need radiators), and some radiator balance suggestions from Foamyesque.  Lastly localization testing continues on all fronts.

Similarly, developers “need input” as Jonny 5 might say… and that is what some of them have been up to this week. Keyboard localization in other words. The rest of the time has been spent on checking test cases and exploring solutions to some older bugs. Planning for the next big thing has also been taking up our time. One older issue that has not been specifically mentioned in our release notes, is that of struts being left hanging in mid air in the editor.. This was in fact fixed as part of other work: Struts have been updated with a new model, you can now select both ends of the strut to relocate them and also you can tweak them individually. This also applies to the Fuel Line parts.

This week the devs have also been busy working on the name generator, taking into account the feedback you shared with us in the past KSP Weekly. Devs also worked on some pending Text Mesh Pro labels for localization and finished off the contract backstories work.

In like manner the secret design and art work continues, we’re dying to tell you what it’s cooking in the ovens, but you’ll need to be patient!

On another note, the KriSPmas Present Delivery Event continues and tomorrow we’ll have our grand finale with 10 hours of streaming content on KSPTV ! With the participation of Avera9eJoe, Akinesis Gaming and TheBeardyPenguin.

tumblr_inline_oib0gwpvNR1rr2wit_540.png

Just look at some screen captures of what has been done this week by the amazing streamers who have participated:

Million_Lights:

tumblr_inline_oib1f6GtVr1rr2wit_540.jpg

RocketPCGaming:

tumblr_inline_oib1ftnjnt1rr2wit_540.jpg

Akinesis Gaming:

tumblr_inline_oib1fzTN6N1rr2wit_540.jpg

TheReadPanda:

tumblr_inline_oib1g4UyB51rr2wit_540.jpg

Red Munchkin Gaming:

tumblr_inline_oib1gdEkZS1rr2wit_540.jpg

BagelRabbit:

tumblr_inline_oib1ghh0pN1rr2wit_540.jpg

LupiDragon:

tumblr_inline_oib1glxYs61rr2wit_540.jpg

Finally, we to remind you that the Kerbal Kalendar initiative goes on for its last week, where we will be uploading little collectibles in our forum. You can learn more about it here and there will be great giveaways for you as well! We will make all the collectibles available again after the contest is over.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

12 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

First (haven't been in a while).

Another disappointing KSP Weekly. Glad to see that things are getting fixed and the streams are going well, but what else? 

Disappointing? They seem to have switched to  a (hopefully)  competent game porting company, and are hinting at cool new stuff on the horizon. I'd call that pretty exciting.

Edited by KerbalSaver

24 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Another disappointing KSP Weekly. Glad to see that things are getting fixed and the streams are going well, but what else? 

I think we're feeling the burn from having lost pretty much all of the veteran members from the KSP team.  I set my expectations to rock-bottom for KSP to ever get any real/meaningful update in the future :(

Multiplayer?  Skybox?  Clouds? Part revamps?  I will be surprised if we ever see these things.

52 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

One older issue that has not been specifically mentioned in our release notes, is that of struts being left hanging in mid air in the editor.. This was in fact fixed as part of other work: Struts have been updated with a new model, you can now select both ends of the strut to relocate them and also you can tweak them individually. This also applies to the Fuel Line parts.

Cool, that'll be a nice one to have.

A related suggestion: when Angle Snap is on, it's easy to place the first side of the strut exactly where you want. However, the other side is always completely free-form in its placement even if you leave Angle Snap on, so you either have to zoom in and move the mouse very precisely, or just accept that there will be some structural asymmetry in your craft. It would be handy to have the option to snap both ends somehow, while still being able to opt for free-form placement by disabling Angle Snap.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:
One older issue that has not been specifically mentioned in our release notes, is that of struts being left hanging in mid air in the editor.. This was in fact fixed as part of other work: Struts have been updated with a new model, you can now select both ends of the strut to relocate them and also you can tweak them individually. This also applies to the Fuel Line parts.

Awesome news! :)

1 hour ago, KerbalSaver said:

They seem to have switched to  a (hopefully)  competent game porting company

Not a console gamer, couldn't care less. Good for the console players.

1 hour ago, KerbalSaver said:

hinting at cool new stuff on the horizon

Like what?

I feel defects of KSP in weekly news are getting lesser and issues became into more detailed. so that I expect it is an indication of next big development.

and now, ASTRONEER as a new generated space development game has come. having advanced graphics, various activities, and multiplaying. we KSP enthusiasts are having a sense of crisis that KSP would be left behind back of those new games.

I love KSP. I hope KSP will have more advanced functions and equipments. and I believe KSP has already holden possibilities!

Best wishes to all. and happy KriSPmas!

Edited by EBOSHI
Happy KriSPmas

The more the devnotes succeed, the more I think that they have no clear and defined objective. I believe the loss of the last moder made KSP lose are soul, his idea engine is down! It is sad to see that! The founders of ksp must cry!

To be continued ...

Nice quality of life improvement with the re-worked struts. Thanks Squad. 

It's little bits of polish like that that can make a big difference.

Edited by KSK

Hello the people of this post?

Anyway can someone tell me what is UTC; I never heard of that timezone (I live in the UAE) plus my family doesn't celebrate Christmas :(

I've never got to experience it :(

I never got to eat candy canes, the chicken, or put up a tree in my home :(

(Plus that santa guy is probably fake and it is just your parents buying you some sweet stuff)

Well at least people will stream so it will make it up :) 

Welp better go do something else cuz its hard to get friends and I'm such a loner :(

Thank you for anyone who actually read my feelings and feels my sympathy!

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Removed excessive quoting, don't quote everyone in the thread please.

2 hours ago, doudou said:

The more the devnotes succeed, the more I think that they have no clear and defined objective. I believe the loss of the last moder made KSP lose are soul, his idea engine is down! It is sad to see that! The founders of ksp must cry!

To be continued ...

I highly suspect that they currently don't have a full and experienced team as it is hard to hire the right people fast enough, so they're essentially having to tread water until they can get enough people. It also seems pretty clear that they are working pretty hard at getting KSP going again.

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

That was actualy great news. You don't realize it until you start to create something that needs struts.

Now, with that all effort put to make everything stiffer, we would need something to create soft connections. Again, you don't realize that you need those until you start to create something that needs it - like custom suspension on heavy rover or big aircrafts.

In the past there was issues with all joints to behave like spring, so, would be possible to create part that would behave like those buged joints from past development ? Similar as strut, but not to create stiffer conection between parts, but soft connection that would allow other parts of craft to move to certain degree, but still stay connected as one whole craft.

8 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Yup. Just the usual talk that we have had since forever about "great things coming" that turns out to be a different version of the game engine, or a fix to some bugs, or a port to another platform (Wii is overdue, it's probably that).

KSP is no longer a beta game where the developers need to maintain some secrecy. It is a released product, so they can be open. Otherwise we are just going to continue to be cynical when the next non-feature is dropped.  

46 minutes ago, How to: KSP said:

Hello the people of this post?

Anyway can someone tell me what is UTC; I never heard of that timezone (I live in the UAE) plus my family doesn't celebrate Christmas :(

UTC is Coordinated Universal Time. It's the "standard" time that all the time zones are relative to, so it's effectively the same as GMT, except... more sciencey?

KSP has only UTC for the entire planet of Kerbin, because Kerbin doesn't need time zones.

I think there are subtle differences between GMT and UTC but not for practical day-to-day purposes. Isn't UTC the one that is set by atomic clocks and has the leap-seconds, and GMT is more related to an astronomical basis, with both kept within a second or so?

It's likely that the difference really came about for people reasons. GMT not being as popular as a name everywhere because it is country-based (i.e. the hub of the universe being in London). 

1 hour ago, Frozen_Heart said:

I highly suspect that they currently don't have a full and experienced team as it is hard to hire the right people fast enough, so they're essentially having to tread water until they can get enough people. It also seems pretty clear that they are working pretty hard at getting KSP going again.

Well I'm sure you've seen my thread on the developer departure, and on it, I heard from at least two people, one a dev, that the dev team is actually bigger than it was before the big departure of those devs. Apparently SQUAD is pretty good at hiring people. And also I have heard from several authoritative sources that SQUAD hired quite a number of people before the departure was announced, knowing that with 1.2s release, a lot of turn over was going to happen. Now the people being hired is not nearly as flammable emotional fodder as much as a massive or seemingly massive departure. So it is not as well known. But you should know that my fact gathering skills are not official, nor has anything I said been confirmed by SQUAD. But I did extensive digging to get to the facts I got. So take it as you will, but the devs are apparently not lacking in numbers. Experience could be basically anything though.

But no one could ever replace HarvestR in our hearts.;.;

44 minutes ago, Foxster said:

GMT not being as popular as a name everywhere because it is country-based (i.e. the hub of the universe being in London). 

We all know that London is and always has been the true center of the universe. :wink::D 

5 hours ago, Foxster said:

Otherwise we are just going to continue to be cynical when the next non-feature is dropped.  

Yeah, how dare they continue to give us free stuff that we don't ask for? They should give us the free stuff that we do ask for. /sarcasm

As you said, KSP is a released product. They have no reason to continue to give us anything. The fact that they do is awesome. 

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Struts have been updated with a new model, you can now select both ends of the strut to relocate them and also you can tweak them individually. This also applies to the Fuel Line parts.

This is a very welcome change.

I have to ask though: have you guys fixed it so the strut and fuel line connectors no longer add an exaggerated amount of drag? Otherwise I fear that this change may actually give them double the drag, making struts and fuel lines an absolute no-no if you wish your (space)plane to ever get supersonic...

16 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Yeah, how dare they continue to give us free stuff that we don't ask for? They should give us the free stuff that we do ask for. /sarcasm

As you said, KSP is a released product. They have no reason to continue to give us anything. The fact that they do is awesome. 

Who said anything about free? I'd be more than happy to pay them for a decent DLC. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.