Self-introduction

Mitotsudaira

Hi there,

I am mito and I guess I should make a self-introduction here. Have been playing KSP for about a month and currently working on a space station on LKO in career mode.

This is a great forum and I have been reading a lot of great threads until I decided that it would be great to sign up and stay here.

Just really happy to joining and say hello to you all.

:-)

mito

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/12/17 at 6:47 PM, James Kerman said:

Greetings @Mitotsudaira and welcome to the forums.

Good news on the station, do you have any pictures?  I find having fuel storage on my stations really helps when you decide to go interplanetary.

Spoiler

Thank you @James Kerman, Happy new year! I have been out of town for a while so sorry for the delayed reply. I have finally figured out how to ravenous(?) and dock and how to insert a screenshot into the post

its not a well balanced one when it comes to COM, but I dont plan to move it anywhere else other than the current LKO so that would not be an issue i guess. Building this one from scratch is really hard but rewarding :-) and provided solid training for docking +__+

So now i am starting to planning a visit to the Mun or Minus, havent decided which one yet, but i guess its the minus?

One more question i guess: is it plausible to build a refueling station at orbit of minus? should i stick to my current LKO station?

_______

@Starhawk yeah its really a great forum, a lot of info to dig in, and there are many brilliant ideas & challengings & mods. oh and happy new year! :)

1 hour ago, Mitotsudaira said:

One more question i guess: is it plausible to build a refueling station at orbit of minus? should i stick to my current LKO station?

Yes, it is definitely doable to put a refueling station in Minmus orbit. In fact, it's something very handy to have in the mid-game, where you start to do longer, larger interplanetary missions.

Becuase of how the orbital mechanics work, it takes less fuel to go interplanetary from Minmus than it does from LKO. If you refuel at Minmus, then you can essentially ignore the fuel you used to get there. And you can always do mining on Minmus, it's really easy there.

I agree with Dman979 about the fuel.  My endgame usually Has fuel located throughout the system and Minmus, with its flats is a great place for a mining place.

Landing on Minmus is easier than the Mun.

Personally I prefer to park interplanetary ships for missions or just as fuel stations in Kerbin orbit and fuel them from Minmus.  It's cheaper in Dv to leave from Minmus to go interplanetary however Minmus has an inclined, slow orbit relative to Kerbin.  This means that transfer windows to other planets will be fewer and will usually require a plane change.