Hi folks!

VikingStormtrooper

Hi everyone! I joined this forum a few days ago, but I noticed this thread just now. It's time to present myself! :cool:

I am going to graduate in Space Engineering - just a few months remained, hopefully - at Politecnico di Milano, Italy. I have spent some years studying the incredibly complex world of rocket science, and I still have a lot to learn; I also love videogames. KSP was the most obvious consequence!

Unfortunately, I am very far from having plenty of time, but I would really like to put the knowledge acquired during these years in the creation of a mod devoted to a more realistic simulation of propellants and engines. I know that several excellent mods already exist (IFS, RealFuels, SMURFF, etc.), but I am quite ambitious, and I would like to achieve a higher level of realism. Thrust, specific impulse, oxidizer-to-fuel ratio, specific gravity, mass ratios for solid, liquid, and hybrid propellants... all these quantities are something pretty easy to implement in computer simulations - I did this during some university projects -, and it wouldn't be too hard to do in KSP. This may prove beneficial also for lovers of the RSS mod, including who is writing right now!

Who knows if I will succeed in doing this... I have the will, at least.
Nice to meet you! :kiss:

Greetings @VikingStormtrooper and welcome to the forums.

I'm really happy that you are nearly through your education and that you are doing something that the majority of us would love to do (real KSP).  I look forward to seeing your mods and I believe you will succeed in graduating.

I also hope that you will  make real rocketry more kerbal.  If I ever see ESA using a command chair on an SRB I will salute you.

Edited by James Kerman

Thanks a lot, @James Kerman!

I agree, it would be really nice to do real KSP; at the time being, I am working on a thesis work concerning the combustion of solid propellants with added nanoaluminum powder, which is one of the ways to make solid rocket engines more performing than they currently are. Going on with this even beyond the degree sounds really intriguing!

Yeah, making real rocketry more kerbal is basically the dream of every single space engineer: making this complex, expensive and exclusive world become more people-friendly, accessible, easier to manage. One day I will propose command chairs on SRBs to ESA, don't worry! :wink:

Benvenuto a bordo, @VikingStormtrooper!

As far as I know, Realism Overhaul was one of the best realism mods out there. The problem though, is that Realism Overhaul is a bit complex and has too many "requirements" to get the full experience of the mod. If you create a mod that combined some of the more "science focused" aspects of Realism Overhaul and similar mods into one easy to use mod, I'm sure the community would appreciate it. I know I would!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and I wish you the best in your studies. In bocca al lupo

On 20/12/2016 at 5:50 PM, Gianni1122 said:

Benvenuto a bordo, @VikingStormtrooper!

As far as I know, Realismwh Overhaul was one of the best realism mods out there. The problem though, is that Realism Overhaul is a bit complex and has too many "requirements" to get the full experience of the mod. If you create a mod that combined some of the more "science focused" aspects of Realism Overhaul and similar mods into one easy to use mod, I'm sure the community would appreciate it. I know I would!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and I wish you the best in your studies. In bocca al lupo

Grazie mille, @Gianni1122:)

Yeah, I knew the existence of RO, but the problem here is exactly what you said: RO is a bit too complex. In particular, if I am right, it depends on many other mods; this is one of the reasons why it was not yet updated to KSP 1.2. Managing an entire collection of mods looks very difficult. I would like to make something closer to a standalone mod, in such a way that people can choose what they are more interested in, without the need for additional parts of the simulation that would simply increase complexity beyond the desired level. I want to make an engine mod, and nothing more - also because this is my field of research! If then the user wants a more realistic simulation of heat transfer, of the atmosphere, etc., he/she is free to download RealHeat and the other mods! :wink:

Thanks, I hope I'll live up to your expectation! Crepi il lupo!

Welcome to the forums!

What i recommend doing is to make your own modpack instead of getting RO if the complexity is a problem. Sure, it would be still pretty complex, but still a bit easier to handle. You should also make sure some other mods are compatible with other mods. Realfuels for example does not support everything, but with RO it shouldn't be that big of a problem probably. Just suggestin'

Have a nice stay!