Frank from twitch (new)

Frankp2491

Hello all, 

So my name is Frank, older undergrad student in computer science and physics. I am in love with this game I saw it on twitch yesterday and needed to get it. So I played the demo yesterday hated the fact that it was much older then the version I was watching on twitch so I bought it this morning when I knew I had more time. Anyhow snowed here today so I didn't have much time during the day to play fast forward and I have been tinkering for about 3/4 hours now. I have gotten a stock rocket Kerbal X (stock) up into orbit I orbited it about 20x around in hyper speed just to make sure I could do it before trying something else. So now I want to actually try and practice some more functional applications to the game. There is obviously a ton I am still oblivious to but I figure since this isn't costing me or the US 30 trillion to blow something up I might as well learn by making mistakes. I am looking to see what else I can do to get into the game. I want to launch a base station, try and launch some probes and whatever else is possible to do on this game. 

If someone could point me in the direction of some good resources.  I am finding the that my problem in looking for the information is that I don't know how vast this game is, and so I don't even know where to technically begin. 

Since the game is still being adjusted and added-to, there are no guides to the whole game. We do have a gameplay/tutorials subforum, though, if there are specific things you would like to investigate. But really, the best way to learn KSP is to do what you are doing, and just play it. :) Start with small rockets and build larger ones as you get the hang of things. 

Welcome to the game and to the forum. 

Welcome aboard, @Frankp2491!

My advice would be to try crazy things. It's fun, and you really get an understanding of why things work this way. As an experiment, build a crazy overbuilt rocket and a regular one. Fly, compare results.

Also, you have a leg up over most new players, since you're a grad student in physics. Basically, KSP is Newtonian and Patched Conics. None of that fancy-schmancy relativity or n-body crap.

Thanks friends, yea I am enjoying this a lot. There is a lot of stuff I am 100% oblivious of, and to what it pertains. I love this game though even though I have 99% failed launches I gotta get used to it a lot haha. I will check out the link provided if you guys stumble across and good resources though let me know because as of now I am mostly confused I would say 95% confused 5% fun haha would like to narrow that margin down over time.