[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Total Rebuild

The White Guardian

18 hours ago, Axilourous said:

basically, it murders everything, doesn't crash, but takes forever to do anything, and for me, for some reason, it shows with lines everywhere just moving around(with like 0.2 fps) I'm gonna get EVE now, so that the computer can get used to lag, and so I can get used to lag

EDIT: there was a huge performance drop and now its like a 2fps takeoff and takes forever(even map view lags)

Nerf the texture quality resolution in KSP's settings then try again. That's the biggest performance impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here to give an update on the situation as to why I haven't been very active on this thread as of lately.

The thing is I recently installed GPP by @Galileo, and I must admit, I was quite blown away. "How could I ever create something that is at least comparable to this?!" I wondered.

Now, a few days later, I'm here to make an announcement. I've gotten some pointers from the best, and now I'm proud to present something that will likely continue development once Total Rebuild is out.

Meet Evolution.

Spoiler

APMp4Yy.png

And yes, that there is a skybox made by yours truly.

So, the question I'd like to ask is... continue this or not?

Edited by The White Guardian

Nicely done :) see, the way I do it isn't all that hard now is it? And just think, that's your first attempt. It took me a few months of tinkering to really find my groove and figure out what looks best. You will only get better as you continue.

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Nicely done :) see, the way I do it isn't all that hard now is it? And just think, that's your first attempt. It took me a few months of tinkering to really find my groove and figure out what looks best. You will only get better as you continue.

To be perfectly honest, I was at the verge of saying "screw all of this complicated texturework, give me good old procedural generation again" before one of the planets I'd made turned out so surprisingly well that it gave me back my DETERMINATION.

(Not sure if you get the joke :D )

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian whatever newfound cosmic creation powers you've developed to make those planets look like Galileo made them-- keep using it. :D And I say Total Rebuild should keep on coming.

I CAN FEEL THE POWER! :o

Total Rebuild is already nearing completion planet-wise. Things still on the to-do list is making a custom skybox, and making everything as procedural as possible. Making planet packs the @Galileo way certainly brings with them an amazing amount of quality, but it's also rather heavy on the system. Procedural generation and memory optimizations where possible are what I'm going for with TR, both beauty and performance-friendly. After that I'll see about pushing quality to the max.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:55 PM, The White Guardian said:

I'm here to give an update on the situation as to why I haven't been very active on this thread as of lately.

The thing is I recently installed GPP by @Galileo, and I must admit, I was quite blown away. "How could I ever create something that is at least comparable to this?!" I wondered.

Now, a few days later, I'm here to make an announcement. I've gotten some pointers from the best, and now I'm proud to present something that will likely continue development once Total Rebuild is out.

Meet Evolution.

Hide contents

APMp4Yy.png

And yes, that there is a skybox made by yours truly.

So, the question I'd like to ask is... continue this or not?

What is the fire? Is it like a galaxy in the skybox or whatever you call those other things in space(sorry not good with names, I just make stuff) or is it like one of those particle effects that ive seen in kittopia?

14 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I do believe it's one of those, a nebula or nearby minor galaxy.

It gave me an idea I am going to test out tonight.. I have some amazing nebula brushes for photoshop.. I might try to make a new skybox

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I do believe it's one of those, a nebula or nearby minor galaxy.

That is correct. It's a nebula I drew in GIMP.

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

It gave me an idea I am going to test out tonight.. I have some amazing nebula brushes for photoshop.. I might try to make a new skybox

Here's how I made mine. I treated it like a planet map with a resolution of 8192x4096 pixels.

Once you've got your skybox set up in a planet map like format, use this program to extract the six textures.

To do this, save the skybox texture as a jpg image that has no alpha channel and import it in CubeTheSphere. Set the image size to 2048x2048, and extract the six image faces. They will be generated where the original .jpg is located.

Next, open them in GIMP or Photoshop individually, flip them vertically and save as DXT5 DDS.

Lastly, rename the images. You'll see that an image X gives six images with names like X_Front, X_bottom, et cetera with X being the image name. Rename them with the following convert key:

Front = NegativeZ
Right = NegativeX
Back = PositiveZ
Left = PositiveX

Top = NegativeY
Bottom = PositiveY

For example, X_Top should be renamed to GalaxyTex_NegativeY.

I doubt you're a stranger to TextureReplacer so I think you know where to place them.

Edited by The White Guardian

Another little WIP screen of Evolution.

Spoiler

KcbYLeL.png

Total Rebuild is almost ready. I've slightly altered the workings of Total Rebuild so it'll live better alongside Evolution:

Total Rebuild: provide a unique challenge both for high and low end systems.

Evolution: provide beautiful stuff for computers that can take it.

5 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

That is correct. It's a nebula I drew in GIMP.

Here's how I made mine. I treated it like a planet map with a resolution of 8192x4096 pixels.

Once you've got your skybox set up in a planet map like format, use this program to extract the six textures.

To do this, save the skybox texture as a jpg image that has no alpha channel and import it in CubeTheSphere. Set the image size to 2048x2048, and extract the six image faces. They will be generated where the original .jpg is located.

Next, open them in GIMP or Photoshop individually, flip them vertically and save as DXT5 DDS.

Lastly, rename the images. You'll see that an image X gives six images with names like X_Front, X_bottom, et cetera with X being the image name. Rename them with the following convert key:

Front = NegativeZ
Right = NegativeX
Back = PositiveZ
Left = PositiveX

Top = NegativeY
Bottom = PositiveY

For example, X_Top should be renamed to GalaxyTex_NegativeY.

I doubt you're a stranger to TextureReplacer so I think you know where to place them.

Thanks for the tutorial.. I have already made a few skyboxes in the past so I'm no stranger to that either, but maybe you should post a tutorial somewhere on the forums. I remember when I first attempted a skybox a long time ago, I could find a tutorial.

this is what I did last night

lr2IVqR.png

Edited by Galileo

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Thanks for the tutorial.. I have already made a few skyboxes in the past so I'm no stranger to that either, but maybe you should post a tutorial somewhere on the forums. I remember when I first attempted a skybox a long time ago, I could find a tutorial.

this is what I did last night

lr2IVqR.png

Awesome stuff! And I plan on making a tutorial indeed, especially the convert key will come in handy as I had to debug it with six brightly colored textures, then logging their precise position relative to each other and their rotation.

That was a party for the eyes...

Spoiler

vUfdmA2.png IT BURNS!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. How do you come up with the names for your planets? DO you think of them in your head, a generator, or another way? cuz my planet names suck... except for a few. EDIT: NVM none are that good actually.

Edited by Axilourous

18 minutes ago, Axilourous said:

I have a question. How do you come up with the names for your planets? DO you think of them in your head, a generator, or another way? cuz my planet names suck... except for a few. EDIT: NVM none are that good actually.

I come up with them myself indeed. I actually come up with the names before the planets themselves occasionally.

Except for some cases, where the name is a pun or reference.

9 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I come up with them myself indeed. I actually come up with the names before the planets themselves occasionally.

Except for some cases, where the name is a pun or reference.

Oh, I always just think of a random name that I think most/all people will be able to pronounce, and use it. Also, how did you make that planet from the first Evolution picture?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.