Grand Tour no nukes

Jetski

Due to environmental concerns, Bill has decided to cancel the nuclear testing at KSC.  He has decided to make a Grand Tour of all the stock planets and moons, landing on every one, but without using NERVAs.  Mods used were KIS, Engineer, and Kerbal Alarm Clock

The album is pretty long, so heres the summary :)

Bill took off into LKO, and took an ion hopper to the Mun and Minmus.  Next he split the ship in half.  The first half went to the inner planets, landing on Eve with a special lander, and Gilly and Moho using ions.  All flights between planets were made in a lander can, but all landings were using command chairs to save weight.  

He made it back to Kerbin orbit barely, and had to leave the can in an elliptical orbit, taking a little ion hopper to meet the Outer planet half of the mothership for a can of gas.  Finally reassembled, he headed for Jool.

Jool he bounced around the moons, landing on Laythe with a Rapier powered spaceplane, Tylo with a custom lander.  Vall and Pol he used the core of the Tylo lander (LFO powered), and Bop with ions.  

Next he took the lander can and ion hopper to Eeloo, while sending the remaining LFO powered mothership to Duna ahead.  After visiting Eeloo and Dres, he met back up in Ike orbit, and took the remains of the Laythe plane down to Duna.

Finally, he used the last of the ions to get a Kerbin intercept, and landed the Tylo lander core powered landing on top of the VAB.  Victory!

Photo Album

3 hours ago, Jetski said:

Due to environmental concerns, Bill has decided to cancel the nuclear testing at KSC.  He has decided to make a Grand Tour of all the stock planets and moons, landing on every one, but without using NERVAs.  Mods used were KIS, Engineer, and Kerbal Alarm Clock

The album is pretty long, so heres the summary :)

Bill took off into LKO, and took an ion hopper to the Mun and Minmus.  Next he split the ship in half.  The first half went to the inner planets, landing on Eve with a special lander, and Gilly and Moho using ions.  All flights between planets were made in a lander can, but all landings were using command chairs to save weight.  

He made it back to Kerbin orbit barely, and had to leave the can in an elliptical orbit, taking a little ion hopper to meet the Outer planet half of the mothership for a can of gas.  Finally reassembled, he headed for Jool.

Jool he bounced around the moons, landing on Laythe with a Rapier powered spaceplane, Tylo with a custom lander.  Vall and Pol he used the core of the Tylo lander (LFO powered), and Bop with ions.  

Next he took the lander can and ion hopper to Eeloo, while sending the remaining LFO powered mothership to Duna ahead.  After visiting Eeloo and Dres, he met back up in Ike orbit, and took the remains of the Laythe plane down to Duna.

Finally, he used the last of the ions to get a Kerbin intercept, and landed the Tylo lander core powered landing on top of the VAB.  Victory!

Photo Album

That is absolutely amazing. This is the best mission I have seen in a long time. You should feel very proud of that ship, and not to mention without any nukes, Wow! Great job! Amazing! Anyone who completes a grand tour without mining or refueling in 1 launch like you did should get a special reward.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this- I'm super impressed, @Jetski! No nukes is impressive, but it's the no 3.5m that gets me. Getting orange tanks off Kerbin in v1.1 was a serious challenge!

120dV capture to Moho seems outrageous to me. I normally have to spend a couple km/s! Nice.

Those Jool landers were *so* tiny! I'll stick to my megalanders, but it's nice to see just how small you can go.

It's funny for me to think of a mothership as a 2ton thing with ion engines. It seemed to work a treat around Eeloo, though.

Finishing with 0dV is super climactic! Nice choice of 'landing pad', and thanks for getting Bill out and about for some well needed excitement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.