Oliverm001x

Post your Engineering Marvels Here for the World to See

87 posts in this topic

Post your Engineering Marvels!

Since the genesis of mankind, the human race has observed growth of monumental proportions. Engineers and scientist, invented and inspired others, to create the best solutions, to all of man's problems. That is exactly what we are doing here! Below, you can show the world your amazing creations, an exhibition so to speak. This will show everyone your engineering talents, whilst also providing inspirations to others, to accelerate the KSP engineering :)!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Indeed! You can really whiteness the ingenuity:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a couple cargo ships I built. I call the larger one "Procyon", it was designed to resemble ocean cargo ships. Tried a more Star Trek-y look on the other ship. It doesn't have a name yet.

These were both built with the sole purpose of looking good but it turns out they actually handle surprisingly well. I haven't tested the smaller ship's performance yet but the larger one has about 8000 m/s of delta-v while carrying more than 120 tons of ore. It's sluggish as hell, but then again it's basically a flying ocean liner :sticktongue:

mqX4MkO.png

laxxKe5.png

2Xn3cMD.png

pBH3SN5.png

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2017 at 3:36 AM, CaptainKorhonen said:

Here's a couple cargo ships I built. I call the larger one "Procyon", it was designed to resemble ocean cargo ships. Tried a more Star Trek-y look on the other ship. It doesn't have a name yet.

These were both built with the sole purpose of looking good but it turns out they actually handle surprisingly well. I haven't tested the smaller ship's performance yet but the larger one has about 8000 m/s of delta-v while carrying more than 120 tons of ore. It's sluggish as hell, but then again it's basically a flying ocean liner :sticktongue:

mqX4MkO.png

laxxKe5.png

2Xn3cMD.png

pBH3SN5.png

 

 

Wow! The general aesthetic is very clean and professional. What is the TWR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

Wow! The general aesthetic is very clean and professional. What is the TWR

I've lost the craft files already so I can't check, but it was certainly less than 0.1, possibly less than 0.05. I recall Kerbin to Jool transfer burns taking about half an hour in real time, and that's ignoring the burns required to raise the apoapsis out of Kerbin's SOI (5 to 10 burns, 8 minutes each in real time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reserving for the Volta :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

I've lost the craft files already so I can't check, but it was certainly less than 0.1, possibly less than 0.05. I recall Kerbin to Jool transfer burns taking about half an hour in real time, and that's ignoring the burns required to raise the apoapsis out of Kerbin's SOI (5 to 10 burns, 8 minutes each in real time).

:cool: Cool never the less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K340-100

 

 

After years of development, R&D, and excruciating head scratching, the impeccable and notorious engineers at the KSC have unveiled the initial aircraft! The k340-100. While the craft was not christened with an original name (primarily due to it basically being named after the a340 except with a K instead of the A, come to think of it everything in KSP is:cool:), the design varies from the recognised a340 concept. Below are some pictures to incite your senses (for the better) and to give you an overview of the aircraft.

An exterior view of the aircraft:

imo5y4g.png

 

The joy filled pilots on this inaugural flight! Jaris and Gemzy will be remembered for EVER!

ptU0n6y.png 

 

Another exterior view, which was taken whilst attempting a ditch in the choppy waters of the "Korean-Like" coast:

w8oowuf.png

 

How did the ditch go? You may ask!

 

A Success!

Gs9akSXg.png

 

Sort of...

uWsZPxv.png

 

But at any rate, below are some more images depicting this pinnacle of construction:

ab37qM4.png

 

jDfVAhX.png

jQcOR9S.png

 

So the aircraft:

The Aircraft was engineered during a four year span, when Kerbin entered a state of financial prosperity. The only aircraft at the time was a simple "stock" aircraft that was given to them for free by the Squad "masters" as they were referred to. In layman's terms there was a distinctive problem, lot of tourists but no aircraft to accommodate them. So Jeb and co got to work and the K340-100 was born. Jeb and co clearly ignored the request by their superior officials, "please start on a small scale", As the aircraft has the following statistics:

 

aACJHlV.png     56CqsTi.png

The aircraft is comprised of 4 Goliath Engines, each tweak-scaled to 200% of their initial size. The aircraft is constructed utilizing the "Stock Extension Revived" mods, which enable the engineers to use business and economy cabin modules. To be exact on this aircraft, there are 2 Business Modules for the richest of the rich, and 4 Economy modules, named "scum class", by the Kerbal Airways. Long story short, after legal proceedings and lawsuits, it was renamed to economy class. This enables a high capacity, whilst maintaining an optimal aircraft length (49.8 meters) relative to the wingspan(51.1 meters). To improve the pitch and the overall maneuverability of the K340, canards were implemented at the front, resulting in immense lift! It gives Jeb nightmares:wink:. Nevertheless, pilots love to fly this aircraft as it is strangely maneuverable relative to its size. The aircraft also has sufficient range, as I flew it for long distances around Kerbin, with the fuel tank containing 31,909 kg of liquid fuel.

While the aircraft is not perfect, it is certainly a perfect first attempt for the bright minds at the KSC! And it is fully ditch-able :D, warranting it a place on the ultimate proving grounds of the Pinnacles Of Construction.

Craft Link: https://kerbalx.com/Oliverm001x/K340--100

This is from my other thread!

Edited by Oliverm001x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How often do we refer to doing the F5/F9 cycle as a "simulated run"?

Ever wanted to see that simulator?

Edit: This comes from Part 3 of my Project Overkill mission report / cinematic, in case you want to see the context.

 

Edit 2:  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to actually run Star Tours in KSP.  I used Wild Blue Industries Plasma Screens with a blank green screen loaded in.  I used After Effects to composite Star Tours (downloaded using Hyper from YouTube) into the shot using Perspective Pin under Track Motion.  If your background plate doesn't jerk around like mine, you can use Ultrakey in Premiere.  I happen to have these programs for my stock video sideline, so I'm not sure what if any lower cost software packages can be used instead.

 

Edited by Soda Popinski
10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

How often do we refer to doing the F5/F9 cycle as a "simulated run"?

Ever wanted to see that simulator?

 

:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

How often do we refer to doing the F5/F9 cycle as a "simulated run"?

Ever wanted to see that simulator?

Edit: This comes from Part 3 of my Project Overkill mission report / cinematic, in case you want to see the context.

 

Wow, that's awesome! Infernal Robotics I'm assuming? Got a craft file? :wink: I could use one of those for my mission report :cool: 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Wow, that's awesome! Infernal Robotics I'm assuming? Got a craft file? :wink: I could use one of those for my mission report :cool: 

Would also love it :P:) :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Would also love it :P:) :cool:

I'll put up a Craft file when I get a chance.  And yes, Infernal Robotics.  I'm still learning it, so it's a bit jerky.

I found the cupola a bit too heavy, so the thing tends to misalign after extended use.  I built it with Kerbal Attachment System struts so it can be secured during saves, and transport (hack gravity to move it around with RCS).  So you'll need KAS and probably KIS too.

I'll likely be building a smaller one using a command seat instead, as a replacement for this one after a later incident not yet seen in my cinematics.

 

Edit:  You'll also need Wild Blue Industries for the Plasma Screens.

Edited by Soda Popinski
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, thanks! I'll be looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I'll put up a Craft file when I get a chance.  And yes, Infernal Robotics.  I'm still learning it, so it's a bit jerky.

I found the cupola a bit too heavy, so the thing tends to misalign after extended use.  I built it with Kerbal Attachment System struts so it can be secured during saves, and transport (hack gravity to move it around with RCS).  So you'll need KAS and probably KIS too.

I'll likely be building a smaller one using a command seat instead, as a replacement for this one after a later incident not yet seen in my cinematics.

It is fantastic to say the least, and I am hoping to getting to playing around with it myself as soon as possible :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

It is fantastic to say the least, and I am hoping to getting to playing around with it myself as soon as possible :P 

Here's the craft file.  You'll need Infernal Robotics, Kerbal Attachment System, and Kerbal Inventory System.  I believe that's all the non-stock parts involved. Enjoy!

 

Edit: D'oh!  I mentioned it earlier, but forgot here. You also need Wild Blue Industries for the plasma screen.  Make a green screen or better yet a red screen to load in for keying.  I suggest not green, as the Kerbals will get keyed out, so you need to despill them.  Probably easier to use red.

Edited by Soda Popinski
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I present to you: the biggest (practical) craft I have ever built (I built it for my mission report):

The Intrepid Test Vehicle 020 Philosopher of Time!

NADTm84.png

 

It is about twice as big at launch from Kerbin:

ApKMWY8.png

The booster stage is dropped before it reaches orbit, but when you're in orbit, you can probably do a one way trip to Moho if you refill oxidizer on Minmus, go to Eve orbit and Gilly, Mun orbit, Minmus, Duna orbit and maybe Ike, Bop and Pol, Low orbit of Jool's moons, and maybe Eeloo.

It is fully equipped with mining equipment, several Nerv and Vector engines, 18 gigantor panels, radiators, the biggest relay antenna, scanning equipment, and probe control.

pGIcWXn.png

It is nearly 100 meters tall, has a few docking ports, is bigger than my previous biggest lifter which got 1500 tons of supplies to Minmus, and accelerates like a snail.

 

 

Oh, yeah, and it can carry 916 Kerbals.

*dabs*

 

It would only take three and a half of them to evacuate my entire town to space. (If we lived on Kerbin.)

And if I ever actually get back into my mission report, I literally have a plan for a ten thousand Kerbal starship.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new trophy truck:

l2IKPUz.png

Overall, it's not that marvelous. It's the suspension which is beautiful.

The wheels are mounted on pivoted arms. They interact with the chassis through Kerbal Foundries antigravity repulsors. Compression is provided by one such repulsor near the end of each trailing arm, while rebound is provided by another under the seats. The arms are reinforced by struts on pivots mounted to the opposite side of the chassis, preventing twisting and rolling. The travel can suck up twenty-meter drops at eighty meters per second onto irregular ground. Even if you roll it and break the suspension out of its safe zone, it will usually return to operating parameters (assuming you didn't rip the truck in half already). It can drive at 30m/s with one trailing arm missing, though its steering capability is much reduced.

Further development is required to ascertain whether complex front suspension is worth pursuit.

Spoiler

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I present to you: the biggest (practical) craft I have ever built (I built it for my mission report):

The Intrepid Test Vehicle 020 Philosopher of Time!

NADTm84.png

 

It is about twice as big at launch from Kerbin:

ApKMWY8.png

The booster stage is dropped before it reaches orbit, but when you're in orbit, you can probably do a one way trip to Moho if you refill oxidizer on Minmus, go to Eve orbit and Gilly, Mun orbit, Minmus, Duna orbit and maybe Ike, Bop and Pol, Low orbit of Jool's moons, and maybe Eeloo.

It is fully equipped with mining equipment, several Nerv and Vector engines, 18 gigantor panels, radiators, the biggest relay antenna, scanning equipment, and probe control.

pGIcWXn.png

It is nearly 100 meters tall, has a few docking ports, is bigger than my previous biggest lifter which got 1500 tons of supplies to Minmus, and accelerates like a snail.

 

 

Oh, yeah, and it can carry 916 Kerbals.

*dabs*

 

It would only take three and a half of them to evacuate my entire town to space. (If we lived on Kerbin.)

And if I ever actually get back into my mission report, I literally have a plan for a ten thousand Kerbal starship.

Oh my word:cool:!, Can you post a picture of the Engineer's Report, I wonder just how many parts this monster has. :wink:

 

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

My new trophy truck:

l2IKPUz.png

Overall, it's not that marvelous. It's the suspension which is beautiful.

The wheels are mounted on pivoted arms. They interact with the chassis through Kerbal Foundries antigravity repulsors. Compression is provided by one such repulsor near the end of each trailing arm, while rebound is provided by another under the seats. The arms are reinforced by struts on pivots mounted to the opposite side of the chassis, preventing twisting and rolling. The travel can suck up twenty-meter drops at eighty meters per second onto irregular ground. Even if you roll it and break the suspension out of its safe zone, it will usually return to operating parameters (assuming you didn't rip the truck in half already). It can drive at 30m/s with one trailing arm missing, though its steering capability is much reduced.

Further development is required to ascertain whether complex front suspension is worth pursuit.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

Beautiful :) You should have entered this into the Kerbal Dakar :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

Beautiful :) You should have entered this into the Kerbal Dakar :wink: 

I would've entered its predecessor, but the Magnus was too unstable. I only started work on this a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 0111narwhalz said:

I would've entered its predecessor, but the Magnus was too unstable. I only started work on this a few days ago.

It has a wide wheel-base which is usually good on tarmac, and hill-like terrain, the concept is good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didn't always have a wide wheelbase. The first iteration was only about two-thirds this. It rolled far too often, so I rebuilt the chassis from scratch.

Also, for the concept I must thank whichever crazy bugger built the first trophy truck.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now