Post your Engineering Marvels Here for the World to See

On 2/26/2017 at 11:10 PM, Oliverm001x said:

Cool! Look forward to trying it :) 

In completely different lifting classes here, but building generic lifters reminded me of when I first launched my Jool mission in 2013.  I was using a 30t capable craft with a RAPIER core stage and turbo jet boosters.  I'm not sure if this build would work in the current game.  Guess I'll try rebuilding it.

MyeGOBf.jpg

Edited by Soda Popinski

20 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

In completely different lifting classes here, but building generic lifters reminded me of when I first launched my Jool mission in 2013.  I was using a 30t capable craft with a RAPIER core stage and turbo jet boosters.  I'm not sure if this build would work in the current game.  Guess I'll try rebuilding it.

MyeGOBf.jpg

Wow... What is the deltaV on this monster :) ?

43 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Wow... What is the deltaV on this monster :) ?

Not a whole lot due to the 30t payload.  That's just a lifter on the bottom to bring up the Command Section of the Discovery 2.  It's just a Rockomax X200-32 with TurboFan boosters.  It's got 9 TurboFans to help the (probably) 4 RAPIERs (starting in open cycle) to have the TWR to get off the ground.  I've got  a crapton of intakes to get as much air as possible.  I'm counting 10 intakes per booster, and 12 on the core.  I flew it like a rocket, not a spaceplane, so oxygen ran out fairly quickly, which is when I dumped the TurboFan boosters, and eventually switch the RAPIERs to closed cycle.  It was back in 2013 I launched it, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics.

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Not a whole lot due to the 30t payload.  That's just a lifter on the bottom to bring up the Command Section of the Discovery 2.  It's just a Rockomax X200-32 with TurboFan boosters.  It's got 9 TurboFans to help the (probably) 4 RAPIERs (starting in open cycle) to have the TWR to get off the ground.  I've got  a crapton of intakes to get as much air as possible.  I'm counting 10 intakes per booster, and 12 on the core.  I flew it like a rocket, not a spaceplane, so oxygen ran out fairly quickly, which is when I dumped the TurboFan boosters, and eventually switch the RAPIERs to closed cycle.  It was back in 2013 I launched it, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics.

If you can remember, what altitude does the system work up to, with all of the additional intakes per booster/core?

9 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

If you can remember, what altitude does the system work up to, with all of the additional intakes per booster/core?

When I get a chance, I'll check the Description of the file.  This was originally built in 0.23, and may not even load up in my "current" 0.23.5 game.  I know for a fact my Science Lander won't load up the VAB due to unavailable parts.

Before you ask, the craft file would likely be useless as it has parts from a very old versions of KAS, and probably KER, Kethane and who knows what else.

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

When I get a chance, I'll check the Description of the file.  This was originally built in 0.23, and may not even load up in my "current" 0.23.5 game.  I know for a fact my Science Lander won't load up the VAB due to unavailable parts.

Before you ask, the craft file would likely be useless as it has parts from a very old versions of KAS, and probably KER, Kethane and who knows what else.

From the vintage KSP era :cool:

58 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

You want vintage, I'm sure I could pull some 0.20.1 stuff off my old hard disk. :cool:

None of it's really that great, though.

Come to think of it, a brilliant unmentioned(until now) engineering feat is how Squad devolved KSP :) From good to impeccable! From the basic standard, to the pinnacle of aerospace games!

Edited by Oliverm001x

2 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

From the vintage KSP era :cool:

Vintage?!  I'm still playing that savegame!  I'm quite a bit ahead on the game that what I've shown in my Mission Report / Cinematic, but still haven't completed the rescue mission.  So I'm still playing.

Edited by Soda Popinski

1 hour ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I find it interesting that even at close to 40,000m you still get lift.

OpgDjnq.png

Haha, odd aerodynamics :wink: . The aircraft is still within the atmosphere.

Edited by Oliverm001x

23 hours ago, Kaiser82 said:

Has anyone attempted a mid-air refueling before?

Yes. I don't remember the results though. Might be fun with KAS and some sort of autopilot for the tanker.

A trio of craft with moving parts, all 100% stock, guaranteed.

qgXVXfs.png

F8U Crusader, with variable-incidence wing.

nXd1AA1.gif

F-35 with swiveling engine + Lift fan.

a4iBizm.gif

1:1 scale F-14 Tomcat with swing wings.

I'm running out of planes that have moving parts (the XB-70 and the F-111 are the only ones left), so I'll have to come up with something new pretty soon :P

Taking inspiration from Blue Origin's recent New Glenn video, I decided to take SpaceX and Blue Origin, and mesh them together, creating this:sOVzGlC.png

The Dragon 2 capsule from @tygoo7's excellent Tundra Exploration is capable of propulsively landing itself, as is the booster.

The booster is based on the New Shepard, but has SpaceX's grid fins for control. It's connected to the capsule with docking ports, so the same capsule and booster can be reattached and reflown.

Moar pics:

Spoiler

Testing legs:gEnBoj5.png

Liftoff!j4LbIxN.png

FMRS is armed.9da0H5F.png

The rocket ascends. The Vector plume is now nearly invisible.mKphYem.png

Apoapsis established, and the Vector shuts down.mGjJFp9.png

The capsule separates from the booster.tGRpS9x.png

FMRS is working as expected.9zG9IiN.png

The capsule falls back in the atmosphere and the four grid fins extend for control.AD3flTs.png

Reentry is not very stressful.ZSyqY5q.png

As 1.5 kilometers above sea level, the engines on the capsule ignite for a propulsive landing.xslR0uf.png

Gears deployed.oHSNkx6.png

Descending...suLxQOI.png

And touchdown!vS4BiWV.png

Now for the booster landing.

FMRS is used to switch back to the booster.kQ8tT3T.png

Grid fins deployed.ER9cYMM.png

Reentry is more stressful for the booster.ZX6bbjH.png

Engine ignition at 3.7 kilometers.8ITOwp5.png

Gears deployed.kW0dD0O.png

Almost there...erlB4NT.png

And touchdown!6WJyhcM.png

Switching back to the landed capsule. Mission success!vwv0btZ.png

I'll provide a download link soon. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.