Post your Engineering Marvels Here for the World to See

The Eagle MkII

The Eagle MkII is a relatively low range, fast aircraft. However, it can only carry two kerbals. By fast, I mean MACH 5 FAST.  

Let us go over the details:

This is a very capable plane that has approx. 34,000 m/s of delta-v.

It is somewhat controllable.

Landing it is a bit hard though, as you have to land at less than 70 m/s and at a degree higher than -10 degrees.

Here is the KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/Muhammed_Abdilrahmin_2005/Eagle-MkII

Fun Fact: It is possible to retratct the landing gear when you have landed somewhere relatively flat

NUFF' SAID, HERE ARE THE PICTURES:

SXAYDlV.jpgHYaonsv.jpgBuWlWB4.jpg5JMw7dc.jpg39Eo0xt.jpgVz10ckJ.jpgrvspmMY.jpgsXYgpWF.jpggFasrNH.jpgPJvkTmF.jpgR5uvMEd.jpgZZLQy5f.jpg

5 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Testing my New Shepard / Dragon V2 reusable space tourism vehicle:

I landed a bit closer than I expected...

uZo1a1q.png

eqPlFFX.png

Now to make a crane that can lift up the capsule and place it back onto the booster for reuse. 

I see much practical use in this.

I built a Rocker-Bogie suspension system for my Rover I plan to land on the Mun.  Same system JPL has used on their Mars Rovers.

The Rocker-Bogie system first flew on the "Sojourner" on the Mars Parthfinder, then on the Mars Exploration Rovers, "Spirit" and "Opportunity," and finally on the Mars Science Laboratory, "Curiosity."

It's called a Rocker-Bogie because it's able to rock (duh), and it uses 2 wheel bogies, like a train.  The system should allow all 6 wheels to stay on the ground under most circumstances.  Probably overkill for KSP muns.

Sojourner and the MERs used a differential gear between the two main rocker joints to keep the rover aligned with the average pitch of the main rocker arms.  I previously used this when I made one in Besiege.  I couldn't figure out how to build a differential gear here, so I went with a differential bar.  It was good enough for the Curiosity Rover.  Wish I thought of that when I made one in Fantastic Contraption.

The joints were made using Infernal Robotics Free moving Washers.  The main rover body was from Wild Blue Industries.  I'm not sure if the wheels are from Wild Blue Industries or Modular Kolony System.

• 2 weeks later...

After weeks and weeks of restless R&D Kerbals and many changes, the KSP finally rolled out the K-16. It is a very fast and maneuverable plane. It is also much, much, MUCH easier to liftoff and land than the Eagle MKII. It can reach Mach 4 in 1 minute and 56 seconds.

So here is the craft file:

https://kerbalx.com/Muhammed_Abdilrahmin_2005/K-16

And here are the pictures:

Edited by mabdi36

7 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

After weeks and weeks of restless R&D Kerbals and many changes, the KSP finally rolled out the K-16. It is a very fast and maneuverable plane. It is also much, much, MUCH easier to liftoff and land than the Eagle MKII. It can reach Mach 4 in 1 minute and 56 seconds.

WOW!!!!

On 17/03/2017 at 5:25 PM, Soda Popinski said:

I built a Rocker-Bogie suspension system for my Rover I plan to land on the Mun.  Same system JPL has used on their Mars Rovers.

The Rocker-Bogie system first flew on the "Sojourner" on the Mars Parthfinder, then on the Mars Exploration Rovers, "Spirit" and "Opportunity," and finally on the Mars Science Laboratory, "Curiosity."

It's called a Rocker-Bogie because it's able to rock (duh), and it uses 2 wheel bogies, like a train.  The system should allow all 6 wheels to stay on the ground under most circumstances.  Probably overkill for KSP mu-

And this is when I need to ask this question: how do I make these joints?

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

And this is when I need to ask this question: how do I make these joints?

I used Infernal Robotics unpowered washers.  If you're a stock only guy, you could try with "thermometer joints" - but I've never played with them.

Incidentally, I wanted to pack it into a 2.5m fairing, so I used some more Infernal Magic to make it work.

Edited by Soda Popinski

21 hours ago, Mikki said:

Some time ago when i made it but still fun to watch:

https://youtu.be/20Y2SX6UIr4

Cannot make a window running youtube ... :(:confused:

Reminds me of the star Wars AT-AT's. Impeccable to say the least. (Is this the start of a new youtube series:cool:?)

Edited by Oliverm001x

9 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Reminds me of the star Wars AT-AT's. Impeccable to say the least. (Is this the start of a new youtube series:cool:?)

Thanks, :D...but sadly no, i have little time in reallife for gaming. Maybe better so, people would be scared when they learn about my real profession... I make such stuff to relax...:wink:

On 3/28/2017 at 3:16 PM, mabdi36 said:

You really don't need landing gear that wide on any plane.  It can cause issues with the wings snapping off if you come in too fast too.

21 hours ago, Rath said:

You really don't need landing gear that wide on any plane.  It can cause issues with the wings snapping off if you come in too fast too.

I will try to fix this problem.

Thank you for your feedback.

Edited by mabdi36
Add some gratitude

Does Software Engineering Marvels count?  I spent way too much time making a Rover autopilot system so I wouldn't have to manually drive Bogie McBogeface for 13 hours.  As I haven't taken a programming course since high school in the early 90s, this probably took me just slightly less than 13 hours.  At least, I can use it again (doing it right now to for a surface rescue mission).

Of course this was done in kOS.  I'm able to set autopilot to hold heading, navigate to a built in way point, input my own way points with latitude and longitude, and most importantly, navigate way points in sequence.

This next bit wasn't quite as hard, but was very helpful.  I'm midway through the tech tree, on have only unlocked the Panther jet engine.  I wanted to do an orbital rescue with an SSTO, but found I needed to really fine tune the ascent profile.  So I wrote an ascent profile sequencer.  I can specify the pitch angle and action groups to activate once you hit specific altitudes.  Unfortunately, my SSTO didn't fly too well (or was that me), and I lost control approaching the runway.  At least I got close to KSC, and nobody died.

Until I unlock more stuff in Roverdude's Modular Kolonization System, this is my completed station, "Curie Orbital Akademy & Gas Station."
Main points

• Mobile Processing Lab to convert that data into science and life support recycling
  • Hitchhiker habitat to for habitat/life support
  • 2 attached Liquid Fuel Tankers (using MKS inflatable tanks, since I haven't unlocked the Mk. III parts yet
  • Inflatable Habitat for more hab/life support
  • Newly attached set of trusses with 8 de-orbit pods and an RCS tug
  • Tundra Akademy to train up the kerbonauts
  • Tundra Power Distribution Unit with nuclear fuel / waste storage

Here's a clip of bringing up those last few parts.

I've currently got a pathetic SSTO attached, which couldn't even make it to this 150km orbit.  I've only unlocked up to the Panther, and could get it barely to 72km in orbit.  Docked it with one of the tankers which brought it the rest of the way.

Here's a still to get a closer look.  Note, I hadn't jettisoned the booster attached to the Akademy module.
eJAobTX.png

DISCLAIMER: MINOR PORTAL 2 SPOILERS

IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME, VIEW AT OWN DISCRETION.

Spoiler

6JiNOoL.png

Wk7DQlB.jpg

Oh, It's You.

Igvxe3u.jpg

This is amazing! I can go anywhere in the Fa- Hang on there, follow the rail. Yeah, just follow the rail.

Gha7FgL.jpg

You know, if I could, I would take it all back. Really. And not just because i'm stranded in space.

SSSPPPAAACCCEEE!!!

Edited by MiffedStarfish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.