Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 results thread

Triop

3 hours ago, WesleyWestland said:

I wondered how well a vehicle without jet engines would do. Answer: Not very well. I'm not going for the fastest time, simply finishing will be a nice challenge by itself.

Physics warp worked fine on the first leg, I drove nearly all of it on 4x speed. I never exceeded 25 m/s anyway. On the second leg, steep downgrades sped me up too much. Maybe I shouldn't use 'cruise control' (trim) either. :P

Im a firm believer in pure wheel traction, with '705 the jet engines work a bit like an ion engine in that, theyll hardly move the train on flat level..all.they do is accelerate top speed.. That and thier a nod to earlier trains.. I dont think its a requirement to have jet engines at all :)

Her power comes from the 20 wheel drive, your trucks a beautiful machine

Dont be discouraged by the simple wheelbase.. Time acceleration itself might be the bigger enemy as it tends to increase forces.  I know not everyone likes to drive realtime but..careful and defensive driving would win out to more power under time acceleration I feel

Dont worry about times :) im not..like yourself simply completing this route is a happy achievement itself of both machine and her driver :)

Best of luck to you

Edited by Overland

YOU KNOW WHAT, SCREW THE ODR-5!!!!! I'M GOING BACK OUT THERE, AND I'M NOT GOING TO FAIL!!!!! I WILL FINISH THE DAKAR, I WILL NOT GIVE UP, AND I WILL WIN!!!!! 

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!

#FullSpeedAhead

#Team757

As a precursor, like stated in the discussion thread, there was a bug with the times on my run. I will assure you that the race was done in one run, with one rover and no quicksaves. The only "saving" I did was going to the space center after each stage completion. That being said, here's my entry.

The Dagger:

Sjjx01J.jpg

Solar/Fuel Cell powered buggy with two Juno engines. The RCS is because it tends to nosedive on jumps. Two thrusters at the back keep it somewhat level when getting airtime.

Album link, since I only realised that we were supposed to leave all screenshots here...

Imgur Album Link

Total Time: 02:07:11

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.