The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

Welcome to the official Kerbal Dakar 2017.

CTy1nJq.png

Aerial overview by DoctorDavinci:

Spoiler

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Some stages will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

How it works:

1. Download the "Official Kerbal Dakar 2017" savefile.

It is a empty savegame containing only the 7 flags needed to set up the route.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nz4myuv7a1tdmr/AAAn2y3Yj6v0RDsOkfE0yUVaa?dl=0

If you are using 1.2.1, Open the persistence file in a text editor and change the third line from 'version = 1.2.2' to 'version = 1.2.1.

DoctorDavinci's explanation :

1- Download the Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 save file form the link provided.
2- Copy the Dakar2017 save game to the save game folder that will be found in your KSP directory ... {your KSP install location}/savegames/.
3- Go back into KSP, click on 'load save' and select Official Kerbal Dakar 2017.
4- Start racing :wink:.

2. Design a manned rover.

- Use mods or make it stock, it's up to you.

- You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no flying (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

- Minimal 1 Kerbal, so no drones.

- No saving during stages.

- When a stage is finished you can save and start the next stage when ever you like.

- If you crash during a stage, and you can't repair you have to restart the complete rally.

3. Start to finish, how to.

- You will have to complete 7 stages, timing each using screenshots (press F1, the screenshot will be found in your KSP directory {your KSP install location}/Screenshots/ ) , 2 per stage, showing us the rover near the flag. E.g:

Screenshot 1.

XYnuNbf.png

Screenshot 2

kI1dkNR.png

Make your starting screenshot when the clock hits 0 seconds, this will make calculating time easier.

Now calculate your time, in my case: start: 00.28.00 finish: 00.44.11 = total stage time: 00.16.11

When calculating your time, keep in mind a clock has 60 minutes and 60 seconds, so don't add up to 100.

When done, upload your results here:

The challenge will end on February 1st 2017, you have till then to upload your results.

The winner will be known 1st week of February.

Goodluck!

The 7 stages:

x225o2P.png

XmuzJeo.png

5IX1RUk.png

WSfcI5A.png

hjOT8TO.png

0meMaQ6.png

WfIKuvC.png

Before starting to ask me all sort of questions, please read this thread :

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Happy New Year and happy new thread.

Unofficial preview of stage six for those just discovering the challenge for the first time

-snip-

You are some serious competitor...:cool:

Edited by Triop

18 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

That okay if I use my save I have already?

Since I know you are with us from the start, I would say yes, why not.

But since the Kerbal Dakar became a community, I'm leading a democratie so I'm not in control anymore, the people are.

I'm sure many of you already have finished all the stages, made screenshots, but the challenge starts today, so all previous rides where practice.

To be clear, the time I send in was done as an example, not legit.

Edited by Triop

Ok, here's my probably rather silly problem: I am not seeing any flags. 

I downloaded the save file (the whole folder). Placed it with the other saves. Replaced the "1.2.2" with "1.2.1" in the persistent file as instructed. Started KSP. Opened the save file (it's there, and it opens without error). Went into the Tracking station and saw no flags (yes, I toggled the flags at the top of the screen, it reads 0 flags). Also when I load a vehicle onto the runway, I don't see the blueish marker near the horizon that I expect from a flag. 

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Here are my Stage 1 Results:

I think your results post should be placed in the thread below

And it seems i was overly cautious on my first attempt and submission , as i understand it  If I construct a new vehicle i can run it again?  If this is so I'll be going again at least once and will run at least one stock build I reckon,  I certainly didn't get into this to come mid field

tBt99kU.jpg

Here she is Ladies and Gentlemen, My Dakar 2017 submission. WHEEL POWER ONLY, stocked with all the necessities to complete each stage back to back. No pit stops, no bringing in new vehicles for damage. She'll make it all in one go. Stage one complete, posting pics and results on results forum. 

-Leafy

13 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Ok, here's my probably rather silly problem: I am not seeing any flags. 

I downloaded the save file (the whole folder). Placed it with the other saves. Replaced the "1.2.2" with "1.2.1" in the persistent file as instructed. Started KSP. Opened the save file (it's there, and it opens without error). Went into the Tracking station and saw no flags (yes, I toggled the flags at the top of the screen, it reads 0 flags). Also when I load a vehicle onto the runway, I don't see the blueish marker near the horizon that I expect from a flag. 

Any thoughts?

That's a bummer, do more people have this problem ?

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

Well I scratched.

c70d1a38a608d2466f802b7ce87e5e9c.png

no idea why, I built and built it...hmmmm

So did I... :unsure:

w0AtgAV.png

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

If I construct a new vehicle i can run it again?

Yes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.